Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a pain in the @#$

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Hiring based on qualifications improves the product through solid engineering and consistent build quality.
Its a shame HD corporate chose a path that ignores that.

​​​​​​​you know who is on the bod, but do you know who is actually designing the bikes? how do you know they aren't qualified?

Last edited by skratch; Yesterday at 01:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,758 Likes on 6,482 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Just because a clutch with 20yr old fluid is working, that doesn't mean the fluid is good or that it's a good idea to keep the same fluid for 20yrs. I would suspect if you took a trip through some mountains, at altitude in hot weather, you could lose your clutch because of the water build-up in the clutch fluid.
100% what Hatt said.

Slave cylinder is next to the exhaust and water boils before brake fluid does. Lost my clutch in heavy traffic on my Montana trip 2 yrs ago. If this happens and you're on a trip, let the bike cool off and you're good to go, at least till the moisture in the fluid boils again.

Made it to a motel in Cheyenne Wyoming, went and bought a vacuum bleeder at NAPA, and I bled mine in the parking lot. Mines a 2016 Ultra Limited, and I was able to access it without removing exhaust.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneBone:
Goose_NC (Yesterday), hattitude (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,206 Likes on 3,379 Posts

I really like the hydraulic clutch system, but the Harley slave can be a POS. The Muller slave makes the system operate as it should. My OE slave was one of the bad ones that you have read about that takes two men and a monkey to squeeze to get the clutch to release.

I will be trimming my cover this winter when I do the flush, I am changing the entire exhaust system, anyway.

Either that or I might just roll the bike out in the driveway, and light it on fire. I haven't yet decided, just yet.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
100% what Hatt said.

Slave cylinder is next to the exhaust and water boils before brake fluid does. Lost my clutch in heavy traffic on my Montana trip 2 yrs ago. If this happens and you're on a trip, let the bike cool off and you're good to go, at least till the moisture in the fluid boils again.

Made it to a motel in Cheyenne Wyoming, went and bought a vacuum bleeder at NAPA, and I bled mine in the parking lot. Mines a 2016 Ultra Limited, and I was able to access it without removing exhaust.
Can we agree Harley bleeped up and anvil?

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
I’m gonna go ahead and ask what the shift lever is about?
It has a mechanical Revers. That make mine stick out just under another 1/2 inch. Yea I trimmer the cover that trapped more heat. Took cover off . Toss it it scrap pile. Painted the the thing and called it done.

I could wiggle it off with stock header without reverse but with my 2-1-2 it was a total waste of time . Took CAT out of stock header put it back on.
Run great sounds good

Decide I like the way it looks painted. Black Epoxy holds up great.