Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

counter-stear or lean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:11 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: counter-stear or lean?

Push left...go left. Push right...go right. Unless you're road racing on a crotch rocket....that's all you need to know.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:20 AM
jmac997
6th Gear

I gotta go take a safety course so I understand what you guys are talking about.

I just ride my bike. It takes me where I want to go. I have fun getting there.

Obviously, I need to start analyzing things a little more.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

actually at lower speed (parking lot) you can really turn these bigger bikes counter steering.... I do it all the time solo of course... kinda the **** off the seat method lol

Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty scary to think about all the people that are riding m/c's that don't have a clue to what they are doing.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 AM
07roadie
Advanced

I have to make a little more effort to use the counter-steer method on my RG than the last bike I had (Vulcan Meanstreak) it was lighter with a smaller front tire, that bike was more nimble, andfast to start a corner. I do believe everybody does it, they just dont know what it is.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

there was a video of a test bike where the guy had 2 sets of handlebars, one was fixed. the idea was to show folks how countersteering works, and leaning doesn't. a bunch of folks who said that they steer by leaning found out the hard way that leaning didn't get them squat..... yes, they were leaning, but countersteering got them turning. they were just leaning in response to the bike leaning into a turn. not vice versa

Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

It's pretty scary to think about all the people that are riding m/c's that don't have a clue to what they are doing.
[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

Soooo.. Say you are riding rather fast down a paved road with lots-of twisties (counter-steering hard)... as you are going through one of the curves,the pavement ends, and there is loose gravel for the final 15 feet of the curve. You can't slow the bike down because there is several bikes on your tail, or change your lean angle cause of a drop-off on both sides of the road. Would you still counter-steer or try leaning? Which wouldkeep the bike in the track with min.slipping on the loose rocks?

Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

Nah, not really. You don't have to havea PHD's understanding of the physics involved in order to competently maneuver the bike. It doesn't hurt, but it's not an absolute necessity.

As has been pointed out in several posts above this one, there are a number of techniques that are employed to make the bike turn in the way the rider want it to. Everything starts with countersteering but applying extra weight to the inside peg or footboard and/or shifting your weight to the inside of the seat all help the process.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Ultra_Bob

Soooo.. Say you are riding rather fast down a paved road with lots-of twisties (counter-steering hard)... as you are going through one of the curves,the pavement ends, and there is loose gravel for the final 15 feet of the curve. You can't slow the bike down because there is several bikes on your tail, or change your lean angle cause of a drop-off on both sides of the road. Would you still counter-steer or try leaning? Which wouldkeep the bike in the track with min.slipping on the loose rocks?
Listen to what you're asking!! You just dropped into a bunch of loose gravel. You're riding fast and you can't slow down because of all your friends tail gating you. There's a drop off on both sides of the road so you can't change your lean angle.

In that case, what difference does it make if you countersteering or use a weight shift method? Since you can't change your lean angle either way, I'd say you've already screwed the pooch and it's time to bend over, kiss your ***, and pay the piper!

I've been in loose gravel before on the Goldwing I used to own. I never actually dropped it but I sure thought I was going to until I got clear of the gravel. The point is, if you don't have enough traction to maintain balance, like on a heavily graveled road, you're probably going to drop it regardless of how you think you're steering the bike. Countersteering is and always has been the primary means of steering a motorcycle.

Steve R.

Quick Reply: counter-stear or lean?