Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jiffy stand question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024, 07:13 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Replace the spring. Probably sprung.

Check all fasteners.
This exactly... 3 years ago one of my buddies had the same and the spring let go mid ride. That was a pucker moment.. Its cheap insurance..

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 07:55 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,988 Likes on 2,862 Posts

Superglue the bumper in place

Old 09-10-2024, 09:42 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 561 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by eighteight
Superglue the bumper in place
Does not work on frame mounted rubber stops, since most bike lifts will end up pushing the bumper upwards, before it start to lift the bike via bottom of frame.
Hence on touring model frames, you have the wide bottom back side brace that you want to place the back of lift support on to raise the bike, and its the lift suport arm of the lift, that will end up pushing the stop out of index on the frame.

Forget everything else in this video since may not apply, but go to 10:38 to see rubber stop rotated back correctly on the frame after bike dropped off the lift, so jiffy stand contacts the rubber stopper correctly in the up postion , and not the frame instead.
note, at 9:57 as the bike is being lowered from lift, can see how the lift support arm ends up contacting the rubber stop to screw up it index when they are lifted.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-10-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2024, 10:08 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,762 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
This exactly... 3 years ago one of my buddies had the same and the spring let go mid ride. That was a pucker moment.. Its cheap insurance..
I carry a spare spring in my tourpak. This is my third ElectraGlide.

Old 09-10-2024, 10:19 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I carry a spare spring in my tourpak. This is my third ElectraGlide.
Me too! I kept a spare on all my bikes after my friends fail in mid ride. Best 8 bucks spent..

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (09-11-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 02:01 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,774 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yep, guessing that rubber bumper was pushed out of index when bike was lifted with lift, and need to have someone hold the bike up, as you put the jiffy stand up and re-index the rubber bumper stop to its needed position, so jiffy stand is against it, and not the frame..

In most cases on the touring frame bikes, the rubber stop is a C type unit that clamps to the frame, so just need to grab and slip it on the frame to slip it back down on frame (that the lift slipped it upwards), to the needed rotation position.
And get into a habit of checking the rubber stop, every time you lower bike down back off the lift, since about anyway you jack the bike up on the bottom of the frame, is going to cause the stop to be rotated upwards.

Or could be this type that mounts on the jiffy stand instead,

As for installing jiffy spring, remove top stop plate and nut of jiffy stand, so you can rotate the jiffy standd past center forward to remove old spring, pull it to clean and re-grease its shaft and bracket part, install it with spring hooks greased as well with jiffy stand forward past center, then rotate back past center to reinstall the top stop plate and nut again.

As for jiffy springs, I have to replace mine every few years, since my driveway does is not ramped, but sharp angled curb section that I manage to drag the spring off if it going straight out, that cause the spring to wear out/to be stretched out fast. As for springs, and due to this, tend to go oem, but get just as short life out of after market springs as well. Just make sure that spring you are getting, is the correct length and type to begin with for the bike..
Touring models never used "a C-type unit that clamps to the frame". It was used mostly on Dynas and some Softails. When offering technical advice, it's best to give accurate advice. You have been called out previously for giving inaccurate information. Then you go silent with no followup.

Old 09-10-2024, 03:22 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

Rubber was on the jiffy stand and ok (2013 eglide, 50000 miles) so I replaced the spring. Problem solved. I wasn't aware that the spring could wear out. My bad. But ...you learn something new every day...if you aren't careful. I'll be picking up a new spring for a spare next time I'm at the dealer. Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-10-2024, 03:34 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskyjock
I wasn't aware that the spring could wear out. My bad. But ...you learn something new every day...if you aren't careful.
Just remember, unless you store the bike on a jack while in the garage, that spring spends most of its life stretched out.

Old 09-10-2024, 07:41 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 114 Posts

2002 Road King FLHRCI

I am having this problem with even a new spring will NOT secure the jiffy stand to the frame.
The stand drags and scrapes the ground when making left turns.
I have replaced the spring a couple of times and it makes no difference it still does not snuggle up to the frame.
The method I use to replace the spring is as documented in the H-D Service manual.
The rubber bumper is in place as it should be.
I can push it up to the frame where it should be but it drops back down right away.
It acts like the spring is slightly long but the last spring I attempted to install came from a sealed package with a Harley logo on it. Part number 50112-99.
I have not stretched the springs nor modified them in any way. ( have several springs from several attempts).
Can't figure out what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Rustyg500; 09-10-2024 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:38 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 561 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Touring models never used "a C-type unit that clamps to the frame". It was used mostly on Dynas and some Softails. When offering technical advice, it's best to give accurate advice. You have been called out previously for giving inaccurate information. Then you go silent with no followup.
C frame mount stops where used on the evo touring bikes, and can take a picture of the the one on my 97RK if you don't believe me.
Part number 30

As for the ones that will mount to the jiffy stand themselves, dead give away will be the hole for one in the jiffy, and why I posted both types.

So here is a jiffy stand that the rubber stop gets mounted to jiffy since has the hole for it,

While if jiffy stand does not have a hole on it for the pull through rubber stop to mount to it, then it will use a frame C rubber mount stop isntead.

Happy now, since Wiskeyjock never stated what year for his touring bikes and try to make me post cover all the different models for anyone that may just do a search, and will find the information useful for all the models in the end?

Last edited by Dano523; 09-10-2024 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: jiffy stand question