Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heart wants the batwing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 10:53 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Brother in law rode a Softail Deluxe for years, rode that thing with my sister in law on the back all over the place. We did Maine from Maryland and they loved it. Did The Tail a couple times. He traded it in on a 12 Road Glide and hasn’t enjoyed a single ride we’ve done. Just not for him. I told him to try an Ultra but he jumped on the RG. He’ll probably sell it beginning of next year.

The following users liked this post:
morooster (08-25-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 10:55 AM
ksol5
Road Captain
Received 346 Likes on 188 Posts

Honestly I like road glides and street glides, when it came time for me to buy a new bike, I test rode a 2022 road glide special and that was it for me. I have ridden a street glide a few times in the past but I really, really, liked the road glide. Even though I think they did a beautiful job on the 24 street glides, I never looked back, I honestly believe that if I got a street glide, I would have either regretted that decision, or traded it for a road glide. I have new 12" KST bars, a corbin seat, luggage rack and passenger backrest suits the wifey just fine on trips. I have almost 12000 miles on my road glide, and I'm loving every minute of it, except this morning coming to work at 42 degrees, deer were everywhere.
Be careful out there everyone!

rauchman (09-10-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 11:02 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by morooster
heard from others that the bat wing can fight you at high speeds. which sucks to hear so i should get the road glide, right? but why do my eyes keep wandering to the bat's wings?

i don't know. when i think of cross country harley baggering, it has to be the batwing.
I have never experienced that. My wife thinks Road Glides are ugly and is absolutely opposed to me owning one. I agree with her so it was an easy decision for me.

The Street Glide is the best selling model. The Road Glide may be second, but if popularity matters to you, go for it.

I ride with a guy who has an RG and loves it, to each his own.

Last edited by downzero; 08-23-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:06 AM
MikeRG3
Cruiser

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2024 SG selling for less

Originally Posted by aharleyrider
When I was trying to make this same decision, I rented one of each for a day and rode as much as I could. I didn't notice a stark contrast in comfort or handling at the time, but it's not like I put the bike through rigorous, edge-case testing. If the bike in your sig is any indication, I imagine you'll be purchasing something newer/newish. It's worth renting a bike with either fairing to see which you prefer. You may even save some bucks if you try it out on rider share, rather than Eagle Rider. Either way, it's far cheaper to spend a few hundred to determine the right bike than it is to buy one and regret it.

I've been riding with a RG fairing for a few years now; I even rode around the country and am looking to do that again. I understand your sentiment - I find myself wanting to try the batwing. It's an iconic and attractive look. That being said, every time I sit on one - it feels cramped; the fairing is right there in your face. The handlebars are noticeably heavier since the fairing is fork-mounted. Whenever I think about having to do anything inside the fairing, or something with the bars, I shudder. It's more of a PITA on the batwings than the RGs.

I think the general breakdown goes:

SG
  1. Better wind protection for hands (unless you install handlebars)
  2. Slightly better wind protection for your upper body
  3. Better rain protection
  4. Cluster is far easier to see without taking your eyes off the road
  5. Radio/NAV screen is much more within reach
  6. Possibly better lighting if you add passing lamps/auxiliary lights
RG
  1. The handlebars are very light, like a Road King - handling is light
  2. Frame-mounted fairing means that wind/passing trucks effect the bike frame, not your handlebars
  3. Feels far more open and less cramped since the fairing is far forward
  4. Far more fairing storage
  5. Slightly better mid/lower body wind protection
  6. Easier to work on in terms of handlebars and inside the fairing
  7. Larger speakers
  8. Better lighting stock

It's interesting how regional fairing preference is, and I wish that I knew why. I'm in TX and the local dealers all say that the RG is far more popular here than the SG. Heck, there are several brand new 2023 SG ST that still haven't sold and have been sitting for at least a year. Right now is the perfect time to go snag deals on recent model years, because everyone wants the new design. I've seen dealers here in TX selling 2023 SGs with low mileage for $15k. That's basically a brand new bike for half the price; they would have been $20k or so before.

The real question, though, is what intake/pipes/tuner/cam are you going to throw into it 😏
Our local HD dealer has several 2024 SG with 117 CI tagged at 23K so maybe a new one?

Ive had 4 Batwings in the past on EG Ultras and the past on a EG Limited over 4 plus decades.

Just recently bought a RG fairing and love it. On high wind days it cuts the wind much better and doesn’t get bogged down.

That’s about the biggest difference, I like both.
Why just own one 😃

Mike

morooster (08-25-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 04:57 PM
lee4
Cruiser
Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

As a rider that planned on ripping off my batwing for a RK nacelle, I can only say sometimes other things matter more. I live in the PNW, and after moving here from the SW desert, I could never have predicted how important hand protection is.

Not only am I keeping the batwing, I don't think I'd bother with another touring fairing. I love old twin lamp RGs style, but i love warm hands in winter and rain even more.

Just my two.

The following 4 users liked this post by lee4:
Goose_NC (08-25-2024), morooster (08-25-2024), Oko (08-24-2024), rauchman (09-10-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 05:22 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,200 Likes on 3,377 Posts

but why do my eyes keep wandering to the bat's wings?

i don't know. when i think of cross country harley baggering, it has to be the batwing.
Then get the bat!

The following 3 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
Goose_NC (08-25-2024), Highway Handler (08-23-2024), morooster (08-25-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 09:49 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 174 Posts

Test ride, then decide. I rented an Ultra Limited that had a batwing and rode it to Sturgis and Back. Then bought a Road Glide.

The following 2 users liked this post by Two Lane Tramp:
aharleyrider (08-24-2024), MikeRG3 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 09:51 PM
Mongo1958
Road Warrior
Received 859 Likes on 540 Posts

heard from others that the bat wing can fight you at high speeds. which sucks to hear so i should get the road glide, right? but why do my eyes keep wandering to the bat's wings?

I've gone as fast as 110 MPH without any issues and lots of twisties.

Ya Tigor (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 12:21 AM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lee4
As a rider that planned on ripping off my batwing for a RK nacelle, I can only say sometimes other things matter more. I live in the PNW, and after moving here from the SW desert, I could never have predicted how important hand protection is.

Not only am I keeping the batwing, I don't think I'd bother with another touring fairing. I love old twin lamp RGs style, but i love warm hands in winter and rain even more.

Just my two.
The solution for that on a RG is hand guards 😏

The following 2 users liked this post by aharleyrider:
morooster (08-25-2024), rauchman (09-10-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:12 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,098 Likes on 3,648 Posts

I put 112000 miles behind my 07 Electra Glide and now on my 2nd Tri Glide. Not saying any bad against the Road Glide as I never owned one but I’ve made all these miles with a Batwing and really have no recollection of bad handling on the highway.

Goose_NC (08-25-2024)

Quick Reply: heart wants the batwing