Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heart wants the batwing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 08:32 AM
EasyGoin
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Rode a batwing for several years (Limited), was sure I wanted a Road Glide just from the looks. Test rode a couple, just didn't "feel" right, test rode a Street Gide, well, now I have a 23 Street glide.
Test ride & go with what you like & what "feels" right.

The following 4 users liked this post by EasyGoin:
Goose_NC (08-23-2024), morooster (08-24-2024), RKZen (08-23-2024), Steelie68 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 08:43 AM
keener3rd
Tourer
Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

I went from a 2016 Slim S to a ‘23 Street Glide Special in Oct. Everything on the RG just seemed too far away from me and everything on the SGS was well within reach. It’s my first bike with a fairing and, although there was a little bit of a learning curve on the highway, it didn’t take long at all. I also like the look of the batwing over the shark nose, so it was an easy decision for me,

Good luck with your decision!

The following users liked this post:
thirdcoastmoto (09-07-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 09:20 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,884 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Ive own(ed) both
* If riding at sane speeds, pick your poison
* Prolonged super slab or high speed, personally, I prefer the shark
* HERES THE BIG DIFF - check the ergos to the dash as the shark is a bit further away

No wrong choice, just personal preference

hattitude (08-24-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 09:27 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I have one of each, A 2013 Ultra Limited and a 2024 Road Glide. I don't know about previous years of the Road Glide, but I find my 2024 a lot more fun to ride than the Ultra.

Old 08-23-2024, 09:35 AM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,136 Likes on 645 Posts

I haven't ridden a shark nose but I'd like to try it. The batwing is certainly a big 'kite' no doubt & you definitely feel it in high winds. You get used to it but you need to pay attention for sure!!

Old 08-23-2024, 09:48 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 915 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by YZR
Age old argument. I have a bat wing and have never had it fighting me, but I've never ridden a shark nose on the freeway either. If you are torn between the two, take a test ride on both.
What he said. I've ridden batwings since forever, and I've never had a problem with buffeting. I've never ridden a Street Glide for a number of reasons, but the main one is the fear that it would remind me of a Goldwing I once owned. Sort of a joke.
My comments do not apply to the newer models as I've their wind management is not great. Also, the are ugly.

Old 08-23-2024, 09:56 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 2,939 Posts

Originally Posted by twoglides13
I have one of each, A 2013 Ultra Limited and a 2024 Road Glide. I don't know about previous years of the Road Glide, but I find my 2024 a lot more fun to ride than the Ultra.
Wonder if that has more to do with less weight, better suspension, and new drivetrain.

between my ‘20 Batwing and ‘22 shark, there was little difference to me in handling

Old 08-23-2024, 10:14 AM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by morooster
heard from others that the bat wing can fight you at high speeds. which sucks to hear so i should get the road glide, right? but why do my eyes keep wandering to the bat's wings?

i don't know. when i think of cross country harley baggering, it has to be the batwing.
When I was trying to make this same decision, I rented one of each for a day and rode as much as I could. I didn't notice a stark contrast in comfort or handling at the time, but it's not like I put the bike through rigorous, edge-case testing. If the bike in your sig is any indication, I imagine you'll be purchasing something newer/newish. It's worth renting a bike with either fairing to see which you prefer. You may even save some bucks if you try it out on rider share, rather than Eagle Rider. Either way, it's far cheaper to spend a few hundred to determine the right bike than it is to buy one and regret it.

I've been riding with a RG fairing for a few years now; I even rode around the country and am looking to do that again. I understand your sentiment - I find myself wanting to try the batwing. It's an iconic and attractive look. That being said, every time I sit on one - it feels cramped; the fairing is right there in your face. The handlebars are noticeably heavier since the fairing is fork-mounted. Whenever I think about having to do anything inside the fairing, or something with the bars, I shudder. It's more of a PITA on the batwings than the RGs.

I think the general breakdown goes:

SG
  1. Better wind protection for hands (unless you install handlebars)
  2. Slightly better wind protection for your upper body
  3. Better rain protection
  4. Cluster is far easier to see without taking your eyes off the road
  5. Radio/NAV screen is much more within reach
  6. Possibly better lighting if you add passing lamps/auxiliary lights
RG
  1. The handlebars are very light, like a Road King - handling is light
  2. Frame-mounted fairing means that wind/passing trucks effect the bike frame, not your handlebars
  3. Feels far more open and less cramped since the fairing is far forward
  4. Far more fairing storage
  5. Slightly better mid/lower body wind protection
  6. Easier to work on in terms of handlebars and inside the fairing
  7. Larger speakers
  8. Better lighting stock

It's interesting how regional fairing preference is, and I wish that I knew why. I'm in TX and the local dealers all say that the RG is far more popular here than the SG. Heck, there are several brand new 2023 SG ST that still haven't sold and have been sitting for at least a year. Right now is the perfect time to go snag deals on recent model years, because everyone wants the new design. I've seen dealers here in TX selling 2023 SGs with low mileage for $15k. That's basically a brand new bike for half the price; they would have been $20k or so before.

The real question, though, is what intake/pipes/tuner/cam are you going to throw into it 😏

Last edited by aharleyrider; 08-23-2024 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aharleyrider:
morooster (08-24-2024), rauchman (09-10-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 10:28 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,294 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by morooster
heard from others that the bat wing can fight you at high speeds. which sucks to hear so i should get the road glide, right? but why do my eyes keep wandering to the bat's wings?

i don't know. when i think of cross country harley baggering, it has to be the batwing.
The SG is flawless unless you have little tiny girlie arms, RG are too common. Going to depreciate faster as the used market will flood

morooster (08-24-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 10:50 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
What he said. I've ridden batwings since forever, and I've never had a problem with buffeting. I've never ridden a Street Glide for a number of reasons, but the main one is the fear that it would remind me of a Goldwing I once owned. Sort of a joke.
My comments do not apply to the newer models as I've their wind management is not great. Also, the are ugly.
gonna assume you meant Road and not Street

Quick Reply: heart wants the batwing