Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 01:39 PM
Pappy35
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Mine did not engage on flat the one time I tried it on a flat intersection.
Something else was wrong, or you have the ONE bike in the world that's different. My Road King and now my Street Glide both work no matter what the incline is (or lack thereof).

Old 08-29-2024, 01:44 PM
Pappy35
Tourer

Originally Posted by mynewhd
My friend with a 2021 SG had trouble with hill hold as well. He was pulling on the brake lever after engaging it, which disengaged the hill hold. Pull the front brake lever and push down on the rear brake pedal firmly and hold it for a few seconds. <snip>
It's either/or front or rear, not both. Activation is instantaneous, not time-delayed. I believe there is a maximum active time of five minutes, but I'm not sure of that. I vaguely recall reading that in the Interwebs somewhere (so it much be true, right?).

Old 08-29-2024, 01:49 PM
Pappy35
Tourer

Originally Posted by gonemad
Something is amiss with that one then. It’s just like an emergency brake that is easy to engage/disengage. While it is a feature within RDRS which has lots of lean angle sensors and such, none of them should impact hill hold assist.

If I’m at a stop and want a free hand to scratch my butt, pick my nose, whatever, I don’t wait to see if the beast is going to roll. I just engage the hill hold brake and get busy...

Old 08-29-2024, 04:32 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 705 Posts

Edit... re-read

Old 08-29-2024, 06:09 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dseago1969
Wait till you guys hear about sitting uphill and having to feather the clutch, throttle and front brake all at the same time. Wow crazy days.
Or you can just hold your rear brake and start off like you normally would, right? Unless I’m missing something.
I never use hill hold. Tried it a few times but like someone else said, I don’t like the way it releases.

Old 08-30-2024, 10:31 AM
Pappy35
Tourer

The issues with release are due to where the clutch lever enters the friction zone. Hill Hold uses the switch embedded in the left side control module to release and is (or should be) set with the cable tension properly adjusted (about 1/8" play between the lever mount and the metal ferrule at the end of the clutch cable). If you've adjusted the lever so that friction zone engagement is closer to the grip, or have never touched it and it now closer due to clutch wear or cable stretch, the switch won't trip until after your clutch starts catching, resulting in that hesitation (brake still on when pulling out).

The new bikes have two easily accessible microswitches instead on one buried in the mount making it possible to fine-tune the trip points for you preferred engagement point. The only way to adjust the pre-'23.5/'24 bikes is to file or shim the clutch lever where it contacts the switch (which is a PITA). I like my zone to be close to the grip and I had to mess around with this a bunch on my '22 Road King. I finally got it set and it worked perfectly from then on. On my '24, I bought a Softbrake Reduced Reach clutch lever so I can have the zone where I like it without having to deviate from the OEM cable play adjustment procedure.

Old 08-31-2024, 09:19 AM
dbarbee
Club Member

Received 258 Likes on 146 Posts

I’ve also found that how smoothly the brakes release might be improved by a small adjustment to technique.

If the clutch lever isn’t pulled in far enough to contact the clutch switch the brakes won’t release until the RPM is about 1,200. This causes a very uncomfortable and sudden brake release, lugs the engine, and causes the rear end to dip a little before the brakes disengage. I discovered this after I put grip sleeves on my Ultra-Limited that prevented the clutch lever from coming in far enough to close the clutch switch. (I resolved it by using thinner grip sleeves meant for 7/8” bars)

If hill hold is activated, and the logic sees the clutch switch closed (lever pulled all the way in), as soon the clutch lever starts to come out, and the switch contacts open, it “arms” the logic to release the brakes at around 1,100 RPM. This allows for an almost unnoticeable brake release. (For me anyway)

Ensuring the the clutch lever is pulled all the way in, at least momentarily ~after~ hill hold is engaged, and then giving just a little extra throttle as the clutch starts to engage, might make the brake release a little smoother.

Old 09-03-2024, 09:59 AM
Dafireman12
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
I installed this on the RGL and flashed it with the OBDSTAR, works great, hands free in neutral.
Which model OBDSTAR do you use? What year is your RGL? Does that model also allow for activating heated grips, garage door opener?

Old 09-03-2024, 10:19 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarbee
There was an extensive thread on this a while back.

I installed the upgrade kit on my '23 Ultra-Limited and couldn't be happier. The feature is VERY useful when sitting at a long light, waiting on a train, wife getting on/off, etc. As previously mentioned, once it's installed the side-stand switch has to be enabled in the ECM to enable hill hold in neutral. It was initially reported when the kit first came out that additional "software" had to be downloaded to the bike but it's just a check box in the existing software that has to be enabled. Enabling the switch will also prevent the bike from being started in gear with the side-stand down and will kill the engine if you put the side stand down while it's in gear. (Most metric bikes have been like this for years)

The switch is pretty easy to install and attaches with a single bolt that's included in the kit. If the bike has never had a side-stand switch there will be a plastic plug in the bolt hole. The harness runs along the frame to an empty connector under the frame at the front under the oil cooler. The plastic shroud on the bottom-front of the frame will have to be removed to access the connector.
I like being able to start with side stand down, and doesn't bother me starting in gear.

Old 09-03-2024, 11:59 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dafireman12
Which model OBDSTAR do you use? What year is your RGL? Does that model also allow for activating heated grips, garage door opener?
It is the one called ISCANHARLEY, as far as heated grips and door opener I am not sure about that. I bought it mainly to flush the ABS and found it can activate the side stand switch.
It does seem to have a lot of features.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 09-03-2024 at 12:01 PM.