Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 05:59 PM
OrangeBlossomJune
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Get the CVO, comes with a 25th annivsary ball scratcher.
HAHAHAHAHHA... now you know that factory options fail!!! hahahahahahah

Old 08-21-2024, 06:10 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 2,939 Posts

I’ve had three bikes with hill hold. Never even tried it on the 2020, started using it on the ‘22, and the ‘24 police bike has hill hold in neutral.

I like that feature and use it once or twice a ride. Would I go to lengths to add the neutral feature if it didn’t come with it. Maybe.

The following users liked this post:
OrangeBlossomJune (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:26 PM
OrangeBlossomJune
Novice

Originally Posted by gonemad
I’ve had three bikes with hill hold. Never even tried it on the 2020, started using it on the ‘22, and the ‘24 police bike has hill hold in neutral.

I like that feature and use it once or twice a ride. Would I go to lengths to add the neutral feature if it didn’t come with it. Maybe.
I live in the foot hills in SC. Many many times I wish I had it for neutral. I will be getting it installed

Old 08-21-2024, 06:32 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomJune
I live in the foot hills in SC. Many many times I wish I had it for neutral. I will be getting it installed
I use to live there when my ‘85 was new. You’ll enjoy the feature.

Old 08-21-2024, 08:27 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Get the CVO, comes with a 25th annivsary ball scratcher.
To be serious though, I find I use the hands free feature quite often when say waiting for a light while sitting on a grade.

Old 08-21-2024, 10:25 PM
OrangeBlossomJune
Novice

Originally Posted by gonemad

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
To be serious though, I find I use the hands free feature quite often when say waiting for a light while sitting on a grade.
👆 This is why all bikes should have it

Old 08-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 664 Likes on 408 Posts

I almost NEVER put my UL in neutral unless I'm dismounting while the engine is running. As others have said, there's no reason to unless you can't hold the clutch lever. My clutch happens to be of the Hydraulic type and I find it easy to pull and stay pulled while either holding the front or rear brake at the same time.

I can't imagine being on such a steep incline that holding the clutch and one of the brakes would be just fine.

My car has a "hill hold feature" and I've only used it once when I first bought the car to see what its all about....and never since. It's definitely NOT a feature I would pay extra for (IMHO).

Old 08-22-2024, 10:15 AM
OrangeBlossomJune
Novice

Originally Posted by Rob175
I almost NEVER put my UL in neutral unless I'm dismounting while the engine is running. As others have said, there's no reason to unless you can't hold the clutch lever. My clutch happens to be of the Hydraulic type and I find it easy to pull and stay pulled while either holding the front or rear brake at the same time.

I can't imagine being on such a steep incline that holding the clutch and one of the brakes would be just fine.

My car has a "hill hold feature" and I've only used it once when I first bought the car to see what its all about....and never since. It's definitely NOT a feature I would pay extra for (IMHO).
Bad idea to always hold the clutch all the time every time. You have the potential to wear it out sooner than normal. No different than keeping your foot on the clutch in a car wears out the pilot bearing. Keeps unneeded pressure on it constantly

Old 08-22-2024, 06:36 PM
gonefortheborder
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I had it done and am glad I did. I use it at least once on just about every ride, fiddling around with gloves on a sloped parking space, stopped at my mailbox, etc. It was worth the less than $100 for the part, installation and flash.

OrangeBlossomJune (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 07:37 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Here’s why I like neutral hill hold. At a stop, I might need to blow my nose, or forgot to take my readers out of my shirt pocket and put them away, or decided it’s getting hot and I want to change gloves, or take off/put on a jacket.

Us old guys do all this crap routinely.

The following 3 users liked this post by gonemad:
gonefortheborder (08-25-2024), MRFREEZE57 (08-22-2024), OrangeBlossomJune (08-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Hill start