Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 11:20 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
hands free in neutral.
I find this capability to be odd, not sure why everyone is so obsessed by it. If you are not on a hill, you dont need to hold the bike, and can be in neutral without the modification.

If you are on a hill, you need to have the brake enabled anyway. What am I missing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The following users liked this post:
OrangeBlossomJune (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:43 PM
Dseago1969
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 214 Posts

@Keithhu adding this allows the hold control to be activated when in neutral so you can let go of the clutch and brakes. So on a hill put it in neutral let off breaks and the bike doesn’t roll.

For me, if I’m on the bike it is probably in gear, even at long lights. You never know when you might need to make a quick exit from a dangerous situations. I’m kind of surprised at how many people want to shift to neutral.

J Cagg (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dseago1969
@Keithhu adding this allows the hold control to be activated when in neutral so you can let go of the clutch and brakes. So on a hill put it in neutral let off breaks and the bike doesn’t roll.

For me, if I’m on the bike it is probably in gear, even at long lights. You never know when you might need to make a quick exit from a dangerous situations. I’m kind of surprised at how many people want to shift to neutral.
Right, wasnt thinking about it the right way. Well, even still, Ima chalk that up to first world problems, way way down on the priority list for me.

Old 08-21-2024, 02:23 PM
Pappy35
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I find this capability to be odd, not sure why everyone is so obsessed by it. If you are not on a hill, you dont need to hold the bike, and can be in neutral without the modification.<snip>
Originally Posted by Dseago1969
<snip>For me, if I’m on the bike it is probably in gear, even at long lights. You never know when you might need to make a quick exit from a dangerous situations. I’m kind of surprised at how many people want to shift to neutral.
I use the feature when I need to pull over to check something (update a waypoint, response to an urgent message or situation, scratch my azz, whatever). I agree that this is a 1st-class, first-world problem. But, this is the First-World and being able to plant both feet AND use both hands without worrying about the bike rolling off the road comes in handy those few times I've actually needed it.

Besides, as far as HD add-ons are concerned, $70 for the part and $30 to activate it is peanuts. How many hundreds of dollars do many of you spend for "WillyG" axel nut covers, "Adversary" derby covers, "Airflow" shift levers or some other useless motorcycle jewelry? Ok, I'm not judging because the stuff does look cool. (I'm buying a set of "Adversary" heated grips soon), but you get my point.

Last edited by Pappy35; 08-21-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:50 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I find this capability to be odd, not sure why everyone is so obsessed by it. If you are not on a hill, you dont need to hold the bike, and can be in neutral without the modification.

If you are on a hill, you need to have the brake enabled anyway. What am I missing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is nice to be able to stretch your arms, scratch your ***** etc.

TXNT (09-01-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 03:57 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Well ****, I'm all over that now!

Old 08-21-2024, 04:54 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,293 Likes on 587 Posts

Get the CVO, comes with a 25th annivsary ball scratcher.

The following 2 users liked this post by Taxgod4u:
gonefortheborder (08-22-2024), OrangeBlossomJune (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 05:54 PM
OrangeBlossomJune
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pappy35
I paid my dealer $30 for this (I installed the switch myself). Your money, but buying on of those, or similar, tool doesn't seem worth it to me.
Yeah, I'm on the fence about it. I know that right now that's all I was looking to have done was the VHC. I wasn't sure what the dealer would charge to program it. I know that in the future I may need it for troubleshooting or tweaking as needed. But yeah... it's a pricy tool

Old 08-21-2024, 05:58 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I installed the plug on my 22 Ultra, had the dealer do a $26 update, and done.

I got my 22 with RDRS, because there was no other choice. Never thought I would use the hill hold, but it’s a nice feature. The rain traction control is nice in the rain, but also on crush and run parking lots.

Added the neutral hill hold, great for passenger mount/dismount, also good when pulling over to find an address, put on gloves, whatever. Does it take riding to a new level, no. Is it a useful gadget, yes.

Old 08-21-2024, 05:58 PM
OrangeBlossomJune
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The VHC only works if the bike is in gear. This mod allows the feature to work in neutral. Give a squeeze to the brake and magik... the bike won't move until you're in gear and trying to move

Quick Reply: Hill start