Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades Customer Service and New Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 10:03 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 477 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Memphis Shades Customer Service and New Bikes?

I know, that is a confusing topic.
I have had my 2022 Road King Special for about eight months now and have put about 1700 miles on it. (I bought it used with about 200 miles on it). I like the touring platform and I still have my Dyna for bar runs, but that's all the Dyna is good for. I work very long hours and one of the only things I do to relax is ride my bikes. I bought the Road King to be able to leave in the morning with all the stuff I need for the day and return in the evening and not be worn out. The first thing I noticed about the bike was the lack of power compared to my Dyna. I installed a 128CI kit with cam, exhaust, throttle body etc that now makes 135hp and 145ftlbs of torque. The bike now hauls *** and is fun to ride. What I am now finding out is, that the small windshield I have does not cut it on long runs at 75mph plus. I wear a Shoei GT air2 with ear plugs as well.
So, on to fairings and Memphis Shades. I don't need a radio and I like the look of the Bat Wing on the Road King Specials. I got everything in my cart to make the order except the windshields, there is a lot of choices. I called Memphis Shades and asked if I purchased several of them and did not remove the plastic covers, could I return the ones I did not like. To my surprise they told me me I could only return one. (**** That!) I am not going to buy $700 dollars worth of windshields to pick one that works, I know I am an *******!
So now what, sell the Road King and spend twice the money for a new bike or just put up with what I have?
I have looked at a new Road Glide CVO ST and really like the bike, but it is a bunch of money and still won't run as good as my Road King. With that being said, it is still not out of the question.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Kelly (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 10:40 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,517 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Some of the dealers around me had different shields in stock to test out. They have them from different manufacturers, definitely not all models but it could help. Or if on FB maybe see if anyone has a setup like yours with the shade your considering.

Old 08-13-2024, 10:56 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

The combination of a quick-release Windshield and Fork Deflectors (Fangs) has worked well for me on several bikes including my 2018 Road King.
I know that "looks" are subjective, but this combination gives me good protection, and a quiet, buffeting-free ride (I wear a Half Helmet and do not need Ear Plugs).
I like chrome, but Black Fork Deflectors would suit a Blacked-Out Road King Special...they make a significant difference in reducing or eliminating buffeting.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ar/p/57995-96A

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...rs/p/57400146A

Batwing Fairings may look good, but finding the right windshield size and style can be an expensive challenge. And for some, that challenge is ongoing!

Old 08-13-2024, 10:59 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,162 Posts

If you like a regular RK windshield, I know Clearview Shields lets you return if you keep the cover on. I'm not sure, though, if you buy different sizes to return what you don't want. You'll have to call them. It's a good thick windshield with the recurve on the top to help push the air higher.

If you want a "plain-Jane" detachable batwing, there are makers which you can use any third-party windshield. I have a Dead Center Cycles batwing on my '13 King. It's a "plain-Jane" and you can add whatever H-D batwing accessory. It's the original style batwing. It's a bit more pricey as it has an inner and outer fairing. I use mine for the cooler weather and for more wind protection on the long trips. The Memphis Shades is a one-piece molded plastic, think a batwing shaped windshield.

For a newer style batwing with a functioning air vent, you have this by Wide Open.

You can get a fairing Harley, but I like the versatility of the detachables, but you have some options for your King. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2024, 01:38 PM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team

Thank you guys for the above links. A couple of those look promising.

Old 08-13-2024, 04:11 PM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I've always found it odd that someone would buy a Road King but then put a fairing on it. I understand that you can theoretically detach it, but in my experience that becomes more hassle than it's worth and the fairing either stays on or off permanently.

A windshield, however, is a cinch to quickly detach or mount. I went through a number of windshields on my 2015 FLSTFB; they all produced some kind of buffeting. I tried 2-3 different Memphis Shades and some ebay chinesium. I finally relented and bought a used https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...eld/p/57400159 off of ebay. It was phenomenal! No buffeting, a nice vent, and easy to mount/detach.

I highly recommend the wind splitter.

Old 08-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,899 Likes on 821 Posts

The Memphis shades Batwing is just a Batwing shaped windshield is correct I have one on a Dyna.
i would think you could narrow it down to two, if you like short ones the 5&7 inch for example. You could also have a buddy order a third if needed.

Old 08-13-2024, 04:51 PM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by aharleyrider
I've always found it odd that someone would buy a Road King but then put a fairing on it. I understand that you can theoretically detach it, but in my experience that becomes more hassle than it's worth and the fairing either stays on or off permanently.

A windshield, however, is a cinch to quickly detach or mount. I went through a number of windshields on my 2015 FLSTFB; they all produced some kind of buffeting. I tried 2-3 different Memphis Shades and some ebay chinesium. I finally relented and bought a used https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...eld/p/57400159 off of ebay. It was phenomenal! No buffeting, a nice vent, and easy to mount/detach.

I highly recommend the wind splitter.
I get the theory for sure. Coming from a Dyna the Road King was an experiment for me. I was comfortable on the Dyna without the windshield, but I just cruised along at 65 to 70. My Dyna does not have much suspension travel, so that was a good speed. I love the Road King, but as I have started venturing out more, the speeds on the highway increase to 75 or 80 here in Texas. That wind is a bit stronger. I just turned 59 with a bad case of Tinnitus from loud music, cars and work all my life, that does not help. If I was to make the choice again, it would be a different bike.
I bought a Wind Spitter last week, but when I got it home the damn vent does not fit between my KST Kustoms bars, so I had to return it.

The following users liked this post:
aharleyrider (08-15-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 04:53 PM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
The Memphis shades Batwing is just a Batwing shaped windshield is correct I have one on a Dyna.
i would think you could narrow it down to two, if you like short ones the 5&7 inch for example. You could also have a buddy order a third if needed.
Thanks!
That is not a bad idea, I can order two shipped to work and have my girlfriend order two shipped to the house!

Old 08-13-2024, 05:07 PM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
I get the theory for sure. Coming from a Dyna the Road King was an experiment for me. I was comfortable on the Dyna without the windshield, but I just cruised along at 65 to 70. My Dyna does not have much suspension travel, so that was a good speed. I love the Road King, but as I have started venturing out more, the speeds on the highway increase to 75 or 80 here in Texas. That wind is a bit stronger. I just turned 59 with a bad case of Tinnitus from loud music, cars and work all my life, that does not help. If I was to make the choice again, it would be a different bike.
I bought a Wind Spitter last week, but when I got it home the damn vent does not fit between my KST Kustoms bars, so I had to return it.
That makes sense. For this reason, before I bought a touring bike, I rented a SG and a RG for a day a piece and put down as many miles as I could. Hindsight, though.

You might also try looking around for some crashed SGs and snagging that fairing, if you want a batwing. Nothing wrong with the aftermarkets, necessarily, but you could technically build your own SG since it's the same chassis. It'd be a bit more work, and not removable, but you would have a hell of a machine and a story to match.

Quick Reply: Memphis Shades Customer Service and New Bikes?