Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades Customer Service and New Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 05:10 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by aharleyrider
I've always found it odd that someone would buy a Road King but then put a fairing on it. I understand that you can theoretically detach it, but in my experience that becomes more hassle than it's worth and the fairing either stays on or off permanently.

A windshield, however, is a cinch to quickly detach or mount.
I totally get what you're saying. And some "detached" batwings are a PITA to get on and off. Some are just as easy to get on and off as the windshield. The Dead Center Cycles batwing I have is just as easy to get on and off...like this

But then again, many like the RK for its versatility. Load it up like a touring dresser or strip it down and ride it like a cruiser, kind of like having several bikes in one. Not saying the SG/RG are not any good, they're great bikes. And when I was choosing, it was between the SG and RK.

Last edited by RKZen; 08-13-2024 at 05:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aharleyrider (08-15-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 05:42 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Here's the older non vented look MS fairing I had painted Birch White. I have no need for a radio, apple car play, 10,000 watt amp or any of the modern foo foo. That's the full size 12" MS shield on it. I still look over it.

Old 08-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 445 Likes on 320 Posts

Instead of buying a bunch of windshields, get a helper and a tape measure or a yardstick. Sit on the bike like how you ride, and helper in front of you with the tape or yardstick and measure from the windshield mounting point to the point of your nose. That measurement is the windshield Hight that should work for you.

Old 08-14-2024, 10:16 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 493 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
Instead of buying a bunch of windshields, get a helper and a tape measure or a yardstick. Sit on the bike like how you ride, and helper in front of you with the tape or yardstick and measure from the windshield mounting point to the point of your nose. That measurement is the windshield Hight that should work for you.
Thanks for all the help from all of you guys!
Will that measurement put the wind above me and eliminate the buffering of my helmet?

Old 08-15-2024, 05:00 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 445 Likes on 320 Posts

With a recurve like the Memphis Shades, yes it will, and you will be looking over the windshield instead of through it like you are supposed to.

Old 08-15-2024, 05:39 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
With a recurve like the Memphis Shades, yes it will, and you will be looking over the windshield instead of through it like you are supposed to.
Thank you, I ordered the Memphis shades fairing from Dennis Kirk yesterday. I will have to purchase the windshield directly from Memphis shades. At least I can try it on and get a good measurement. If I don't like it for some reason, I can return the fairing easily to Dennis Kirk.
I also talked to my buddy that is a Harley Master Tech. He said if I wanted we could convert the front end to a Street Glide pretty easily.

Old 08-15-2024, 06:28 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
Thank you, I ordered the Memphis shades fairing from Dennis Kirk yesterday. I will have to purchase the windshield directly from Memphis shades. At least I can try it on and get a good measurement. If I don't like it for some reason, I can return the fairing easily to Dennis Kirk.
I also talked to my buddy that is a Harley Master Tech. He said if I wanted we could convert the front end to a Street Glide pretty easily.
My Road King is an older model and I'm using the Memphis Shades batwing with a recurve along with fork fangs for wind deflection. Works pretty good.

The following users liked this post:
RKZen (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 07:56 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by 09fitz
My Road King is an older model and I'm using the Memphis Shades batwing with a recurve along with fork fangs for wind deflection. Works pretty good.

That looks good, I am 5'11. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and how tall is the windshield?

Old 08-15-2024, 10:20 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm short at 5 ' 7. I think the windshield is a 7".

Old 08-15-2024, 10:34 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by 09fitz
I'm short at 5 ' 7. I think the windshield is a 7".
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Memphis Shades Customer Service and New Bikes?