Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modern Touring vs 90s Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 08:53 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 561 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by aharleyrider

My primary concerns are:
1. 5 speed vs 6 speed - the difference in comfort/RPMs, the difference in fuel efficiency
2. 5 gallon tank vs 6 gallon tank - nobody wants to get stuck in the middle of nowhere WY
3. Carb efficiency when I'm passing through 12,000+ ft mountain ranges in the Rockies

1, most of the trans did not come with 6h gear as over drive, so just picked up an extra gear in between the 6. On evo, first gear is way too high for 99% of what you going to need, so easy to just change out from sproket to drop RPM as higher speeds. Also, HD speedos tend to read higher than actual, so can get module to correct speedo to real correct mileage with the front pulley swap.

2, Its a Harley, so extra gallon on fuel that will give you around 30 miles more in range, really does not apply, since need to stop every few hours to give your body a rest from the vibration. Hence to be able to stay in the saddle that long, then your looking for something that will vibrate less, like a goldwing.
3, CVO carbs will compensate for the difference in altitude.

As for the one not touched/you have not figured out yet, HD did not get the rear tire in the same track line as the front tire until the 2006 bikes.
Next frame change on the 2009 models, and spring loaded to hydro cam hydraulic changes in 2006.

So to break it down, if evo, looking at 1998 for last year of that motor in the touring bikes, and if looking at twin cam, then want the 2009 model of newer.
Also going to be blunt, but if looking for older twin cam, make sure it did not come with ABS, since a problem child from the start, and many of the units that HD no longer carriers when they do go south from owner not power flushing the brake fluid frequently enough (at least every 2 years or shorter depending on where the bike is ridden). Hence with luck if you do end up with abs unit going out, can remove it and change the brake lines, and pray that HD has a way to delete its firmware from the system so you don't end up with standing codes from it not being in play.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-12-2024 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aharleyrider (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 09:35 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
1, most of the trans did not come with 6h gear as over drive, so just picked up an extra gear in between the 6. On evo, first gear is way too high for 99% of what you going to need, so easy to just change out from sproket to drop RPM as higher speeds. Also, HD speedos tend to read higher than actual, so can get module to correct speedo to real correct mileage with the front pulley swap.

2, Its a Harley, so extra gallon on fuel that will give you around 30 miles more in range, really does not apply, since need to stop every few hours to give your body a rest from the vibration. Hence to be able to stay in the saddle that long, then your looking for something that will vibrate less, like a goldwing.
3, CVO carbs will compensate for the difference in altitude.

As for the one not touched/you have not figured out yet, HD did not get the rear tire in the same track line as the front tire until the 2006 bikes.
Next frame change on the 2009 models, and spring loaded to hydro cam hydraulic changes in 2006.

So to break it down, if evo, looking at 1998 for last year of that motor in the touring bikes, and if looking at twin cam, then want the 2009 model of newer.
Also going to be blunt, but if looking for older twin cam, make sure it did not come with ABS, since a problem child from the start, and many of the units that HD no longer carriers when they do go south from owner not power flushing the brake fluid frequently enough (at least every 2 years or shorter depending on where the bike is ridden). Hence with luck if you do end up with abs unit going out, can remove it and change the brake lines, and pray that HD has a way to delete its firmware from the system so you don't end up with standing codes from it not being in play.
I’d just buy a 2009+ and check the ABS real good on a test ride and after I buy it run it to Harley to have the brake fluid flushed right away and call it a day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Germansheperd:
aharleyrider (08-12-2024), Y2K (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:02 AM
aharleyrider
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
This is interesting and the first time I'm hearing about this. You're saying they're running in two separate but parallel tracks? Can you please elaborate a bit more on how that affects the bike/ride? I don't think I'd do something like a Baker DD6 swap because of the cost, but changing the rear sprocket is a job I've done to previous bikes and would seriously consider. Given that TX highways are typically 80mph, and my travel is typically very time-constrained, being able to spent 8-10 hours a day at 80 mph is a necessity.

Again, I appreciate everyone's insightful responses. I'd searched all across the Internet for similar threads/discussions but did not find any. There are some 10+ year old threads on TC vs Evo, but nothing on M8 vs Evo. I figured there may be other people that eventually have this question, and this thread can help them make a decision as well. A lot of threads end up being less objective and more pro-whatever-generation is being discussed, without comparison.

To add some additional insight: I've had M8 issues in the past and been stranded, hundreds of miles from any mechanics or dealers, so the idea of a simpler and more reliable Evo is intriguing. Of course, any bike can have a serious problem beyond what you can fix on the roadside, but not having to worry about an air sensor or a CPS, TPS, etc failing would be nice.

Originally Posted by 702
Mistake for you to switch? Only for you to decide, but I would rather drill a hole in my head than make that move.
This seems to be common sentiment here, and it makes sense. I have no illusions of an Evo being more comfortable, but I also have no frame of reference of how stark of a contrast it is. I should go test ride this bike.

After having three bikes in the garage a year ago, I told myself I'd go back down to one. Less maintenance, lower insurance. I've finally managed to sell both, yet here I am eyeing another.

Old 08-12-2024, 07:27 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,823 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
I’d just buy a 2009+ and check the ABS real good on a test ride and after I buy it run it to Harley to have the brake fluid flushed right away and call it a day.
"Its a Harley, so extra gallon on fuel that will give you around 30 miles more in range" ... I've been in a few places where an extra 30 miles kept me from walking ";>)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
aharleyrider (08-12-2024), Architect (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 08:30 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"Its a Harley, so extra gallon on fuel that will give you around 30 miles more in range" ... I've been in a few places where an extra 30 miles kept me from walking ";>
That's one of the things I like about my M8 107 Electra,with EFI 6 gallons and a 6 speed I can easily do 250 miles on a tank.
Two up and loaded for a trip at 70 mph I'm getting about 48 mpg.

The following 3 users liked this post by Y2K:
aharleyrider (08-12-2024), Soundman5000 (08-13-2024), Uncle Larry (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 08:51 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

"Its a Harley, so extra gallon on fuel that will give you around 30 miles more in range" ... I've been in a few places where an extra 30 miles kept me from walking ";>
I agree its nuts not to at this point to buy a 2009-2013 bike as they are so cheap now vs the 2007 on back bikes and they are way better.

Old 08-12-2024, 10:04 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I went to Alaska with 5 gallon tank. Rode out west 5 speed. I like tq of 5 speed.

Rode carb to top Beartooth.

Id lose my mind on how slow a stock one was.

Keep in mind time takes a toll. You can change oil every week and it will still be 30 years old.

So depends on what you want.

aharleyrider (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:06 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

​​​​​​Comes down to making good choices.

But japs were doing 6 gallon decades before Harley.

Don't get me wrong, bigger the better

Old 08-13-2024, 05:13 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,202 Likes on 3,743 Posts

A 30 year old mid 90's touring is a way better ride for touring long distances than a 2023. /S

Last edited by roussfam; 08-13-2024 at 05:15 AM.
hd4evr2008 (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 06:07 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roussfam
A 30 year old mid 90's touring is a way better ride for touring long distances than a 2023. /S
Why do you believe that?
I'll take cruise control. Not sure when it came out.

I'll take tunes or radio.

Better tire mileage I believe on newer wider tires.

I'll take the power, of newer bikes too

Y2K (08-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Modern Touring vs 90s Touring