Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us how you finally solved the engine quit while riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 12:57 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Haven't read the whole thread. At this point I am suspicious of the ignition switch, that is about the only thing involved with both the speedo and the ignition AND turning it off and then back on again "renews" the contacts. Most of them can be taken apart and cleaned.

Old 08-16-2024, 02:04 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,291 Likes on 586 Posts

I stopped my bike from quiting while riding by not bumping the kill switch when adjusting the right side mirror. Only took three occurences.

The following users liked this post:
JimRunningLizard (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 02:15 PM
kemdds
Novice
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
I stopped my bike from quiting while riding by not bumping the kill switch when adjusting the right side mirror. Only took three occurences.
I thought that was what I was doing the first 2 times it happened. The third time I made certain to check kill switch was in run position which it was.. I felt a little better that I didn't do it, but remained puzzled why it was happening. I have jiggled ignition switch and kill switch while bike was running and have not been able to duplicate the bike shutting down. Thus far bike has run fine with cleaning corroded relay and replacement of VSS. Interesting review from all places Amazon about VSS replacement.

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-19-2024, 02:22 PM
kemdds
Novice

Originally Posted by kemdds
I thought that was what I was doing the first 2 times it happened. The third time I made certain to check kill switch was in run position which it was.. I felt a little better that I didn't do it, but remained puzzled why it was happening. I have jiggled ignition switch and kill switch while bike was running and have not been able to duplicate the bike shutting down. Thus far bike has run fine with cleaning corroded relay and replacement of VSS. Interesting review from all places Amazon about VSS replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B08ZXRK1V5
Not certain but link may say it is suspicious. This is what it said anyway below.

"Way cheaper than buying from HD dealership! Quick change over and fixed everyone of our issues! ie.. cruise not working, speedometer not working, check engine light on, not idling and dying out without throttling at stop lights. Turn signals not turning off automatically after turning. Every issue gone!"

Old 08-20-2024, 07:52 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,069 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B08ZXRK1V5
At $25, I'd certainly consider rolling the dice on it. If nothing else, as a temporary diagnostic tool.

Old 08-22-2024, 07:56 AM
kemdds
Novice

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
At $25, I'd certainly consider rolling the dice on it. If nothing else, as a temporary diagnostic tool.
To update anyone still following this thread. I am going to call my final fix a combination of cleaning up corroded relay and VSS replacement. (I wish I could say for certain which one) The bike has performed flawlessly for the past 3 hours of riding. No speedo going out, no engine quitting when stopping has occurred. This compared to 3 previous rides before repairs when speedo and engine quit. leads me to believe it is finally fixed.
Judging by previous comments on this thread and others, corrosion or poor electrical contacts seems to come in first. I have listed others in no particular order.
faulty ignition switch
faulty kill switch
faulty IAC
faulty VSS
faulty TSM/BAS
accidental hitting kill switch to off
fuel problems

Please feel free to add others to the list, there are probably more. Thanks to everyone. Hopefully this may help someone down the road. If my bike acts up again I will start a new thread once this one goes dead..

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 08:29 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,175 Likes on 4,387 Posts

To update anyone still following this thread. I am going to call my final fix a combination of cleaning up corroded relay and VSS replacement. (I wish I could say for certain which one) The bike has performed flawlessly for the past 3 hours of riding. No speedo going out, no engine quitting when stopping has occurred. This compared to 3 previous rides before repairs when speedo and engine quit. leads me to believe it is finally fixed.

Glad to hear you are up and running...

And you fixed it yourself.

Enjoy.....