Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us how you finally solved the engine quit while riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 06:03 PM
kemdds
Novice
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

For those with IAC problems, did your speedometer quit? First thing I noticed was no speedo or odometer and then bike shut down when I pulled in clutch to pull over. I am leaning toward an electrical problem...

Old 08-04-2024, 06:10 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by kemdds
For those with IAC problems, did your speedometer quit? First thing I noticed was no speedo or odometer and then bike shut down when I pulled in clutch to pull over. I am leaning toward an electrical problem...
I never had any other visible problems. I would just pull the clutch in coming to a stop sign or a light and the bike would stall. Press Start and it started right up. Sometimes it happened once a day sometimes it happened multiple times a day. It was very erratic but I changed the IAC and then reset it. It's been years now and I never had the problem again... still have my 06.

Old 08-05-2024, 05:34 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,069 Posts

...I found the awfully corroded relay and cleaned that up.
Did you remove the cap on the relay and inspect it internally? Many times the corrosion goes past the plastic base and into the relay components.
Similarly did you inspect the socket and wires that were plugged into that corroded relay? Many times those are just as corroded.

Old 08-05-2024, 12:16 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You said "dielectric grease will help you make the best contact".

It is not a conductor; it will do no such thing.

A lot of people do not know that, and that is why I made the comment.

Old 08-06-2024, 02:39 PM
kemdds
Novice

I just got the new relay to replace the corroded one. I will report back on my progress. Sadly being an intermittent problem it could take a while to see if the bike is truly fixed. So far I have checked connections, cleaned a corroded relay, and replaced speedometer sensor. New relay to be installed. Sounds like ignition, IAC, and kill switch are on the list of possibles. So glad that some of you found your problem. I suppose I could take it to the HD dealer but without really knowing the cause they would likely start replacing stuff same as me.

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 04:55 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I suppose I could take it to the HD dealer but without really knowing the cause they would likely start replacing stuff same as me.
Yea unless you found the right combination of conditions to actually have act up repeatedly.
Most mechanic's I've known will tell you if the problem can be duplicated it goes a long long ways to finding out what it is.

Good luck WP

Old 08-07-2024, 08:15 AM
kemdds
Novice

I posted below on another forum before I joined this one. It is kinda long if you want to skip over. It tells my whole story about this problem

.https://hdbitchin.com/2006-road-king...oogle_vignette

Old 08-07-2024, 09:50 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
You shouldn't try to patch up junk like that. Years ago, they plated a thick coating of silver on contacts.

Thing of the past. They have a skim coat on brass.

It will be back to the same problem in just a short time.

Silver has little resistance. Brass does and arcs and that resistance creates heat.

My bad. On my phone, and what you said looked line inside relay. You still ought to replace that. My guess is the fuse box is junk too. Guess MD is Maryland. Bike is been in a lot of road salt or outdoors storage.

HDs connections were never coated with silver.. Some are coated with tin..

It's not the resistance property of silver that makes it useful but it's anti corrosive properties. Gold is better.

Nothing wrong with brass contacts.. They can be cleaned up. What helps connector contacts to connect electrically is simply unplugging and plugging. The wiping action make the contact.

AT the OP,,
Do you have a TSSM? On this year, the TSSM can disable the ECU by sending a message to shutdown the ECU. Also TCMs and TSSM have the tip function. Not sure if the system records security issues but it will record tip..

I own a 07 FLHTC. It had an issue where it would shut down when really cold, pull over to the side of the road, cycle the ignition or run/stop switch and it would startback up and run. It didn't do it very often but maybe once every couple years. Last time it did it, I switched the ignition off and toggled the run/stop switch a bunch of times.. It hasn't done it since.. Not sure it's your issue but the issue was getting more common (at normal temps) and after I toggle the switch a bunch, it's stopped.

Old 08-07-2024, 12:19 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Did you remove the cap on the relay and inspect it internally? Many times the corrosion goes past the plastic base and into the relay components.
Similarly did you inspect the socket and wires that were plugged into that corroded relay? Many times those are just as corroded.
@kemdds Reading this and your other forum thread the corrosion seen on the relay certainly needed to be addressed.
My thinking is it was a real possibility of being the problem.
A couple of questions
1 Have you identified the relay that you cleaned up
2 Did you do what foxtrapper suggested ? Did you get the Amazon relay installed.

WP

Old 08-07-2024, 01:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
HDs connections were never coated with silver.. Some are coated with tin..

It's not the resistance property of silver that makes it useful but it's anti corrosive properties. Gold is better.

Nothing wrong with brass contacts.. They can be cleaned up. What helps connector contacts to connect electrically is simply unplugging and plugging. The wiping action make the contact.

AT the OP,,
Do you have a TSSM? On this year, the TSSM can disable the ECU by sending a message to shutdown the ECU. Also TCMs and TSSM have the tip function. Not sure if the system records security issues but it will record tip..

I own a 07 FLHTC. It had an issue where it would shut down when really cold, pull over to the side of the road, cycle the ignition or run/stop switch and it would startback up and run. It didn't do it very often but maybe once every couple years. Last time it did it, I switched the ignition off and toggled the run/stop switch a bunch of times.. It hasn't done it since.. Not sure it's your issue but the issue was getting more common (at normal temps) and after I toggle the switch a bunch, it's stopped.
Silver coated starter solenoid contacts make helped them last 100K. After marker copper ones were lucky to go 20K amd brass if you were lucky didn't weld together and keep cranking a running motor. Now that's cars.

Silver has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal, along with having the lowest contact resistance. (Google)

What Harley first had not sure of. They didn't put starters in them in the 60s I guess. So guess your right about no silver on contacts. Sure Harleys only used the gold on bling. I bet his fuse box connections are a pitted mess.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-07-2024 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Tell us how you finally solved the engine quit while riding