Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Road King custom EFI cursed abomination

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 07:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
No compression? Start there. That's the serious one and likely the main culprit of everything going on.

I doubt it's the valves, because rarely does one kill both cylinders at the same time. Not impossible, just not likely.

Far more likely is something wrong in the cam chest. No real point in speculation, you need to do actual investigation.
Cam timing could be off enough to bend both valves.

The other issue could be that the intake and exhaust pushrods were swapped on both cylinders. Exhausts are longer and can hold the intakes open.

If new lifters were used and adjustable pushrods, the pushrods could be adjusted too long so the valves don't sit on the seats.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
07UltraGuy (08-03-2024), foxtrapper (07-30-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 10:11 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Here's a easy to follow wiring diagram with a simple to follow explanation. It may or not help him out. At this point of the OP's post, I'm not sure what he actually did to his bike. Sounds almost like he started out to check or replace his cam chain tensioners, then possibly misadjusted his push rods. He may not have paid attention to timing marks, and just slapped it back together, and has a bike that used to run. I think at this point his best chance to get it running is to take it apart, and carefully go over everything he did.,,,

Old 08-03-2024, 06:15 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Hi all, here's the final update, and wow, did i ever get into the weeds, long story short or TL;DR , bike is running again, and running awesome.
first and foremost, thank you all for your valuable and useful advice, no joke, i learned a lot.
heres a break down of faults, and corrections I have found and fixed so far,

- Tensioners went, they were replaced.
- timing was ****ed, then corrected.
- electrical was troubleshot till the cows came home, they said mooooo, it isn't electrical, check the sensors, and modules, so i did, they all checked out, the cows apologized for the bad advice.
- i listened to all of your advice, and took it to heart, checked everything. installed new kill switch, new battery,
-re cleaned and checked every connection, replaced every fuse,
-did the electrical testing , load testing, ohms and volts galore!
-Spark plug tests compression tests.... everything eluded me.....
-Had several old harley guys and mechanics look at it and scratch thier heads, no idea they said....one said....ITS CURSED!!!!
So in the end, it was not just one thing that was the issue, it was a couple things compounding it. the pushrods got corrected, and then wham, compression, no start, switched plug cables to the correct side of the coil. vroom. bike starts right up.

correct me if i am wrong, pushrods were also contributing to lack of compression, leaving valves open when they were supposed to be fully closed.
so, the ECM did not see compression, hence no spark,
anyway, now, i have an oil leak from the front jug top area, im about to launch this bike off the government pier down at the harbor lol.....

ill keep you posted on my progress in THAT endeavour.
keep both on the road troops!

Airborne!

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

correct me if i am wrong, pushrods were also contributing to lack of compression, leaving valves open when they were supposed to be fully closed.
so, the ECM did not see compression, hence no spark,
anyway, now, i have an oil leak from the front jug top area, im about to launch this bike off the government pier down at the harbor lol.....
​​​​​​​Yepper..