Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Road King custom EFI cursed abomination

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 10:40 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Yeah, It's complete BS.. AFAIK the only thing ion sensing does is retard timing. It won't cut spark. Also the motor has to be running and above warm up temps before ion sensing kicks in. It's used for hot run timing adjustment at stoichiometric AFR. Starting,,, Fuel is rich.
well ****, ok, cool, thanks for that, running out of things to check, ill be slapping it back together tomorrow, going to see how it goes. ill keep you up dated

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (07-25-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 04:00 PM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,097 Likes on 453 Posts

I hope this clarifies the ground for the plug, to observe spark while cranking.. The spark completes the circuit.

Old 07-26-2024, 08:05 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 282 Posts

Let me start with I loved how you asked your questions

Simply to ground a spark plug. Take a spare spark plug leaving the originals installed. Plug the plug into the spark plug wire, then hold the threaded bit against a clean bolt on the head or the cylinder head. Crank the engine over with all switches in the RUN position. If all is well you should see a spark. Another option is to use a spark tester. It's a simple device that you plug into the wire and then on the plug. Available at most auto parts stores and Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks USD.

Good luck!
Tom

Old 07-26-2024, 09:07 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

I think what we’ve learned here today is that you should participate in the “Do you prefer Carbed Harley’s” threads.

Old 07-28-2024, 08:00 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

If it was my bike my next step would be is to trace the wiring going to the coil, from the ignition for voltage or a broken or open wire. It might be from age, vibration, chafing. I would try bypassing the existing wire with with a know good piece . You need to know your getting power for it to run. It might be the wire has pulled out of a connecter, but by just looking at it it might look fine. But the meter won't lie to you.,,

BodgerVonBodgerson (07-29-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 08:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
If it was my bike my next step would be is to trace the wiring going to the coil, from the ignition for voltage or a broken or open wire. It might be from age, vibration, chafing. I would try bypassing the existing wire with with a know good piece . You need to know your getting power for it to run. It might be the wire has pulled out of a connecter, but by just looking at it it might look fine. But the meter won't lie to you.,,

Sure it will. Pull a connector, measure the voltage and get 12 volts, connect it back up and under load it goes back to 0.

Tom H (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 11:27 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Sure it will. Pull a connector, measure the voltage and get 12 volts, connect it back up and under load it goes back to 0.
If the voltage goes from 12 volts to 0, that might indicate something is shorted. Possibly the coil itself. Read the ohm's of the coil, primary and secondary, then check them against what the service manual says they should be. Or, if you have a friend that will loan you his coil to do a test, that would eliminate the coil altogether.,,

Old 07-29-2024, 08:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
If the voltage goes from 12 volts to 0, that might indicate something is shorted. Possibly the coil itself. Read the ohm's of the coil, primary and secondary, then check them against what the service manual says they should be. Or, if you have a friend that will loan you his coil to do a test, that would eliminate the coil altogether.,,

Before the OP goes to far down this road, One thing to note is that when you switch on the ignition, the coil, injectors and fuel pump only get power for a few seconds if the motor ain't running. They get power from the system relay and the ECM determines where the system relay is on based on key / run stop being switched on or the crank is spinning..

To lazy to go back through all the suggestions but no spark with compression on the rear cylinder (needed for cam phasing), OP need to listen for the fuel pump. If it's there then crank the motor over, the pump should run while cranking and a little after the cranking stops. If so, then the coil should be getting power but if the OP pulls the coil connection he may read 12V and while cranking he may read 12V to the coil but under load from the coil, it may go to 0.. At that point, if the pump runs, the wire is broken somewhere.

Primary resistance is 1/2 ohm.
As others have stated if the voltage drops below 9V while cranking the ECM won't spark.

Old 07-29-2024, 11:01 AM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

update,

New Battery, still no spark, I left it alone for a few days to think on it, still stumped......
tried a new kill switch, no change,

anyone looking to trade a road king for a triumph?lol

Old 07-29-2024, 11:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BodgerVonBodgerson
update,

New Battery, still no spark, I left it alone for a few days to think on it, still stumped......
tried a new kill switch, no change,

anyone looking to trade a road king for a triumph?lol

How about a 71 triumph in boxes?

Seriously does the fuel pump prime?

Does the pump run while cranking?

Quick Reply: 05 Road King custom EFI cursed abomination