Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Road King custom EFI cursed abomination

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 07:33 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Do you have a Tuner on the bike? I had an issue a few years ago where my bike wouldn't start. I have a older Dynajet USB tuner on the bike. Turns out that even if the bike turns over if the tuner doesn't see enough voltage it will not fire spark. In my case I changed the battery, issue solved
no tuner, and thanks for that info, ill remember it when i add a tuner!

Old 07-25-2024, 07:34 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice

it was indeed

Old 07-25-2024, 07:35 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice

Originally Posted by MotorSeven
Marginal battery? Why use one that is marginal? Did you load test it?
i have it plugged into a starter cart, battery tender, the battery is in spec for volts 12.7 its just older and maybe when i explained, I should joke less

The following users liked this post:
MotorSeven (07-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 07:37 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice

Originally Posted by ewhitefo
I am gonna go out on a limb and say check your voltage drop on battery when cranking your bike, if it drops below 9.5 or so your ignition likely won't fire the plugs. I had a bike that the charging system was bad or very weak and would run but would not spark when cranking, only kick start. Non Harley. And I thought the plugs had to be in also, does not the bike sense compression to fire the plugs as well? First idea is a longshot, second one I am going off old grey matter.
now you are taxing MY gray matter lol, are you referring to the automatic decompression shnibbies? if so, i am 100% unsure.

Old 07-25-2024, 07:42 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Does the fuel pump run when you first turn on the ignition / handlebar switch? Does the rear cylinder have compression?

On answering, use the quote button so we can see what you are answering to.

Old 07-25-2024, 09:36 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Does the fuel pump run when you first turn on the ignition / handlebar switch? Does the rear cylinder have compression?

On answering, use the quote button so we can see what you are answering to.

fuel pump yes, it runs when you first turn on the ign , rear cylinder does have compression

Old 07-25-2024, 09:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BodgerVonBodgerson
fuel pump yes, it runs when you first turn on the ign , rear cylinder does have compression

Next press the start button. When the motor stops turning over can you hear the pump run for a second or 2?

Old 07-25-2024, 10:11 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member

Received 6,122 Likes on 2,198 Posts

Here's a good one... does the bike happen to have a piggyback tuner installed?
I ask because I had the same issue and after replacing the coil, plugs, & wires, it still had no rear spark... until I decided to pull the DynaJet PCIII tuner off and try without it.

It fired and ran quite well, though plenty lean w/o the tuner adjusting the AFR.
Just a thought, if you have a tuner, pull it and see if you get spark in stock configuration.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:12 PM
BodgerVonBodgerson
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Next press the start button. When the motor stops turning over can you hear the pump run for a second or 2?
not sure i will check in the morning, thanks for the assist, i did find the following:

Take a wire and ground the plug wire to a ground. THAT is what is meant by grounding a plug wire. Taking a spark plug and grounding THAT will cause th ECM to see the engine as in a cannnot fire condition.

The ECM SEES how a plug fires anymore. This ain't your fathers Oldsmobile. The ION sensing circuit can tell if the plug is trying to fire under cylinder pressure or not. No such thing as an 'ignition' on a bike with an ECM. If it has EFI and its newer type bike with Delphi ECM, ground the plug. THIS will in turn tell the ECM that you are working on the bike and will NOT even try to fire the injectors, plugs, etc. Before the engine even finds its compression stroke, it will 'see' the ground. A newer bike will not KNOW which stroke is combustion and which is exhaust. Everytime one hits the starter, the bike has to find that out using the crank sensor and software. Grounding turns THAT system 'off'.

I am looking to confirm or deny the accuracy of that statement in regards to my bike.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BodgerVonBodgerson
not sure i will check in the morning, thanks for the assist, i did find the following:

Take a wire and ground the plug wire to a ground. THAT is what is meant by grounding a plug wire. Taking a spark plug and grounding THAT will cause th ECM to see the engine as in a cannnot fire condition.

The ECM SEES how a plug fires anymore. This ain't your fathers Oldsmobile. The ION sensing circuit can tell if the plug is trying to fire under cylinder pressure or not. No such thing as an 'ignition' on a bike with an ECM. If it has EFI and its newer type bike with Delphi ECM, ground the plug. THIS will in turn tell the ECM that you are working on the bike and will NOT even try to fire the injectors, plugs, etc. Before the engine even finds its compression stroke, it will 'see' the ground. A newer bike will not KNOW which stroke is combustion and which is exhaust. Everytime one hits the starter, the bike has to find that out using the crank sensor and software. Grounding turns THAT system 'off'.

I am looking to confirm or deny the accuracy of that statement in regards to my bike.
Yeah, It's complete BS.. AFAIK the only thing ion sensing does is retard timing. It won't cut spark. Also the motor has to be running and above warm up temps before ion sensing kicks in. It's used for hot run timing adjustment at stoichiometric AFR. Starting,,, Fuel is rich.

Quick Reply: 05 Road King custom EFI cursed abomination