Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 07:35 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,022 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Rear wheel wobble

So I've decided to start a separate thread instead of polluting "What did you do..."
Still chasing that rear wobble, banging my head on the wall.
2022 Road Glide with 31k
Long story: about a month ago I've had a flat. It was a pretty loud pop, tire started to lose pressure fast and I've rode about half a mile to pull to the shoulder, by the time I've stopped pressure was about 20 psi.
Towed to the dealer, took about a week, because I wanted Cruisetec to match brand new front one.
On my way home noticed terrible wobble at about 70+ mphl I've picked it up before closing time so can't go back.
In a couple days took it back, dealer reglued the wheel weights so they'd be across the rim instead of on one side. Also claimed it was because too tight head bearing, OK, adjust head bearing.
Picked it up - same story wobble at 65+.
Tried to put Ride-On goo it clogged my valve lol. Took the tire off myself, cleaned all the goo and valved and took the wheel to local indy to rebalance.
Try run - same wobble, well maybe it shifted towards 75 but still there. On closer inspection noticed that right side cam has too mych play because somehow axle was pretty gnarled at the edges of the flat "key".
Well, new axle came today, put it on, all excited hit the road and at 75 the wobble is still there. Measured distance from center of the axle to the center of the swing arm bolt - same on both sides.
Now I'm really running out of options.
Now short version
  • wobble at about same speed more or less 70+
  • tire re-balanced three times
  • new axle and right side cam
  • bearings "seem to be" tight
What's next a new tire ($300 option) a new wheel ($1000 option) ? I do have new bearings but kind of doubt they're going to do anything at this point.
Is there any other way or keep throwing money at it ?
Thanks for any suggestion.

Top Answer

07-30-2024, 07:38 PM
rideonva
Road Master

A closure; thought this post was worth repeating !

Originally Posted by b0fh
ok too many posts to read and little time.

you mentioned a tire change, what tire is it? if it is a 18-inch radial in the rear it will wobble, nothing you can do. need to be the bias tire.
Got new bias tire mounted button up everything but we've got thunderstorms in the area lol. As soon as it stopped raining I couldn't wait any longer and went for a test ride. Took it to 95, as much as I've dared with brand new tire, wet spots on the road and potential speeding fine lol - NO WOBBLE !
Back in the saddle !

Old 07-24-2024, 07:39 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,775 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Have you checked wheel runout?

Have you run the bike on a jack and watched the rear tire?

If not, I'd start there.

The following 5 users liked this post by 702:
07UltraGuy (07-24-2024), aboatguy (07-28-2024), flhf150 (07-25-2024), Oko (07-25-2024), strokelessone (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 07:53 PM
Rufus13
Tourer
Received 315 Likes on 175 Posts

Huh.. Well that's weird. Check the tires' air pressure and see if there's evidence of a leak in the fork seals. Find an exploded diagram of the rear wheel and spacer set-up, maybe a spacer is on the wrong side. Look at the bead of the tire and see if its equal all around (that would show up in the run-out check 702 recommended anyhow.) Do the string test for the rear wheel alignment. Check the belt tension and how it runs on the pulley. Keep us posted, I'm curious how this one turns out.
Good luck!

Old 07-24-2024, 07:59 PM
Rufus13
Tourer

You heard a loud pop. Tire still had air in it. Maybe a weld cracked somewhere.. Weird stuff.

Last edited by Rufus13; 07-24-2024 at 08:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rufus13:
t150vej (07-29-2024), Ultrascott (07-26-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 09:00 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by 702
Have you checked wheel runout?
Have you run the bike on a jack and watched the rear tire?

If not, I'd start there.
No I didn't check runout yet, not sure how accurate it would be but worth a try, I guess as for running on the jack - it starts to wobble at 70+, pretty consistently below that it's pretty good.

Old 07-24-2024, 09:03 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rufus13
Huh.. Well that's weird. Check the tires' air pressure and see if there's evidence of a leak in the fork seals. Find an exploded diagram of the rear wheel and spacer set-up, maybe a spacer is on the wrong side. Look at the bead of the tire and see if its equal all around (that would show up in the run-out check 702 recommended anyhow.) Do the string test for the rear wheel alignment. Check the belt tension and how it runs on the pulley. Keep us posted, I'm curious how this one turns out.
Good luck!
Only one spacer on ABS wheel, on pulley side and accounted for Not sure what string test is I did measure from mid axle to the middle of the cap covering swing arm bolt - same distance. Yeah belt was tight (too tight probably) after today's axle install, I've just decided to do a test run (about 15 miles) and then readjust the belt.

Old 07-24-2024, 09:04 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rufus13
You heard a loud pop. Tire still had air in it. Maybe a weld cracked somewhere.. Weird stuff.
Tire is holding pressure.

Old 07-24-2024, 09:46 PM
Rufus13
Tourer

Originally Posted by rideonva
Only one spacer on ABS wheel, on pulley side and accounted for Not sure what string test is I did measure from mid axle to the middle of the cap covering swing arm bolt - same distance. Yeah belt was tight (too tight probably) after today's axle install, I've just decided to do a test run (about 15 miles) and then readjust the belt.
To do a string test I would get two helpers, one to hold the bike upright and steady, the other to hold one end of a string at the front end, down by the floor.
The idea is to stretch a string that just touches the sidewall of the tire at the rear of the back wheel then have the helper at the front move the front end of the string slowly toward the front wheel (held straight by the other helper) until you tell him it just touches the front edge of the rear tire, then make a mark on a piece of tape stuck to the floor.
If the front and rear tires are the same size it might touch the front tire at the same time but most fronts are narrower than the rears so you just mark it carefully.
Then do the other side. The marks should show the string is parallel to the front tire if the rear wheel is aligned perfectly. It all depends on the helpers, so get someone dependable involved. If the rear wheel is off, it will be obvious. I used to do this in the old days and mark the swing arm, both sides with reference marks to use later when adjusting chain or belt tensions. It's harder to describe than it is to do.

The following users liked this post:
rideonva (07-24-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 12:19 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,263 Likes on 575 Posts

Bent pully? if belt pulls too tight it could perhapse flex the swing arm/rear fork.

Old 07-25-2024, 05:07 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

I would find a really good friend or perhaps a shop or indy dealer that has a rim and tire that already runs good and swap it out on your bike. if your bike still wobbles, you've narrowed it down significantly. That would considerably limit your money expenditure....Good luck
I have a tire and rim off a 13 Street glide, you would have to swap out the bearings for ABS ones, and pay for shipping, but its yours if you want it. It runs true, just to make sure it isn't your rim or tire.

Last edited by strokelessone; 07-25-2024 at 05:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by strokelessone:
07UltraGuy (07-25-2024), t150vej (07-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Rear wheel wobble