Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 08:32 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,276 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by rideonva
A closure; thought this post was worth repeating !

Got new bias tire mounted button up everything but we've got thunderstorms in the area lol. As soon as it stopped raining I couldn't wait any longer and went for a test ride. Took it to 95, as much as I've dared with brand new tire, wet spots on the road and potential speeding fine lol - NO WOBBLE !
Back in the saddle !
I followed this thread and am very happy that I did.
The results are very satisfying, and I learned quite a bit from the discussion.

Last edited by Evo-Wes; 07-31-2024 at 08:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rideonva (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:48 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 2,886 Posts

How are you swing arm bushings. Are either of your belt pullies loose or damaged? Are your wheel bearings shot?

Old 07-31-2024, 09:05 AM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
How are you swing arm bushings. Are either of your belt pullies loose or damaged? Are your wheel bearings shot?
Didn't take the bushings out (no reason now). All bearings look good. I did buy a set for the wheel but haven't installed it yet because old ones look good.

Old 07-31-2024, 09:05 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,762 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
chalk +1 for anedoctal evidence

as you could see when mounting it, the radial is a lot more 'squishier/softer' on the walls... that seems to cause this weird wobble on this heavy AF bikes.
there is a 200 tire (also radial) that fits, same thing... wobbles no mater how much you over-inflate it. metzeler should put a warning on their website about it.
Metzeler does not recommend the Cruiser Tech for the ElectraGlide series, according to their website. I was considering them from the reports here and other places. I will stick with the 888 for one more rear. Then will see what is the better price between the Metzeler 888 or the American Elites.

I had American Elites on the bike when I bought it. I replaced the rear with another AE at 13,000 because I was leaving for a 2000+ mile trip and was not confident it would last the trip. after a few months I ordered a pair or Metzeler 888 early because of the tire availability issues then. I also put on a dynamic balancer ring with the new pair of tires. I have 14,000 miles on the current rear and front. Front is very good. Rear is good for another 4000, judging by the 5/32-6/32 tread depth remaining. Centramatic stated that some customer reports increased mileage using their system. I believe I am see that now. I am amazed at the mileage I am getting with these new compound tires on my 2019 FLHTP.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 07-31-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:22 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Maybe you have a bad shock on one side. Just because you have a wobble doesn't mean the problem is in the wheel. Although it's quite possible there could also be a manufacturing defect in the new tire that balancing won't overcome.

Old 07-31-2024, 10:33 AM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Maybe you have a bad shock on one side. Just because you have a wobble doesn't mean the problem is in the wheel. Although it's quite possible there could also be a manufacturing defect in the new tire that balancing won't overcome.
Wobble had been resolved with the new bias tire, it's gone, none at 95 mph.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 10:50 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
chalk +1 for anedoctal evidence

as you could see when mounting it, the radial is a lot more 'squishier/softer' on the walls... that seems to cause this weird wobble on this heavy AF bikes.
there is a 200 tire (also radial) that fits, same thing... wobbles no mater how much you over-inflate it. metzeler should put a warning on their website about it.
Possibly more anecdotal evidence .... maybe ...

I know of a few instances of people having issues using a car tire on a motorcycle when towing a trailer. I think part of the issue is that a car tire has a softer sidewall than a motorcycle tire. That's why a number of the people using car tires on a motorcycle will use a run-flat car tire, since those tires have a stiffer sidewall.

Old 07-31-2024, 03:15 PM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

could be. however in case of these metzelers (which are proper MC tires, and also have proper speed/weight rating) what happens is some sort of resonance. I don't know it there are radials in use on the older ones (16") but never heard of issues with those. The new ones with 18" were pretty evident, all of them around here wobbled if metz radial was installed... and there were a lot of them due to a tire shortage mid covid. some people just lived with it for the life of the tire

myself, I just stopped riding my 2019 that much for that time being... bias tires are now available so I should change mine soon, the original ones still have rubber but are all cracked.

Old 07-31-2024, 04:29 PM
davekp
Road Captain
Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Possibly more anecdotal evidence .... maybe ...

I know of a few instances of people having issues using a car tire on a motorcycle when towing a trailer. I think part of the issue is that a car tire has a softer sidewall than a motorcycle tire. That's why a number of the people using car tires on a motorcycle will use a run-flat car tire, since those tires have a stiffer sidewall.
Why would you ever run an automobile tire on a motorcycle?
Auto tires can be on a trike rear, but on a two wheeler?

Old 07-31-2024, 04:51 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp
Why would you ever run an automobile tire on a motorcycle?
Auto tires can be on a trike rear, but on a two wheeler?
I wouldn't run an automobile tire on a motorcycle, but a number of people do. There is even a sub-forum on HDforums dedicated to it.
As for the reason, people claim better tire life, higher load rating, lower cost.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel wobble