Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 12:09 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp
How's your FRONT tire?
A front that has lost it's profile and had a "flat" center of the tread can cause a wobble.
Front tire is also brand new (now about 1k), the reason why I've waited a week for the tire was I wanted to have same model tire front and back

Old 07-25-2024, 12:16 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Few things
* Blow out and 20 pounds of pressure?
* Do not use balance goo - Its going to do nothing
* Did you have the issue before the tire went bad
IF NOT
* did the tire fail or did something cause it to fail
* was the mechanicals diagnosed to make certain nothing caused the tire to fail?
* if all is ok, is the new tire bad? What is the condition of the front tire? Are they matched?

Im not certain there was proper diagnosis done. Me, I'd start from square 1 and not trust any of the prior work...
Let me clarify again so there won't be misunderstanding - there was no blowout. I've ran over something on the intersection and heard pop in my FF helmet. Pressure was dropping fast, so whatever it was - was big. While waiting for a tow I've rolled it back and forth and couldn't find any foreign objects or tears.
Yeah, learned my lesson about goo lol.
No, before flat tire there was no issue with stability - triple digits on occasion.
Something caused tire to fail, I suspect. The reason for the suspicion is that I was going through intersection with construction on one side.
As for mechanicals - I don't see anything obvious. Tire had been changed by the dealership where bike was towed.
Tire is brand new matching my front (Cruisetec both). Front now has about 1k miles. Both tires were replaced at the same time then in about 500 miles I've had a flat.
More update - on my lunch break pulled the wheel off again and check for true - seems to be fine on both sides of the rim.

Old 07-25-2024, 07:32 PM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 694 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by rideonva
Let me clarify again so there won't be misunderstanding - there was no blowout. I've ran over something on the intersection and heard pop in my FF helmet. Pressure was dropping fast, so whatever it was - was big. While waiting for a tow I've rolled it back and forth and couldn't find any foreign objects or tears.
Yeah, learned my lesson about goo lol.
No, before flat tire there was no issue with stability - triple digits on occasion.
Something caused tire to fail, I suspect. The reason for the suspicion is that I was going through intersection with construction on one side.
As for mechanicals - I don't see anything obvious. Tire had been changed by the dealership where bike was towed.
Tire is brand new matching my front (Cruisetec both). Front now has about 1k miles. Both tires were replaced at the same time then in about 500 miles I've had a flat.
More update - on my lunch break pulled the wheel off again and check for true - seems to be fine on both sides of the rim.
The rim is probably fine.
I am questioning the new tire.
Check the runout on the tire sidewall, and on the centre of the tread for axial runout.

Please report back.

Old 07-25-2024, 07:40 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,284 Likes on 585 Posts

Could, and this is just a WAG, could the big hunk of your TPMS come loose from the valve stem and is now throwing your wheel out of balance when at that magic speed?

The following users liked this post:
Ultrascott (07-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 07:54 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by Highway Handler
The rim is probably fine.
I am questioning the new tire.
Check the runout on the tire sidewall, and on the centre of the tread for axial runout.

Please report back.
That makes sense, thanks for the idea.

Old 07-25-2024, 07:56 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Could, and this is just a WAG, could the big hunk of your TPMS come loose from the valve stem and is now throwing your wheel out of balance when at that magic speed?
I took the tire off when I was cleaning valve stem and insides from the balancing goo, TPMS was tight.

Old 07-25-2024, 08:05 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You said it was towed. Did someone ratchet strap it in the wrong place/area maybe and crunched the rim somehow?

Old 07-25-2024, 09:10 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by upstate tim
You said it was towed. Did someone ratchet strap it in the wrong place/area maybe and crunched the rim somehow?
It was ratcheted by the saddle bag guards, was the rim crunched, I don’t know. At this point I’m grabbing at any straw lol. I did check the rim for true, both sides look good, will do tire check for true tomorrow, as Highway Handler suggested.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:02 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Does the RG have rubber engine mounts?
I ask because my son brought a friends RK to my shop and we checked alignment, neck bearings, fall away, tires, etc. - only to find he had a worn engine mount causing wobble at higher speeds.

The following users liked this post:
back again (07-30-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 05:35 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Jack the back end up, place a Coke bottle (or anything tall enough) beside the tire, spin the wheel.................what is wobbling the tire or the rim or nothing? If everything is coposetic your wasting your time chasing a tire issue.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel wobble