Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 10:55 PM
400web
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Someone pulls out in front of you. More or less safe with a trailer?

I suppose you could say I ride in a t-shirt, less safe than ATGATT. But I won't do a trailer, we all draw our line somewhere. But what I hear from people is, don't even know its back there when pulling it. What about e-stops? Nobody plans those.

Towing a trailer impacts on braking, so an emergency stop distance is greater. To compensate I ride slower and try to leave a bigger gap between me and other vehicles, the same as towing with a car to truck. This way I have as much chance or avoiding a crash as riding slightly faster without the trailer. I also avoid towing the trailer through towns and cities as much as possible, can't be helped sometimes when touring.

Old 07-22-2024, 11:41 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

May I suggest if you have Non-Stock aftermarket shocks ( Legend ) contact Legend as you may have pre-load adjustments and weight limits that are dictated by the make, model and specs of those aftermarket shocks no longer the bike specs when it had stock shocks.
I have found most aftermarket shock companies have nice folks that will answer this kinda question via email or a phone call. If nothing else can tell you exactly how to set the shocks with the exact weight you have on the bike now....

Old 07-23-2024, 07:00 AM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 81shovelhd!
I'm 170#
Man, I wish.

Ur golden with that weight. Maybe eat a burger or 2.....mmmm...burger.

Old 07-23-2024, 07:29 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Originally Posted by 400web
Towing a trailer impacts on braking, so an emergency stop distance is greater. To compensate I ride slower and try to leave a bigger gap between me and other vehicles, the same as towing with a car to truck. This way I have as much chance or avoiding a crash as riding slightly faster without the trailer. I also avoid towing the trailer through towns and cities as much as possible, can't be helped sometimes when touring.
Problem is you never know when. I locked up last week when someone pulled out, riding out in the country. Have hit deer too. I except the risk in my truck cause I need to pull something, and in a truck. Like I said we all decide out level of comfort. I ride in a t-shirt, I am not ATGATT.

Just my opinion, obviously many people pull trailers.