Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy anyone price a rear brake job on a Touring bike lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 08:52 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Just did my rear pads yesterday on the 19 SG...$35 for ebc HH sintered pads. 20 minutes. Done 😁
I assume you're not cleaning around the caliper pistons with soap/water/toothbrush and just pushing the pistons in with all that dirt/dust/grime?

Old 07-18-2024, 08:58 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,536 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I assume you're not cleaning around the caliper pistons with soap/water/toothbrush and just pushing the pistons in with all that dirt/dust/grime?
I don't know what you're talking about. Why would you assume that I don't clean the grit and grime out? I do it properly with brake cleaner. Anti sieze on the pin. Anti squeal on the pad back. I've never used soap and water method. A brush works.

Last edited by golfblues; 07-18-2024 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 09:17 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

The one and only time I had a dealer do brakes on my '93 Ultra classic, they messed it up. They couldn't figure out how the anti rattle clips went on, so they left them off. It rattled like a set of morocco's. I had to go back and they gave them to me to install them. Since then, I buy pad's online and put them on myself when they're needed. I take the front calipers off, press on the lever a little bit to push them out, spray the bejeebers out of them, then clean and grease the pins up to remove any crud remaining, then compress the pistons, and grease the back of the pads. I grease them with silicone brake grease, slide them back in with a bit of anti seize on the 1/4 inch screws and the fronts are done. The back pads are a bit trickier, but being patient pays off. Pads are cheap enough to replace when the tires are changed, so paying dealer prices for brake pads aren't worth it to me. I never had any issue with aftermarket pads.,,

Old 07-18-2024, 09:28 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
You can change Rear Pads on the 2000-07 1-piece caliper/brkt without removing axle/wheel/caliper. It's in the FSM ... but 2-piece is easier

This is what I perceived on newer style I pulled the caliper to install tire. It looks easier But on old style you don't need to remove tire as said. Even with a big touring fender I do it I suppose maybe some real big fender could block view? The touring bikes the fender is not whole, but cut out on sides too. But we are in the touring section.

Old 07-18-2024, 10:41 PM
Leimy
Tourer

Received 154 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ChetB
Used this stuff for years on cars, trucks,bikes. Works like a champ.
That looks better than the goop

Old 07-19-2024, 01:22 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 561 Likes on 391 Posts

Could have saved even more money, since the HD pads are EBC pads now.

Old 07-19-2024, 07:25 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Could have saved even more money, since the HD pads are EBC pads now.
I don’t think so. EBC pads are generally known to be made in the UK and possibly US? If you look at Harley’s box it says made in Japan so I’m leaning more Tokico or Akebono?
Even if they were EBC (I don’t believe they are) I wouldn’t have gotten the paste, new caliper bolt, and a new caliper bolt clip for double the money.

Old 07-19-2024, 07:53 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,788 Posts

I am curious I have showa brakes made in Japan post 2008, I believe. I never really considered them noisy. I have not changed them out yet, so maybe they got the goop in them. But I wouldn't be surprised they pads are 9 years old. That goop sure lasts.

Old 07-19-2024, 08:08 AM
SSG_B
Tourer

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Never priced it, put in new HH pads and thoroughly cleaned all my calipers at the time of replacement. I will however need some front rotors one day as mine have the slightest of pulsation felt in the lever.

Old 07-19-2024, 08:19 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Haven't used the Harley "Goop" yet ... During my years operating an automotive garage I had a chance to get involved with GM Proving Grounds on several occasions ... One in particular was the newly designed ( 1988 ) Cutlass / Regal "W" car ... I had been using Disc Brake Quiet and I was introduced to Dynatex ... In short order it became our "go to" whenever a brake job was performed ... It significantly ( if not completely ) reduced brake noise ... It doesn't wash out and also does a remarkable job of keeping all external moving parts moving freely and clear of rust ... Still use it to this day on ANY brake project ... " Try it, You'll Like It "

https://dynatex.net/products/brake-s...-compound/109/

Quick Reply: Crazy anyone price a rear brake job on a Touring bike lately?