Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the Sun highway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 10:42 PM
MedicineBow
Stellar HDF Member

Received 7,899 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Yes. Reservations needed, but as others have said , get in before 6 AM. I'll be there in about a week and a half and we're going in early as we couldn't get reservations. Wish I was on the bike, but at least I'll be in Yellowstone next week on the bike.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 07-10-2024, 10:47 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,625 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Was there last year in mid Sept, did not need one at that time but still was quite a line at the west entrance, am sure would be a big line during the high season.

Old 07-11-2024, 12:36 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,679 Likes on 11,547 Posts

Imho…riding from the East you get a better view of the oncoming majestic mountain peaks rather than them behind you if you are coming from the west,

Old 07-11-2024, 09:17 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Yes, reservation needed either way now.
Having done it last year, the mass of tourists really kill the experience. It's a traffic jam from end to end.

Were I to do it again, and someday I will, I'd park the bike and take the tourist bus ride.

Old 07-11-2024, 10:23 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,625 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Just checked the site, says after Sept 8 no reservations needed. Last year when we were there in Sept was still busy and from the west entrance there were several miles of dirt road as construction was going on but was still a very memorable ride.
IMO if you can wait until mid Sept, would be your best time to go.
Brings back memories, was in Columbia Falls back in the mid 80's, reminded me of a small town you would see in a 1930's movie, now traffic and strip malls all over the place, sure has changed since then.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 07-11-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:20 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Those of us living in the Rockies know the mountain passes are not open until early July. Snow and cold anytime of year. Logan pass is no different and is about 7000’. Yet, in august it can be 100F. Thunderstorms are normal, just as they are in Yellowstone. June is early, risky at best, but you can get lucky. Officially it opens late May, but those with 2 wheel western mountain experience are ready to take route 2 around rather than follow a snow plow over going to the sun. Hope you had better riding on the rest of your trip.
I’ll add this. I grew up in Maine. Snow is virtually everywhere when it snows. On top of bigalow, in Sharon mills, in Augusta, in Saco. Altitude has little or no effect back east, even in the appalations. However, in the 70’s I moved to Snopass, between Snoqualmie pass and north bend. Elevation is everything in the cascades and Rockies. You ride, even drive, you know in 10 miles you can go from 50F and sunny to 3” of wet snow and 30 knot winds. Mountain riders learn this almost their first day.

Old 07-11-2024, 11:56 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Yes, reservation needed either way now.
Having done it last year, the mass of tourists really kill the experience. It's a traffic jam from end to end.

Were I to do it again, and someday I will, I'd park the bike and take the tourist bus ride.
But then you would not have a picture of your bike

When I went it was the a hole biyclist that were the problem. Trucks going around them on narrow mountain roads
They were not even allowed to be in there those hours.

Old 07-11-2024, 12:47 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rounders
I think I have no picture of my bike up on Going to the Sun highway because there was nowhere to pull off and take a picture. At best, I suppose at the various moments we all stopped and waited in the road I could have taken a picture.
The other roads there were much less travelled, and allowed for stops and walking. I enjoyed them more.

Really, next time I'm taking the cool busses, and I'd probably drive Rt 2 a bit south to cover the same east/west distance. Riding the busses allows for all kinds of looking around and picture taking, and you undoubtably get a tour guide with the bus.

Old 07-11-2024, 03:48 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,152 Likes on 3,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
And you do??? What a joke

@foxtrapper It is a tough place to get a bike pic, for sure. If you look at mine above, that is one of those micro-pullouts, I RAN to the other side between traffic jams.

We have done it 3 times. The best time to go is right before the snow flies in October. Fewer people, and great temps during the day. You can see the leaves falling:

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
foxtrapper (07-11-2024), SMR65 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 04:14 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Went back into my archives to look at the pictures, and while there was certainly traffic on the road, it was *not* the bumper to bumper traffic I'm remembering it as. Nor am I seeing along the route on Google Maps a particular mountain area I'm thinking of, which makes me wonder where the heck that actually was.

Regardless, Glacer National Park was one of the most stunning and beautiful places I've ever been to or through.

Quick Reply: Going to the Sun highway