Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to reduce the heat coming off the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 08:40 AM
M1dn1t3
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
The hard thing about these threads is figuring out if something is wrong, you are not used to it, or are you simply looking for ways to make it better.

Engines have gotten bigger, so there will be more heat. EPA has gotten more restrictive, which I suspect is big part of it. But unless you take temp gone after tune and cams/port heads, hard to say.

To my knowledge my cat is still in, bought used. Does not seem hot, it is HO though, with cooled heads. I was really worried about the OL. But she has done a lot of riding with me, so maybe just used to it.
Haven't made any changes to the bike since I bought it, pipes and tune were done by previous owner. I've put over 5000km on her since I got it, probably 50/50 highway and city traffic/speeds, this is the first time the heat off the engine has made me this uncomfortable while riding.

I was looking things over yesterday after removing the doors off of the lower fairings, and did notice the front spark plug was loose, maybe an 1/8 of a turn? not sure if this would have been a contributor to the issue or not with the fi2000 doing the fuel management? Took it for a short ride afterwards and temperatures did seem to be more like I thought they should be, lots of heat, but not enough to make we want to get off the bike, but maybe that was just a product of the increased airflow past my legs. I have a lot of riding coming up in the next few days between a memorial ride for a recent fallen rider tonight, and events all this weekend, so I guess we'll see...

Appreciate everyone's feedback and discussion, I'm always aware the internet is not the best way to diagnose a problem, but its always nice to just get some different perspectives and experiences to keep from getting tunnel vision!

Cheers all!

Old 07-12-2024, 06:26 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,180 Likes on 1,821 Posts

The OL has a 2014 Deluxe that runs hot as hell. A while back we went on a weekend trio and the heat from the rear exhaust actually blistered her leg. She hasn’t been able to ride it the past couple of years because of bad knees, but I plan on wrapping the exhaust and taking it in for a dyno tune. Hopefully, a good tune will eliminate a lot of the heat.