Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to reduce the heat coming off the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 07:12 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,767 Posts

There was a guy with I believe mostly stock 2007 going on and on about heat. to tell you the truth I though it was his first harley. You get that. Turned out he had something wrong. Maybe o2 sensor, I don't remember. With a tune, you have taken one step. A cam and head work might cool it down a little reducing epa restirctions.

Unless there is something about your exhaust that makes it so hot.

I thought the guy was a whiner, and just needs to get used to it. But turns out he had something actually wrong. Maybe search through thread for heat and hot 2007. Maybe he will chime in.

Was it this hot before the exhaust?

Old 07-10-2024, 09:27 AM
davekp
Road Captain
Received 236 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I sure hope you don't wear shorts while riding. Huge difference. When you have an ICE between your legs it's gonna put off a lot of heat and add summer temps and it's nasty.
What is "ICE"?

Old 07-10-2024, 09:45 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,943 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp
What is "ICE"?
\

Internal Combustion Engine.

Old 07-10-2024, 10:42 AM
M1dn1t3
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the info and responses everyone!

Old 07-10-2024, 03:08 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp
What is "ICE"?
Internal Combustion Engine is ICE

Old 07-10-2024, 03:27 PM
M1dn1t3
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
There was a guy with I believe mostly stock 2007 going on and on about heat. to tell you the truth I though it was his first harley. You get that. Turned out he had something wrong. Maybe o2 sensor, I don't remember. With a tune, you have taken one step. A cam and head work might cool it down a little reducing epa restirctions.

Unless there is something about your exhaust that makes it so hot.

I thought the guy was a whiner, and just needs to get used to it. But turns out he had something actually wrong. Maybe search through thread for heat and hot 2007. Maybe he will chime in.

Was it this hot before the exhaust?
I found this thread, a lot of interesting info in there, I'll have to go through it a little more when I have some time. Thanks for that!

Old 07-10-2024, 05:54 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

The hard thing about these threads is figuring out if something is wrong, you are not used to it, or are you simply looking for ways to make it better.

Engines have gotten bigger, so there will be more heat. EPA has gotten more restrictive, which I suspect is big part of it. But unless you take temp gone after tune and cams/port heads, hard to say.

To my knowledge my cat is still in, bought used. Does not seem hot, it is HO though, with cooled heads. I was really worried about the OL. But she has done a lot of riding with me, so maybe just used to it.

The following users liked this post:
Ultra103 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:26 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
The hard thing about these threads is figuring out if something is wrong, you are not used to it, or are you simply looking for ways to make it better.

Engines have gotten bigger, so there will be more heat. EPA has gotten more restrictive, which I suspect is big part of it. But unless you take temp gone after tune and cams/port heads, hard to say.

To my knowledge my cat is still in, bought used. Does not seem hot, it is HO though, with cooled heads. I was really worried about the OL. But she has done a lot of riding with me, so maybe just used to it.
I think the tune has a lot to do with it. I like to run mine a little sweet, takes a little of the fuel mileage away but it sure runs cool. The shower heads help, as does the cat being gone on mine. If you get curious about the cat on yours, run a stiff wire up the right side and see if you hit something past the slip on.

Rounders (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 09:11 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra103
I . If you get curious about the cat on yours, run a stiff wire up the right side and see if you hit something past the slip on.
Forgot to look when I had tire up, I wasn't sure if you could do this. Bike is pretty much stock, including pipes. But I am curious.

Old 07-10-2024, 10:04 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

The head pipe looks OEM. Like others said, take off the lowers. Try that and report back...

M1dn1t3 (07-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Any way to reduce the heat coming off the exhaust?