Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used lifters and cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 10:52 PM
gt06
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Used lifters and cams

This is just a curious question because I came across an ad on market place while browsing and it got me wondering.. first of, is installing used parts if in great condition and good price in your bike an option to consider? I know new would be the best option but all things being equal if on a tight budget should one even entertain the idea? I posted in another thread regarding my recent purchase of a 2014 CVO Ultra Limited with 44,000 miles and most suggested to install new lifters as a precaution against the CVO 110 lifter issue and this got me thinking if this is something I might consider or steer far away from. I can attach a couple photos of the ad ( modified if it's allowed ). Seller says only 5000km on the parts which are Set of Woods TW7H-6 Cams and Night prowler lifters for $500 CDN. I don't know enough about this to pass judgement so please be kind... I'm just asking.

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 04:36 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,077 Posts

You don't want to use old parts on a new build. Especially in the cam department. JMO

The following 2 users liked this post by OldEnuf2NoBtr:
Fireball Jack (07-02-2024), maugusta1 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 05:13 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 2,763 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
You don't want to use old parts on a new build. Especially in the cam department. JMO

I get your point but it`s not a new "build" the OP is doing this simply as a matter of prevention
I wouldn`t worry about parts with 3k miles

My question would be if the Woods cam mentioned is a bolt in cam that doesn`t require other mods to support it`s characteristics.
( I admit I didn`t look it up )

Last edited by eighteight; 07-02-2024 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2024, 05:20 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 759 Posts

Would you take some strangers word on the internet about the mileage on said parts? The cams would probably be self evident in wear, but I wouldn't touch used lifters . But that's me.

The following 3 users liked this post by jake24lt:
Dan89FLSTC (07-02-2024), Fireball Jack (07-02-2024), Ohio HD (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 05:23 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 428 Likes on 306 Posts

The lifters (even roller lifters) take a "set" with the cam lobe, so they would need to go back on the same cam lobe. If they weren't labeled or paired up with the cam lobe, I would use new lifters.

smitty901 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:01 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I've questioned if lifters need to be changed with cams. Some people seem to try lots of cams.

Plus you replace lifters based on age, and not cams.

At 44k I would replace lifters when it is open in general and cam bearings.

Old 07-02-2024, 08:54 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,818 Likes on 4,208 Posts

Originally Posted by gt06
This is just a curious question because I came across an ad on market place while browsing and it got me wondering.. first of, is installing used parts if in great condition and good price in your bike an option to consider? I know new would be the best option but all things being equal if on a tight budget should one even entertain the idea? I posted in another thread regarding my recent purchase of a 2014 CVO Ultra Limited with 44,000 miles and most suggested to install new lifters as a precaution against the CVO 110 lifter issue and this got me thinking if this is something I might consider or steer far away from. I can attach a couple photos of the ad ( modified if it's allowed ). Seller says only 5000km on the parts which are Set of Woods TW7H-6 Cams and Night prowler lifters for $500 CDN. I don't know enough about this to pass judgement so please be kind... I'm just asking.
The CVO lifter issue has a lot to do with the valve spring pressure in the 110" CVO heads.

I saved this response on a forum, from Scott @ Hillside cycles, about the SE CVO 110" lifter issue:

"It was not the lifter itself, but rather the incredibly stout Comp Cams triple valve springs that HD used in the heads, that would destroy the roller lifter axle, take out the cams, and fubar the oil pump from the introduction of hardened metal debris.
When we are performing HD Extended Warranty claims on those, we MANDATE to the insurance company that those be changed.
Many happy clients after that, with big trouble free/quiet engine miles on their bikes, only prove it.
Scott"

IMHO....
Woods makes a good lifter. However, any used part is basically an unknown, unless you personally know the source. I wouldn't buy used lifters unless you have the expertise to take them apart and inspect the internals.

If worried about the CVO 110" engine lifter issue, and you are not going to change the valve springs, I would use new lifters...

Good luck with your decisions and your mods...

Ohio HD (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 08:59 AM
gt06
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm perhaps it's best for now to just go with new lifters. I do want to do more upgrades as time and money permits but right now the priority is to make sure I replace the lifters. Given all the issues with the 110 lifters should I be concerned about brand? As quoted in my other thread the dealer quoted me a price on SE lifters and quick adjustment SE push rods. Should I stay away from the SE lifters. I one dealer said that the troubled lifter no longer exist and they have long since upgraded them to the current lifters. I don't know enough about different brands or where to get them other than the dealer. If I order them from somewhere else it would have to be on the advise of you fine folks here. I did find one shop near me just this morning and I'm gonna give them a call to see what they recommend.

Old 07-02-2024, 09:06 AM
Ohio HD
Road Captain
Received 571 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by gt06
Hmmm perhaps it's best for now to just go with new lifters. I do want to do more upgrades as time and money permits but right now the priority is to make sure I replace the lifters. Given all the issues with the 110 lifters should I be concerned about brand? As quoted in my other thread the dealer quoted me a price on SE lifters and quick adjustment SE push rods. Should I stay away from the SE lifters. I one dealer said that the troubled lifter no longer exist and they have long since upgraded them to the current lifters. I don't know enough about different brands or where to get them other than the dealer. If I order them from somewhere else it would have to be on the advise of you fine folks here. I did find one shop near me just this morning and I'm gonna give them a call to see what they recommend.
That's the best solution, just some new lifters.

My opinion on lifters:
Hylift Johnson from Larry's Motorcycle and Machine
S&S from just about anywhere
Feuling HP+ Lifters from just about anywhere

The following 2 users liked this post by Ohio HD:
djl (07-02-2024), hattitude (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 09:25 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,677 Likes on 6,483 Posts

Quick Reply: Used lifters and cams