Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wants to start when the bike is off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 05:21 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom H
Let me see if I can get this right.

Battery cables not attached to battery.

Power switch in the off position as in the bike is shut down/off.

Connect battery and the starter spins and cranks over the engine.

Disconnect battery cable and starter stops. (could be a stuck solenoid causing this you'd think)

Remove the small starter solenoid wire. (the power switch is still in the OFF position).

Attach battery cables and all is fine. (power is still off)

Connect solenoid wire and the starter cranks the engine. (power switch is still in the OFF position)

Unplug the solenoid wire and it stops cranking. (You got it)

Now if you turn the power switch to ON and the kill switch to RUN with the battery connected and the solenoid wire disconnected.

If you hold the solenoid wire to the spade on the solenoid.the bike will crank and run, Once the engine is running, you disconnect the solenoid wire and the starter stops cranking.

IF....it were a stuck switch on the handle bar control, I would think that when you turn the power switch to on and the kill switch to run, the bike would crank. Turn off power and it stops cranking.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like the BCM (I think) is having issues. Once the battery is connected, I'm guessing the BCM is powered up regardless of what position the power switch is in. So what ever circuit in the BCM is acting like it want to make the solenoid work.

Could there be another explanation for why there is power on the small solenoid wire with the power switch in the OFF position????? Could there be a wire in the starter control circuit that may be powered ONLY when you hit the starter button, but some some reason is now powered all the time regardless of what position the POWER switch is in?? A short or the like??

Might be worth unplugging the RH controls to see if it makes a difference????

Just a thought, please correct me if I got something wrong.
Tom
It is the BCM.. With power off, the handlebar control switch makes no difference but the starter still cranks.. If the starter didn't crank with the ignition off and wire connected, but cranked with the ignition on, it would be worthwhile to check the handlebar switch..

The following users liked this post:
Mr Myk (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 05:44 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,777 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It is the BCM.. With power off, the handlebar control switch makes no difference but the starter still cranks.. If the starter didn't crank with the ignition off and wire connected, but cranked with the ignition on, it would be worthwhile to check the handlebar switch..
when the battery was dead the first time did you try and jump start the bike? Also, pull the main fuse, disconnect both battery cables at the battery and touch the negative and positive cables (make absolutely sure both battery cables are not connected to the battery), if the bcm is wacked out it may just need to be rebooted. By touching the cables together you are discharging the compacitors and chips in the BCM. Or you can just let it sit for awhile with the fuse pulled battery disconnected.

Old 07-01-2024, 06:01 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 282 Posts

Wonkey's thought may help, it doesn't cost anything to try it, especially the part of the battery disconnected from the cables and holding the battery cables together. I've read about that for cars.

The reason I thought about disconnecting the RH switch connector is that if there were a always hot wire into the switch to power the brake light or emergency flashers or the like up there (not sure if there is). Maybe it could be shorting against the wire from the start button to the BCM. As in both wires got pinched when some work was done and finally moved together enough to make contact. Not likely, but again it's free to try.

Good luck!
Tom

Old 07-01-2024, 11:15 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,929 Likes on 11,620 Posts

Here’s the starting schematic, maybe this will help. I’d try to add more magic smoke.

The following 3 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
Evo-Wes (07-02-2024), Mr Myk (07-02-2024), NELS (07-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 11:52 AM
Mr Myk
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick update for those who had input and wanted to know what the problem finally was.

I took it to the dealer and I told them what I thought it was, and they spent 2 1/2 hours diagnosing the problem. Told me I had a short between the BCM and the Solenoid. Then they called me back and told me I was right it was a short IN the BCM, and had to replace the BCM. To those who thought it was the relay, the new Harley don't have a relay going to the Solenoid. And the the bike was turning over, and starting with a little Mickey Mouse help, so it's not the starter.

Thanks again for all your input.
Mike

The following 4 users liked this post by Mr Myk:
BigD48 (08-02-2024), Goose_NC (08-02-2024), Max Headflow (08-02-2024), Tom H (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 01:12 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 282 Posts

Thanks for the update!

Tom

Old 08-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,817 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Deleted - as the issue was confirmed.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 08-02-2024 at 01:41 PM.