Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Live to ride, ride to live emblems, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 07:36 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,712 Likes on 1,372 Posts

While I don’t care whether a bike has the emblems or not, and I really never thought about the expression. When I did having my first cup of coffee, I do think it’s a good way of thinking. It’s old school, like me. That’s probably why I understand it. It’s not my style, but I appreciate it so the sporty I bought with these emblems doesn’t bother me. I also gave up years ago caring about what other people thought of me, my stuff or my actions. If I was to add emblems, mine would probably say “tough ****.”

So this thread like most thread is wandering. Fish tails…I don’t want them, but they are nice on your bike. I no longer think nostalgia is cool, I am living nostalgia. Everybody born in the 40’s gets it. We’ve seen almost everything, every fad, and on the whole, we don’t like where our country is going. I’m in my late 70’s and I work with younger guys at a golf course. We start before 5 and everyone, 20’s, 30’s, 40’s is on their phone, ear buds, listening, talking, looking down at it every moment they get, except me. I don’t carry my phone. For me, it’s just another tool I can use when I need it. So it sits somewhere, waiting for me to find it. I feel nostalgic as I am peacefully enjoying the rising sun, pouring rain, the drone of my mower and now, realizing I don’t need to be connected to be happy where I am. Like I said, my emblem might be, “tough ****”.

I'm at the age where what ever happens, I’ve already seen worse. Somehow that makes live to ride, ride to live okay. Okay, finished my coffee, now to get a life.

The following 3 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
BareKnuckle (07-09-2024), Oko (07-09-2024), Steelernation (07-13-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 05:32 AM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

Not for me, but then there’s a lot of things not for me. To each his own.

Old 07-09-2024, 05:48 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
While I don’t care whether a bike has the emblems or not, and I really never thought about the expression. When I did having my first cup of coffee, I do think it’s a good way of thinking. It’s old school, like me. That’s probably why I understand it. It’s not my style, but I appreciate it so the sporty I bought with these emblems doesn’t bother me. I also gave up years ago caring about what other people thought of me, my stuff or my actions. If I was to add emblems, mine would probably say “tough ****.”

So this thread like most thread is wandering. Fish tails…I don’t want them, but they are nice on your bike. I no longer think nostalgia is cool, I am living nostalgia. Everybody born in the 40’s gets it. We’ve seen almost everything, every fad, and on the whole, we don’t like where our country is going. I’m in my late 70’s and I work with younger guys at a golf course. We start before 5 and everyone, 20’s, 30’s, 40’s is on their phone, ear buds, listening, talking, looking down at it every moment they get, except me. I don’t carry my phone. For me, it’s just another tool I can use when I need it. So it sits somewhere, waiting for me to find it. I feel nostalgic as I am peacefully enjoying the rising sun, pouring rain, the drone of my mower and now, realizing I don’t need to be connected to be happy where I am. Like I said, my emblem might be, “tough ****”.

I'm at the age where what ever happens, I’ve already seen worse. Somehow that makes live to ride, ride to live okay. Okay, finished my coffee, now to get a life.
Sometimes it’s not being in vogue, or modern, sometimes it’s not nostalgia and sometimes it is. Things ARE turning for the worse. I agree with you. People are more selfish, unkind in general. People are more violent, less loyal and decency is out the window. All this woke crap is disgusting. Sometimes reminders of a time that was more honest is good. I wouldn’t want fishtails on another bike, but I like them on my Road King, yes probably heavily due to Nostalgia. That 50’s hotrod vibe is good for me. I like the reminder of the values my parents and their friends lived through.

When I roll the King out of the garage and see the caddy taillights and fishtails, I immediately think of my buddies dad.. sorta my second dad. I think of things he said and did. I think of him in some ways as a reminder to do what you say you will do. Be honest, be fair… but I’m not switching to his Genesee cream ale lol. Love my own dad, good guy, but he was an art teacher, loved classical music, didn’t drink and had no interest in stereotypical “Manly” things. I had to figure that stuff out on my own. My buddy’s dad stepped in a little in that roll… yep it’s all about that 68 Electra glide..

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-09-2024 at 05:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Oko (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:59 AM
Ken45
Road Captain
Received 491 Likes on 224 Posts

I like the factory markings that come on the bike and that is about it. I do not even wear clothing that has all that stuff on it. It says HD on the gas tank, good enough for me. Don't want to walk around looking like a side walk commando. lol

Old 07-09-2024, 01:54 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 862 Posts

I really don't care for the "ride to live, live to ride" crap on a bike, but my current bike has all these flame pieces on it which I also hate! They were on there when I bought the bike. Flame grips, flame tank insert, flame footboards, flame bag latches, derby cover, and fender trim.I'm slowly, but surely, getting rid of all that junk. Btw, those
flame grips feel terrible! Not sure why anyone would want those.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 07-09-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 01:57 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Corny as hell.

Old 07-09-2024, 02:46 PM
BareKnuckle
Club Member
Received 380 Likes on 182 Posts

Amen brother, well said.
" Here's to those who wish us well, those who don't can go to hell"

Old 07-09-2024, 02:48 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo-Wes
In my opinion, that is a time gone by.
I put the "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" in the category of the big number one decal on the bike. Personally, I associate both with the Evo era.

I think the BIG #1 is one of the most iconic Harley had, next to the Bar & Shield. Wouldn't be on my bike, but I had one on my truck. I believe the #1 was from the Shovel ERA.
Some things are Classic and some are not. What really matters is if you like it or not. I would never do my bike depending on what someone else likes or doesn't.

Last edited by TSheff; 07-09-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Ultra103 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:13 PM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
I think the BIG #1 is one of the most iconic Harley had, next to the Bar & Shield. Wouldn't be on my bike, but I had one on my truck. I believe the #1 was from the Shovel ERA.
Some things are Classic and some are not. What really matters is if you like it or not. I would never do my bike depending on what someone else likes or doesn't.

TSheff (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:20 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Everybody born in the 40’s gets it. We’ve seen almost everything, every fad, and on the whole, we don’t like where our country is going. I’m in my late 70’s and I work with younger guys at a golf course. We start before 5 and everyone, 20’s, 30’s, 40’s is on their phone, ear buds, listening, talking, looking down at it every moment they get, except me. I don’t carry my phone. For me, it’s just another tool I can use when I need it. So it sits somewhere, waiting for me to find it. I feel nostalgic as I am peacefully enjoying the rising sun, pouring rain, the drone of my mower and now, realizing I don’t need to be connected to be happy where I am. Like I said, my emblem might be, “tough ****”.
I'm a little bit younger than you.....

But in the last few years, I have said this many, many times;

"I don't know how much time I have left, but I am so glad I am 67 instead of 37.... I absolutely couldn't stand 30 extra years of this crap...!"

Last edited by hattitude; 07-09-2024 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Live to ride, ride to live emblems, yes or no?