Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Live to ride, ride to live emblems, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 12:43 PM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,356 Likes on 671 Posts

Whenever I found my 1998 Electra Glide Ultra Classic 95th it had the LR/RL trim accessories on it.

I was looking for an original, unmolested bike. I gave the LR/RL the hairy eyeball at the time and started looking into the originality of it. Considering all of the other OEM trim gewgaws on this bike I have come to the conclusion that the dealer outfitted this bike to be a showpiece.

So, I have left the LR/RL stuff on it. The LR/RL trim has no appeal to me other than being period-correct and original. If it had been (in my conclusion) earlier/later or aftermarket added by the previous owner, I would have pulled it off the bike.

If it had been the skull stuff on the bike, I would have kept walking.

Old 07-01-2024, 12:55 PM
lowbar
Cruiser
Received 207 Likes on 85 Posts

When I got my 1st Harley in 1990, I thought the Live to Ride crap was just for the old farts. Now that I'm an old fart I've discovered I was mistaken. I just don't like it. The motto is fine, it just doesn't need to be on any bike I own. The #1 on the other hand is classic.

Old 07-01-2024, 12:55 PM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by BareKnuckle
Its a part of the whole Harley legend history story, just like the era of AMF.
I like the logo & dont give a rats **** what others think about it.
One thing I really dont give a rats **** about is following fads, fashions, styles of the day or whatever everyone else is doing just because every else is doing it.
”Live to Ride, Ride to Live” is what I do so I’m good with it.
How it should be. If you like it cool. We all have pre-conceived ideas and perceptions from our experiences and observations. I LOVED AMF. Grew up in a time when doctors and lawyers were starting to buy the EVO.. there was an attitude of haters on AMF. Dudes talking down, making up stories and being wallet elitists saying crap like “Buy a real bike”.. “If that’s all you can afford” loved blowing past those jerks with my AMF. But in my pocket of the world all those wallet warriors who couldn’t change a spark plug would buy up the bolt on chrome and Live to Ride stuff. It became something I hated and judged by as a young guy. Man it’s no reflection on you. Not saying I think anything of the sort of you or anyone. Times change, perceptions change, meanings change.

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-01-2024 at 01:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
Evo-Wes (07-02-2024), Goose_NC (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 04:39 PM
already in use
Cruiser
Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Work to ride
Ride to work

The following 10 users liked this post by already in use:
eighteight (07-02-2024), gonemad (07-01-2024), hattitude (07-02-2024), Highway Handler (07-01-2024), NorthWestern (07-01-2024), Oko (07-02-2024), Rains2much (07-01-2024), Rob Harper (07-01-2024), robo_66 (07-01-2024), WP50 (07-04-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-01-2024, 06:22 PM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,506 Likes on 798 Posts

My RK and Sportster both had excess LR/RL stuff. When I find stock parts for free/cheap I replace those items. Still a couple on each bike, but I can live and ride with them. (pun intended) The Ultra was stock when I bought it, (except a few extra chrome items and cat delete) and still is.

Old 07-02-2024, 06:12 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I have them on a ‘95 sporty that I purchased from a 90 year old man who quit riding. He bought the bike new, everything done before he picked it up new. I did not mind that he liked them and they don’t bother me. Hell, my golf cart has roses painted on it as I bought it from a neighbor women’s club champion. I don’t care what anyone thinks about my style. It has been and will always be, the view over the handlebars that matter. Everything we cherish is a fad. I’m good with that.

The following users liked this post:
Evo-Wes (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:34 AM
timmyb-is-back
Club Member
Location: Mexico, Colombia, Vietnam and the USA (Boston born and bread)
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2010 limited and it is covered with the Willie G skull theme. Some of the pieces are considered collectors items. My intake cover has the black and chrome #1 with the 103 and Willie G skull imbedded in it. It is a rare part to find. I'm currently looking for a brake reservoir cover, once found the entire bike has the skull theme. Most of my tattoos are also skulls but they are not Willie G themed. They are more commonly known as Calaberas in Mexican folklore and also considered to represent loved ones that we have lost which are celebrated on November 2 the day of the dead.
. Dude forget trend and fashion. Giving a bike, other than the stock identity it is born with from the factory, is part of the HD heritage. The moment the first crazy bastards that started stripping their single cylinder beech runners and wooden track racers all the way up to the heavy surplus era's of WWI and WWII bike culture had started. In my opinion anything goes. That's why we have bike shows and bike weeks celebrating the motorcycle lure, history and culture. Dio what you want to it or nothing at all. You are still making a statement even if you don't want to.
that's my 2Cents. Ride safe.

Old 07-02-2024, 01:15 PM
Steelernation
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got the LRRL chrome and black derby cover and air cleaner cover on my old Heritage that came with it when I bought it. I like the chrome and black. You do you and I'll do me. I've been riding for 40 + years now and have seen a lot of trends come and go.

Old 07-04-2024, 05:31 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 894 Likes on 525 Posts

Nasty-tacky fad that looked horrible then and worse now see also down below:

50’s fishtail mufflers
60’s swastikas/iron cross
70’s big #1- (this looks the best by far and still can be rocked in CERTAIN situations)
80s-90s Live to Ride Ride to live- also goes with nasty 90s tribal armband tattoos
2000s Willie G skulls

Yeah a lot did it but 10-20 years you look like a bigger douche than you did in the timeframe.

Old 07-04-2024, 10:13 AM
81shovelhd!
Tourer
Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
Nasty-tacky fad that looked horrible then and worse now see also down below:

50’s fishtail mufflers
60’s swastikas/iron cross
70’s big #1- (this looks the best by far and still can be rocked in CERTAIN situations)
80s-90s Live to Ride Ride to live- also goes with nasty 90s tribal armband tattoos
2000s Willie G skulls

Yeah a lot did it but 10-20 years you look like a bigger douche than you did in the timeframe.
Hey.....I'm with ya on the German stuff and the tribal crap!
But the fishtails.........LOVE EM!

The following users liked this post:
Germansheperd (07-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Live to ride, ride to live emblems, yes or no?