Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC88: How many miles & issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 08:59 PM
Leimy
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
Default TC88: How many miles & issues

Good Day~
My first Harley is a 2002 EGC. I finally got to buy one 5 years ago. It was used. My neighbor had it. He had it for 2 years and needed to sell it for cash due to family situation in Florida.
The bike had 78K when Scott bought it. IN 2 + years he only put 2k miles on it..... (doesn't ride much?). The bike was very well maintained. The original owner kept very good records of every oil change, tires, etc.
I bought it for $5500. Now I have 83K on it. Besides oil changes, tires and batteries, I have replaced the rear air shocks (they were leaking) and did brakes and tire. I had the rotor/stator go out at 80K.
Besides accessories, lights and quick releaase kit, engine still original. The Glow Lights were broken but I rewired all of them and got back on.
It had a PV tuner on it so I'm not messing with it. Doesn't leak, runs strong. It's my second bike now. My distance riding bike is my 2017 - 107 EGC- Ultra.

So how many miles do you have on your 88?
Besides normal maintenance, what engine work have you done?
What upgrades have you done?

The following users liked this post:
Brian Sparrow (06-30-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:21 AM
MotorSeven
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice bike. I paid $4600 for mine w/47K on it, now at 56K. Tires, suspension front/back upgraded, oil leak. It's coming up on time to check the cam chain tensioner pads again & and if they are ready, then I have to decide whether to replace or gear it.

Keep up on fluids & ride the snot out of it.

Old 06-09-2024, 09:23 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,298 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I put 200,000 one owner miles on my old 2000 EG Classic.
Did a stock compression (to save warranty) 95" kit and new cam chain tensioners at 40K.
At 100K with the warranty expired she got a bump in compression ported heads and since the cam chain tensioners were about gone again she was swapped over to S&S gear drive cams and an SE CV44 carb.
I ran her hard for 20 years,after some serious engine knock from some bad gas in California on a trip when I got home the lower end was finally done in but she got us home.
That was at 189,000 miles,she then got a new S&S stroker crank to make her a 103.
I bought a new bike in late 2019 and sold the 2000,the guy called me a year later and had just gotten home from Sturgis on it.
Of course a few things were replaced along the way,one too many potholes and the swing arm was cracked so replaced,new stator and rotor twice,brakes a few times and lots of tires. Got a bad set of new wheel bearings when the bike hit 100K and they were replaced due to age,the new both front and rear failed within 10K miles and ruined the rear wheel so that was replaced.
Several seats and windshields,a couple sets of footboards etc.
Overall it was a great bike we did many long trips on over 20 years and it never stranded us anywhere.
The last picture of the old girl,still looked pretty good for the years and miles.

The following 4 users liked this post by Y2K:
Germansheperd (06-10-2024), Highway Handler (06-11-2024), Leimy (06-10-2024), MotorSeven (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

2004 TCb on a Softail settings now with 50k on it. Still runs like new. Still has OEM cam chain tensioners. Alternator rotor spline. Brake light switches. Brake rotors. (Mostly local miles) 4 sets tires. 3 sets of brake pads.

I checked tensioners at 30k.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-09-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:39 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 937 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorSeven
Nice bike. I paid $4600 for mine w/47K on it, now at 56K. Tires, suspension front/back upgraded, oil leak. It's coming up on time to check the cam chain tensioner pads again & and if they are ready, then I have to decide whether to replace or gear it.

Keep up on fluids & ride the snot out of it.
I agree; Check the cam chain tensioners and otherwise enjoy it.

Old 06-10-2024, 06:47 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Traded my 04 88 in last year with 70-80k miles on it.

Replaced the tensioner shoes at ~50k. They were not bad, but the inner was somewhat worn.
Discovered minor inner bearing damage on one of the camshafts, so I replaced it and both inner camshaft bearings. Can't remember if I replaced the outer camshaft bearings at that time.
Loose shifter arm on the external transmission shaft at ~50k. Some minor weepage, so I pulled the primary and replaced the various seals. Did replace the oem allen head bolt on the shifter arm with a standard hex head bolt.

Other than that, oil and filters.

Any further headaches were basically of my own doing. Primary rattles a lot when you forget to torque down the compensator nut.

Old 06-10-2024, 07:03 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Cam chain tensioners should be done soon. Normally I would say wait until winter, but those are high miles. I would do lifters at the same time.

Some people put a million miles on a belt, waiting for it break and leave on the side of the road for hours, late for work, ect. I would think about that at some winter.

I opened one at 70k, the breather was mush. Wondered if some of that found its way back into the engine. I will get lots of disagreement. But I am forming the opinion 50-70k miles is the time to think about breather, lifters, pads, and belts. I give a wide range of miles, because I wouldn't do it this minute, but would think about when time and money allows.

You are not putting a lot miles on this bike either. so that effects when you do it.

Old 06-10-2024, 03:19 PM
little red around the neck area's Avatar
little red around the neck area
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

2004 Road king Custom, 56k. Upgraded the cam tensioners with the Screaming Eagle kit at 30k. Tires and fluid changes , runs great.

Old 06-10-2024, 10:35 PM
Leimy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Y2K
I put 200,000 one owner miles on my old 2000 EG Classic.
Did a stock compression (to save warranty) 95" kit and new cam chain tensioners at 40K.
At 100K with the warranty expired she got a bump in compression ported heads and since the cam chain tensioners were about gone again she was swapped over to S&S gear drive cams and an SE CV44 carb.
I ran her hard for 20 years,after some serious engine knock from some bad gas in California on a trip when I got home the lower end was finally done in but she got us home.
That was at 189,000 miles,she then got a new S&S stroker crank to make her a 103.
I bought a new bike in late 2019 and sold the 2000,the guy called me a year later and had just gotten home from Sturgis on it.
Of course a few things were replaced along the way,one too many potholes and the swing arm was cracked so replaced,new stator and rotor twice,brakes a few times and lots of tires. Got a bad set of new wheel bearings when the bike hit 100K and they were replaced due to age,the new both front and rear failed within 10K miles and ruined the rear wheel so that was replaced.
Several seats and windshields,a couple sets of footboards etc.
Overall it was a great bike we did many long trips on over 20 years and it never stranded us anywhere.
The last picture of the old girl,still looked pretty good for the years and miles.
Damm, HELL yeah ! Ride on....

Old 06-13-2024, 10:54 PM
Leimy
Tourer

Hi,
Has anyone punched out thier TC88 to a 96?
What did you do?
How easy/hard waas it?
Any 2nd thoughts after the upgrade?

Quick Reply: TC88: How many miles & issues