Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC88: How many miles & issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 07:47 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by predatornut
Just to veer off in another direction, I’ve always wanted to do overdrive on my 04 but have heard that the 88 doesn’t have the torque to handle it. Do you notice any lugging or do you just have to downshift up hills?
Originally Posted by glasspilot
What I've found is the 6th gear is only good at highway speeds, 60 and up. So you're right, the stock 88 can barely use it. Now, if I get that S&S 111.......
My 103 I wouldn't use 6th below 60 either.

I am not saying 88 is a speed demon. But people these days act like turtle to slow to leave home.

Persaonally I kinda like my 5 speed for tq and lack of shifting when doing group rides over my 6 speeds, granted it is know a 95" Which i think is great bang for the buck, cammed and non epa compliant. I toured the country on a 88".

They put 6 gears in 96", which were no great powerhouse from the factory.

Old 06-29-2024, 08:29 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 636 Likes on 426 Posts

A few months ago I installed a Baker DD6 6 speed tranny. Really happy with it.
Just to veer off in another direction, I’ve always wanted to do overdrive on my 04 but have heard that the 88 doesn’t have the torque to handle it. Do you notice any lugging or do you just have to downshift up hills?
The DD6 is Direct Drive not over drive

Old 06-29-2024, 02:13 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
My understanding is that while it is a direct drive they give you a different primary side pulley so the final drive is effectively an overdrive.

Originally Posted by Rounders
My 103 I wouldn't use 6th below 60 either.

I am not saying 88 is a speed demon. But people these days act like turtle to slow to leave home.

Persaonally I kinda like my 5 speed for tq and lack of shifting when doing group rides over my 6 speeds, granted it is know a 95" Which i think is great bang for the buck, cammed and non epa compliant. I toured the country on a 88".

They put 6 gears in 96", which were no great powerhouse from the factory.
Im no speed demon myself. I like the 5 speed just fine for back roads at 55-65. It’s just when I get on the highway at 70+ that I would like an overdrive. It’s running at 3000 or higher at those speeds. I know it’s not any kind of problem, but I think I would just be a bit more comfortable with lower rpm’s.

And the better mileage wouldn’t hurt. I get better with my car.

Old 06-29-2024, 03:31 PM
Leimy
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

My understanding is that while it is a direct drive they give you a different primary side pulley so the final drive is effectively an overdrive.

Im no speed demon myself. I like the 5 speed just fine for back roads at 55-65. It’s just when I get on the highway at 70+ that I would like an overdrive. It’s running at 3000 or higher at those speeds. I know it’s not any kind of problem, but I think I would just be a bit more comfortable with lower rpm’s.

and this thread is about how many miles???

What do you have ?
How many miles?

Old 06-29-2024, 03:32 PM
Leimy
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah, that 111 looks sweet! I plan to punch mine out to 98” when it’s time to go in. I was thinking I would drop in a six speed after that, but maybe I’ll do that before the motor work.

To answer the original question, other than regular maintenance I haven’t had to do anything that wasn’t voluntary. I painted it, changed bars and shocks.

I just noticed a couple weeks ago that my shifter shaft seal is leaking a little, so I will be digging in to that this fall.
And how many miles do you have on the TC88?

Old 06-29-2024, 05:43 PM
predatornut
Tourer

I bought it in 2014 with 55700 miles.

And sorry to hijack your thread

Old 06-29-2024, 11:23 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I've done lots of interstate riding on 5 speed, 80-100 for hours at time. Its all in your head. Sure you try to shift once in awhile, but there aint no more gears.

We shift these things to low based on how loud the pipes are When I got my 07, new and stock, I couldn't believe how much I was riding 4k and not even thinking about it, Not huge fan of early 6 speeds.

I've rode out west and IL, which are pretty much no speed limits on 5 speed. Its in our heads.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rounders:
hd4evr2008 (06-30-2024), Leimy (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 07:18 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
In a way you're both right. It's very interesting how Baker made this happen. In the DD6 the 6th gear is a direct drive. But with the kit they give you a new compensator sprocket with 3 extra teeth and a new chain. So combined, the 6th gear is now an overdrive. Gears 1 through 5 are the same ratio as my original stock 5 speed!

Old 06-30-2024, 08:53 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

In a way you're both right. It's very interesting how Baker made this happen. In the DD6 the 6th gear is a direct drive. But with the kit they give you a new compensator sprocket with 3 extra teeth and a new chain. So combined, the 6th gear is now an overdrive. Gears 1 through 5 are the same ratio as my original stock 5 speed!
That is interesting. I was happy with the 5 gears, but a 6th would be nice. I don't see myself spending money on it though

The 6 speed in my 07, is very tall. I wondered if they did it cook the books on emmissions. If you were doing 6th gear at 60 you would be very low rpms, less emmission and better mpg, but useless.

The following users liked this post:
Leimy (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 09:16 AM
predatornut
Tourer

I know there’s nothing wrong with the 5 speed and it would be a large investment to put in a 6 speed, especially for what I would get out of it.

I’m not saying I will ever actually do it, but it’s something that I’ve always thought about.

All in all though, I love this bike. Cruising back roads it is perfect.

And I have yet to find another that looks better.

The following users liked this post:
Leimy (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: TC88: How many miles & issues