Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM
chancevoughtcorsair
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS

I had the IDS installed last week. Took it on an 800 mile trip around lake Erie. My 07 RKC did not have the problems with noise that so many others have. I really didnt have any issues with the bike. Regardless I did the mod and am glad I did. The big news is 5th and 6th gears feel like theynow have no lugging and are definitely smoother. I feel I can use both 5th and 6th the way they were meant to! The IDS for me wasnt a huge huge improvement, but it was an improvement and was worth it.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: sifularson

Finally, some good, solid info, WITH PICS!!!! I like that. Thank you!

A fewquestions. Please reply when you have time away from riding . . .
1. Where did you buy the IDS?
2. Did they press the bearing in for you?
3. Looks like you did the job yourself with help. I'm a retired Cat mechinic and I do have a HD service manual. Were there any surprises doing the job?
4. On a scale of 1-10 difficulty. Where would you put it?
5. How long did it take you?

My bike has not developed the clatter that many are talking about. I may just do the IDS anyway. Seems like HD should have installed it on my 07 anyway. Since they didn't, I will.
You're asking the OP, but I'll chime in with my experiences:

1. Try www.zanottimotor.com or www.discountbiker.com. Zanotti charges about $228 with the bearing press and shipping, Discountbiker maybe a few $$ less. I hear they are $189 + 20 (press), shipping unknown, at DB.

2. Yes, for $12 (Zanotti). DB reportedly is $20 now (was originally free). This needs to be double-checked. Can anyone verify?

3. No, but be familiar with removing and re-installing the wheel.

4. The IDS install, 1/10. Removing and re-installing wheel, 5/10 (mostly a hassle factor, not so much a difficult job). An automotive floor jack helps to lower/raise the wheel from/into the wheel well. Some like having help, but I never do. It's doable alone, although a wrestling match, but it re-establishes your dominance over the bike's stubborn character. Call it a bonding experience.

5. About 1½ hours total, but plan on more if you must remove one or both mufflers (probably required for bikes with 13" shocks). I have 12½" shocks and the axle barely clears after loosening the rear mounts.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
fxesuperglide77
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

BUMP