Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:22 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS

ORIGINAL: RangeRat

There issome mild (to me anyway) drive-train clatter that'snot alarming at all (at least not as far as I know). It's likea bit of primary-chainjitter and I traditionally ignore that if it's mild. I'll try the 50 in 5th thing bulldogmoe7 and see if it's more obvious there.

One thing FOR SURE - you guys are really serious about the improvementand even if I (personally) don't hear too much noise, I sure can listen to what you're telling me you've noticed and I guess there may be an IDS in my future too. Besides,no matter the noise issue, it must surely reduce drive-line jitter and that keeps parts from breaking.
And... it reduces rider fatigue on long miles rides. The less vibration and smoother the ride, the more miles you are going to put on without fatigue setting in. Ride with some guys that have real hard rides or smaller bikes, and in the same group you maybe have some big bikes and Goldwings etc.. see who is ready to call it a day first. Smooth is good.

But the IDS isn't too smooth, you still get that nice V-twin power pulse.. it's just mellowed out a tad.

I like it.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: rlb5857

Just got back from a BBQ at the dealership for people that purchased a new bike in 2007, I once again ask the parts dept about an IDS, the parts guy didn't even know it existed. I commented in front of the group that I had bought/installed my IDS and my Ultra was a completely different bike, no rocks in the can, smoother shifting, etc. At the end of the meeting, the lead tech started asking me about the "enhancement to the 2007" and he had never heard of it also. He wanted to know what all itfixed. I told him to get one and try it, the best money I ever spent.

Maybe Harley should make it mandatory for their techs to join forums such as this and listen to other's input. I know there are probably some lurking around here and they probably learn a great deal of information for all of us. That is what forums are all about anyway, sharing information!

Put me on the list of happy campers also! Call it what you may, a fix or an enhancement, it has made my Ultra a much more pleasant ride.
I bought mine from my local dealer. The service manager was all over it about letting him know how it turned out. I was the first one they knoew of doing the "enhancement".

Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trbolvr
The service department did state that the labor on the IDS install would be $0 if I waited until October 1st. They said it it was a HD special on certain parts/installs/fixes and that the IDS was one of the "free labor" items. They said this is a nationwide special that runs from October through March.
Is there any proof of this "special" anywhere??? Anyone else hear of such a thing????

Old 09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Trbolvr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

The service department did state that the labor on the IDS install would be $0 if I waited until October 1st. They said it it was a HD special on certain parts/installs/fixes and that the IDS was one of the "free labor" items. They said this is a nationwide special that runs from October through March.
Is there any proof of this "special" anywhere??? Anyone else hear of such a thing????
I was just told to wait until October 1, then I could get the IDS installed for free. This was from the mouth of the service manager. I asked if it was for everything and anything and he said no, but that the IDS that I wanted was on the "list". I thought it might just be something up here in the northern states to drum up business during the non-riding months, but he said that it was at all dealerships. No, I do not know what is on the "list".

Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

Dalton, methinks you need to revisit your post of 9/17/07 and close it. Welcome to the IDS club.

I won't get into all the stuff that has been going around here about the MOCO, or you guys that kind of put those of us down who tried it early on. I'm glad you like the results. Your opinion means much to many people on this forum. While they may not listen to us "whiners", they might listen to YOU.

I went by my dealer and talked to my salesman today. He was very interested about what I had to say and thanked me for the heads up. He said he won't sell an 07 without it even if he has to pay for it out of his commision.

I'm glad you like the addition to your bike!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just told to wait until October 1, then I could get the IDS installed for free. This was from the mouth of the service manager. I asked if it was for everything and anything and he said no, but that the IDS that I wanted was on the "list". I thought it might just be something up here in the northern states to drum up business during the non-riding months, but he said that it was at all dealerships. No, I do not know what is on the "list".

Well I'm not worried about anything else on the list. If I can get the IDS installed for free I'm ordering one as soon as I can confirm it is a nationwide thing.

And as far as what the one guy said in either this or the other thread about buying it online and not being able to get it installed for free at your local dealer, I would have my doubts about that. If, and I do say if HD is authorizing free installs on the IDS then they are footin' the bill for the installs. The dealer isn't going to care where you got it because they are getting reimbursed for the labor no matter what.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 AM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dig it!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM
barneyz71
Advanced

Well I'm not worried about anything else on the list. If I can get the IDS installed for free I'm ordering one as soon as I can confirm it is a nationwide thing.

And as far as what the one guy said in either this or the other thread about buying it online and not being able to get it installed for free at your local dealer, I would have my doubts about that. If, and I do say if HD is authorizing free installs on the IDS then they are footin' the bill for the installs. The dealer isn't going to care where you got it because they are getting reimbursed for the labor no matter what.
Installing it yourself is free.... I would rather install it my self than to let the dealer do it (even for free) and scratch my bike or not tighten something up.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Trbolvr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: barneyz71

Installing it yourself is free.... I would rather install it my self than to let the dealer do it (even for free) and scratch my bike or not tighten something up.
That's a possibility now...Sears has motorcycle jacks on sale ($60) this week and I just went and got one for myself. I believe this is a nationwide sale.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Have to disagree with you Monster...(forgive me )

The end of year deals HD does are always centered around the purchase of a [something] kit.
You know, those brochures that you get in the mailthat sez buy a big bore95" kit and the installationfor it is 50% off orfree etc.
It's not a "recall" or anything...it's ment to bring you in and have you buy something and THEN they'll install it for a reduced price.
No dealer is going to install something for free unless you buy the part from them. They want your money one way or another ya know...

But... I've been wrong before...a lot in fact...

One thing I might add, if you are not a wrench and cannot remove the rear tire for some reason then this "install for free deal" isn't too bad at all (if its true anyway).
Take in mind you'll probably be paying 305.00 for the part, then add tax etc...
But for those of you that can wrench, buy the part online for like 218 shipped and install it yourself and save a bill...

lp

Quick Reply: ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS