Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:09 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Heck, even I'm running the IDS as of this week..not sure I needed it - but from the posts here I needed it...so what the heck, if I'm gonna go broke on a bike might as well do it right....[8D]
How about some more feedback after you get it in there celtlion.

I'minterested in hearing more fromyou guysthathad no issues to begin with but went ahead and installed for "enhancement". I just came out of 30 years of "retirement" (last bike was a shovel) andI thinkmy '07runs GREAT. However, Iwonder if I'm just not noticing noises some of y'all are.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:19 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rangerat,

I'm kinda on the same thought process as you. Maybe I just don't know what to listen for. I know I have the whine in 5th, but thats gear noise, which will be heard from a straight cut gear. More surface space=more noise. Mine really isn't very noticeable at all though. Normal riding though, I don't hear this clatter everyone is talking about and even though my RG shakes like a strip club at idle, once I the rpms come up, it smooths out and the bike rides nice.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 07RoadGlide

Rangerat,

I'm kinda on the same thought process as you. Maybe I just don't know what to listen for. I know I have the whine in 5th, but thats gear noise, which will be heard from a straight cut gear. More surface space=more noise. Mine really isn't very noticeable at all though. Normal riding though, I don't hear this clatter everyone is talking about and even though my RG shakes like a strip club at idle, once I the rpms come up, it smooths out and the bike rides nice.
what and when you will hear this clatter is in 5th gear, normally at a lower rpm. put your bike in 5th gear at 50mph and you will hear a clatter or rocks in the can sound. its not the lugging of the motor sound but i higher pitched sound.
took wife for ride last for the first time with the ids, she even noticed the differance. i put the bike in 5th gear at 40mph, she (the bike) was quiet as can be. because of all these issue (the heat, the clatter) i will never buy another 07 or for that matter an 08 unless i have endless cash to upgrade or find one that is already upgraded. but for now this bike is perfect.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RangeRat

Heck, even I'm running the IDS as of this week..not sure I needed it - but from the posts here I needed it...so what the heck, if I'm gonna go broke on a bike might as well do it right....[8D]

I'minterested in hearing more fromyou guysthathad no issues to begin with but went ahead and installed for "enhancement". I just came out of 30 years of "retirement" (last bike was a shovel) andI thinkmy '07runs GREAT. However, Iwonder if I'm just not noticing noises some of y'all are.
being my first glide i didnt know what a HD was supposed to feel/sound like.ran ok to me. BUT since installing the IDS i notice the change. WOW really nice. smoother-tighter-more responsive

Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member

ORIGINAL: RangeRat

I was like you. I didn't think my bike really had a problem. Boy was I wrong. You will be amazed at how smooth and solid the bike feels after the IDS install. Also I can now accelerate in 5th gear at 55 mph with noclatter sound and at 65 in 6th also. Mine wasn't that loud I didn't think, or I had gotten used to it,but what a smooth and quiet ride I have now. The only noise I hear now is wind in my face and purr of my pipes. Best money I've spent on the bike by far.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

...me too, count me as one of the converted. I didn't think I had much of a problem, but I could hear the "tang" "tang" "tang" at times from the tranny so I figured might as well. At first, I wasn't so impressed, but yesterday I went out for a 200 mile ride with a friend and we did every kind of back country road we have here in New England (lunch at the Vanilla Bean on Rt 44 and 169 in CT via RT 32 from Mass into Stafford Springs).

It just smooths the bike out all over the rpm curve and actually gives you more even more useable range down low. Since I had already extended my lower end by adding the pipes/AC/PCIII this now makes the bike a first class ride. (previous to these two upgrades, the Valkyrie in the garage was looking real shiny).

If you've got an 07, there are 2 things you need to do.. the stage 1, to bring down the heat and improve the power.. (especially at the lower end) ..and then this IDS. After that, chrome to taste and serve on a sunny day!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:15 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

There issome mild (to me anyway) drive-train clatter that'snot alarming at all (at least not as far as I know). It's likea bit of primary-chainjitter and I traditionally ignore that if it's mild. I'll try the 50 in 5th thing bulldogmoe7 and see if it's more obvious there.

One thing FOR SURE - you guys are really serious about the improvementand even if I (personally) don't hear too much noise, I sure can listen to what you're telling me you've noticed and I guess there may be an IDS in my future too. Besides,no matter the noise issue, it must surely reduce drive-line jitter and that keeps parts from breaking.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was fartin' around yesterday taking 6th down to 45, 5th into the 30s. Sure, it makes noise and it vibrates a little. Couldn't do it stock but with 2" Rush mufflers, the K&N air cleaner assembly, and a PC-III it works quite well. IDS would put the icing right on the cake and maybe I'll pick one up when my rear tire comes due in a few more k.

I've contended all along that my RKC probably makes more racket than many of the complainers' bikes. I guess I just don't have such high expectations. It's my first HD and nothing much about the Oriental stuff excites me in any way (maybe some of the south European stuff but that's a different kind of ride I don't feel so compelled to put to service much any more); not nearly as much as this one does. As far as I'm concerned it's a sound design implemented well and it's got oodles of soul. They are production-line machines and I've got one at or near the edge of some tolerances. It was the luck of the draw. Hopefully somebody who cares more got the one just before or after it and they're happy too.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Trbolvr
Tourer

Question, if I buy my IDS from Zanotti's should it be much of a problem to get it install at Fargo HD?

I went to Fargo HD today to see if they would come close to Zanotti's price...they wouldn't budge from the catalog price. The service department did state that the labor on the IDS install would be $0 if I waited until October 1st. They said it it was a HD special on certain parts/installs/fixes and that the IDS was one of the "free labor" items. They said this is a nationwide special that runs from October through March.

I also posted this question here: https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2238757

Old 09-22-2007, 05:18 PM
rlb5857
Cruiser

Just got back from a BBQ at the dealership for people that purchased a new bike in 2007, I once again ask the parts dept about an IDS, the parts guy didn't even know it existed. I commented in front of the group that I had bought/installed my IDS and my Ultra was a completely different bike, no rocks in the can, smoother shifting, etc. At the end of the meeting, the lead tech started asking me about the "enhancement to the 2007" and he had never heard of it also. He wanted to know what all itfixed. I told him to get one and try it, the best money I ever spent.

Maybe Harley should make it mandatory for their techs to join forums such as this and listen to other's input. I know there are probably some lurking around here and they probably learn a great deal of information for all of us. That is what forums are all about anyway, sharing information!

Put me on the list of happy campers also! Call it what you may, a fix or an enhancement, it has made my Ultra a much more pleasant ride.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER I.D.S. HAPPY CAMPER WITH PICS