Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
consultjdm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roadglide radio

Spence,

I suppose that is a much more technical question than I could ever answer - if you were asking me where the grounding point was and where the power is coming from. LOL.

JD

Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
billd76
Novice

Same problem on my 06 RG. Dealer replaced the radio once. I thought it might be an EMI issue, but I was riding into work this morning and found a straight stretch and shut the bike down, by turning the ignition switch to Accersory, the static was still there! Which would eliminate the EMI "leak". Like some of the guys have said, the static is not there with therecevier isplaying and the bike engine isoff, so I know it's not the speaker. The only speaker affected on mine is the left side. After riding about 10 miles it seems to go away (sometimes). It sounds almost like there are bolts bouncing around inside the fairing, more than a static type sound. Gets louder sometimes as the RPMS increase and also continues when I turn the radio off. The radio display keeps fading in and out as well. Might be time to put in a good sony or Kenwood Marine style receiver. It's damn frustrating and annoying! I have hog tune speakers. I'm pulling the fairing tonight when I get home, to see if there is anything obvious that may be causing it. Would take it back to the dealer, but don't want to hearafter four days "we can't seem to recreate the problem" Other than that 22k and still running good. Has to be something simple to fix this reciever issue.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
consultjdm
Intermediate

e6fmf,

Did they have to replace the electronic ignition? That sounds expensive.

I know there is some sort of coil looking thing below the ignition / accessory / fork lock ****. Is that the electronic ignition? My problem does really seem like it has to do with power generated by the bike when its running gooseing the radio.

JD

Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
consultjdm
Intermediate

Build,

Your problem sounds a lot different than mine. My display is good. the problem affects all four speakers and it doesn't get better the longer I ride in fact it seems to get worse. I have to keep turning the volume lower and lower to get to the point that it stops breaking up. Again this is in CD mode or FM mode. It can play loud again when the bike is turned off without breaking up.

I was hoping for someone to say it was the stereo or the amp. sounds like it may be more related to the bikes power/electric system now.

I will take it to the dealer a week fromSaturdaybut I was worried they would just send off the stereo and charge me and then that not fix it and they would probably say - oh your stereo was broken too, you have more than one problem and then keep changing stuff out as opposed to really knowing what was wrong. And, since it doesn't screw up till you ride it for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the volume level your at (the louder the sooner the problem starts) that they will not no they didn't fix it and I will have the problem start 10 minutes down the road. You guys know what I mean - we hate that!!! LOL.
JD

ORIGINAL: billd76

Same problem on my 06 RG. Dealer replaced the radio once. I thought it might be an EMI issue, but I was riding into work this morning and found a straight stretch and shut the bike down, by turning the ignition switch to Accersory, the static was still there! Which would eliminate the EMI "leak". Like some of the guys have said, the static is not there with therecevier isplaying and the bike engine isoff, so I know it's not the speaker. The only speaker affected on mine is the left side. After riding about 10 miles it seems to go away (sometimes). It sounds almost like there are bolts bouncing around inside the fairing, more than a static type sound. Gets louder sometimes as the RPMS increase and also continues when I turn the radio off. The radio display keeps fading in and out as well. Might be time to put in a good sony or Kenwood Marine style receiver. It's damn frustrating and annoying! I have hog tune speakers. I'm pulling the fairing tonight when I get home, to see if there is anything obvious that may be causing it. Would take it back to the dealer, but don't want to hearafter four days "we can't seem to recreate the problem" Other than that 22k and still running good. Has to be something simple to fix this reciever issue.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 PM
billd76
Novice

Okay, I've been reading about all the problems with the 8.19 radio update. So I went the the Hogh tunes site, where they have all the downloads version from 7.9 on up. Hog Tunes recommends 8.9 over 8.19. I downloaded the files, took the CD out to the bike, and all uploads went well until the screen reads DSP radio update. Then the percentage counter stays at zero and then after about 3 minutes it says "cancel, wrong CD" Anybody have any thoughts as to why. I'm going back out in a few minutes to try and download 7.9 and work up from there. I downloaded the files at 4x speed. Did it twice to two different CD's after unzipping them of course.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
billd76
Novice

One thing In forgot to mention. the left speaker noise is still there even with the reciever turned off!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
billd76
Novice

Finally got the 8.9 update to load. Got a PM from someone here that said to try burn the files at 1x. That did the trick. Will find out if there's any improvement on the way home tonight.
So burning the downloads at 1x to the CD is the trick. Wonder if that could the problem with the receiver with the 8.19? I burned those files at 4x as well, but receiver said successful. Oh well either way, hope the 8.9 did the trick.

Have a good Memorial Day everyone. Don't forget to takethe time to stop and say thank you to those that have served, are serving and will serve.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

consultjdm: The radio on your bike is from Radio Sound; HD didn't start using Harman Kardon radios until the '06 model year.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
consultjdm
Intermediate

Thank you