Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gave it up

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Stinx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave it up

Tonight I did something I swore I would never do. I sold my streetglide. This past weekend a riding buddy was hit nearly head on by a 17 year old kid who claims he fell asleep at the wheel. My buddy is looking at years, not months of rehab and sugeries if he even manages to survive. Since hearing about this and speaking with his family I couldnt even look at my bike ,let alone ride it. As it stands right know no alchol or drugs was involved, just a kid who fell asleep. words cant describe the havoc and destuction that his body took in this crash.The worst part is he just beat cancer and his bike was a major reason why, he would go out after chemo trips for short little rides just to lift his spirits. IM done babeling evryone please be careful when you ride and always expect the unexpected. From what I was told my buddie saw the kid coming at him, but had no where to go, he swerved as best he could but it wasnt enough.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gave it up

Damn brother, sorry to hear that.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
jaymcgil19
Tourer

I know how you feel. I lost a buddy who left a wife and two kids. My wife was pregnant at the time and I decided to sell my bike. That was 21 years ago and I just got my nerve back last year to start riding again. Take a break and when the time is right you may enjoy riding again some day.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You gotta do what you feel is best for you and your family. We take a risk every time we saddle up. That could be any one of us at any time, anywhere. But it is a risk we take for the love of riding. Trust me I know how you feel. I think the same way every now and then after hearing about another fatality or almost getting taken out myself. Makes we want to hang it up for good. But it is in my blood and if I die doing it I will die doing what I love.

Best of luck to you and here is wishing a speedy recovery to your bud.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My thoughts and prayers go out to all...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 PM
dix
Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope his recovery is speedy as possible.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really SORRY to here this...
I know the feeling... I lost my Best Friends\Brothers In M\C accidents 6 years ago involving a young driver and a car ... And another close friend just last month while she was on her way home on her bike and a Senior in SUV didn't see her....

My Heart & Prayers go out to all of you!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
dcountryboy
Cruiser

Thoughts and prayers to all

Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

My heartfelt symphany go out to your friend,and all who know him.
Giving up on yourriding isn't something to do long term.
For nowit maybebest for you, however you have mentioned your friend used riding to heal his soul.
The last thing he'd want you to do is to give up your passion of riding.
If we were to give up something everytime one of our friends/loved ones got hurt or died, we would have nothing to live for.Hang in there, pray and keep a positive outlook about your friend's state of health. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. All things heal with time.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 PM
capt775
Road Master

Time takes care of alot of things. Just layoff a while and see if you ever want to ride again.

Me, I'm different. My station is close to alot of major highways with intersections. Over the years I've grown so desensitized to seeing wrecked bikes and riders, that I get on my bike and ride home at the end of a shift and never think about it. Same with car wrecks too. Other wize I'd do alot of walking.

But I do know where your coming from, and I feel for you and your friend, I hope he fully recovers and you find your answer without alot of heart wrenching.

Quick Reply: Gave it up