Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gave it up

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Gave it up

Words fail to comfort at a time like this, but I lost a good friend from "rider error", his own. I had to identify the body for his wife, not something I'd care to do again. I too sold my bike, for reasons I'm sure you understand. At the funeral I was asked to say a few words, and all I could remember was my friend getting on me for owning a "crap" motorcycle and being too cheap to buy a Harley. As I looked up, everyone was laughing - that was Ed, he loved his Harley and didn't take kindly to any other bike, no matter how good a friend you were. His wife offered me his bike, but I couldn't get on it - too tough to take and too many memories.

Within a few months, as the weather got better, I missed the bike, but more importantly I missed my friend. Then it dawned on me - if I got back on the bike and lived every moment as if it were my last, I'd be living just as he did, and I'd be enjoying living again, instead of passing each day in fear of what chould happen.

Fact is, I've lost friends in car accidents, from disease, and from Vietnam. The result is always the same - a deep sense of loss. The difference is that now I refuse to let their death pass in vein - I honor them best by living my life to the fullest. In the end, we all die - it's more important to me now how I live.

Take care brother, and we're all here for you.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
VicDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost one of my best friends last year and another good friend who did most of the engine mods on my 98 FLHT so I know where you are coming from. About a year or so prior to thatI was following my brother-in-law and sister on thier dresser when this dip $**t ran a stop sign and they t-boned the car ... nothing else they could have done. All I saw was bodies and motorcycle parts flying and then the Dip $**t starts heading my way as she is trying to get away and I had to lay my bike down to avoid her. By the grace of God my sis was OK, there was an ambulance in the area "practicing" if you can believe it and guy a couple of vehicles behind us was an EMT (my sis is a nurse as well). My broter-in-law ended up in the hospital with a concussion and some broken bones, had to have a rod inserted in his arm. Not a month after he left the hospital he went out and bought another bike, no one thought he would ever ride again ... he started back slowly as he was rehabbing his arm and was very weak, but now he's back riding full time. I asked him why he would get back on he said it was his passion and what lifted his spirit in life. He said "If i had been in a car accident and was badly injured would you expect me to give up driving"? Anyway, his inspiration is why I still ride at 60 years of age .... it's may passion, it's in my blood. God Bless you buddy and may he hold you both on his warm enbrace.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

That is really horrible to hear. Hope your friend makes a full recovery. You have to do what feels right for you, but you are in danger no matter what you do in life. Heck, you could have a massive heart attack in your recliner watching football. You have to make the decision if "what could happen" is going to paralyze what you want to happen. Like others have said, take a little time off the scoot. Give yourself some time to get over the emotions. If you choose to not ride anymore there is nothing wrong with that either. Good luck in what ever your choice is.

Sim

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
ELGOLD
Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your friend. From time to time we are reminded of the possible reprecussions that can arise from riding a motorcyle and I'm sure most of us get a pit in the stomach since we know it can happen to anyone of us. However, these things happen just as people get injured in car accidents, on bicycles and even pedestrian accidents. Within the past couple of weeks there have been some major occurences such as 6 people getting killed during a wedding celebration in British Columbia. They were enjoying an outdoor wedding service when a pickup truck lost control on the street and plowed into the crowd. A couple of months ago a truck and car impacted at an intersection in Toronto sending the car into a bus shelter and killing a young mother and her child waiting for a bus. These are extremely unfortunate circumstances but I believe that as humans we must continue with our lives because otherwise people just as well should stop walking on the streets. These events should not deter us from living out our lives and especially denying ourselves from doing what we enjoy.
I truly hope that your friend recovers and that you may find the courage to ride again someday when the time is right. Our fears shall not rule our lives and destiny. Stay strong and I hope this will all be behind you some day soon brother.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Stinx
Intermediate

Capt Im a PO so I have seen alot of bad wrecks, cars and bikes but for some reason this one really bothered me. I guess it was because his riding style and mine are so much alike. A few years ago we responded to a similiar crash only the guy did not make it.It sucks beacuse I still love Harley;s but now more then ever I hate the majority of the cage driving public if that makes sense.THer kis that hit him probabliy int even a bad kid, just a person who made a mistake. but his mistake has become a life altering event for my buddy and family,

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Words escape me because I have nothing to compare to what you are feeling now. I will however say a prayer for your friend and for you.

God bless!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Hinge
Advanced

My heart hurts for your buddy. We all walk that line everyday no matter what we do....it always takes a piece away when it is close to home

Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sypathetic to your buddies plight and your decision to sell the bike.
But we take a risk everyday just getting out of bed.
Anything and everything we do could lead to our demise.
Choke on breakfast, whatever.
For the Christians out there, don't remember vers, chapter or book and loosely paraphrased: who amongst us can add so much as one hair to our head, let alone add one more day to our life? No not one of us.
So ride free rie safe and life to ride another day.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peace be with you and the families involved. I have a friend that lost a leg on a bike. When he heard that I got a bike he asked for a ride. It took him 7 years to get back on he had the biggest grin on his face. By the way the only man I would let on the back.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

Sorry to hear of your friends bad accident. In 1976 I was taken out by a trucker. I spent 2.5 years in-patient, 1 year out-patient, and I am still disabled with issues on an everyday basis. Your friend at this point has too much to deal with when speaking of riding or not riding. He will need your support during his long recovery. If he beat cancer he will beat this bump in life. If he is a down to the bone biker as I was and am he will one day start talking about riding again (it got him through cancer treatments). At that point I hope he is well enough to ride a bike again, if he wants to. If not, he will have to settle for something less like I did. I found a trike that I can drive and I ride it evey chance I get. In life, the things that you like to do make the journey more pleasurable. If you are like me you are going to get a sore neck looking at all the Harley-Davidsons going by, until you get back on one. Until then, do as you must to make this part of the journey bearable. I am wishing your friend a speedy and successful recovery.

Quick Reply: Gave it up