Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WILD 1 CHUBBYS W0575 handlebars on an 05 Ultra???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Ezglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WILD 1 CHUBBYS W0575 handlebars on an 05 Ultra???

>>> It is easy to conceal the extra line in the fairing. <<<

Thats what I was worried about. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: oldschool

No bother at all. Yes I did 4" on the throttle cables to. You might get away with 2" with not a problem but 3" would be safer. It is easy to conceal the extra line in the fairing. You can't even tell the throttle cables have 4" + on my bike. The 4" on the clutch cable was the right call. And 4"+ on the brake line was perfect. Anything less on the brake and you might not reach the fitting underneath the triple tree. The 2 way brake line fitting will be in the same place as the stock one. Let me know if you need more help..ED

Old 02-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Ezglide
Advanced

I just wanted to say thanks again for your help, it took awhile with christmas and all, but I finally got the cables orderd and my bike is back together, I went with +4" black barnetts cables and very carfully reshaped the stock steel brake line, that was a pita but saved some coin doing it.

ORIGINAL: oldschool

No bother at all. Yes I did 4" on the throttle cables to. You might get away with 2" with not a problem but 3" would be safer. It is easy to conceal the extra line in the fairing. You can't even tell the throttle cables have 4" + on my bike. The 4" on the clutch cable was the right call. And 4"+ on the brake line was perfect. Anything less on the brake and you might not reach the fitting underneath the triple tree. The 2 way brake line fitting will be in the same place as the stock one. Let me know if you need more help..ED

Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

been reading this post for some time... I installed my wild1's last year - fun learning exp-lol- anyway,,, I really do not see why the inner had to be cut,,, mine fit just fine - however, I was not at your house so I take your word on that...

as far as removing the plug to install the wires in the bars... actually, after you figure it out - it really is very simple - I could walk you through it over the phone and as far as fishing the wires throught the bars - again very simple - I just installed a Cruise on my bike and again - took the plug apart and installed the new right side controls - this time the getting the wires though was a little tuffer (two more wires in the bundle) but very workable..

for anyone taking on these "fun" jobs - buy a service manual - the wiring diagrams in the back have all the colored coded wires and the correct placment for them... for those of you that have had the pug in your hand - you will notice the plug/wiring holes are all numbered --

Old 02-01-2006, 11:40 PM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it all together. I finally got to those wires of mine in the bar. You know I got that universal pin puller to work after all. Sure does look much cleaner without the wires. Ride Safe...Ed

Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 AM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm installing a set of Chubby's WO575 handelbars and +4" Barnett Platinum cables on my Street Glide this weekend. For those who have done this, do I have to raise the tank in order to swap out the throttle and idle cables? The shop manual says yes, but I'm wondering if it can be done without having to do this. The manual makes it sound as though raising the tank is this great big project, and I'd rather avoid having to do it if possible. Shortcuts frequently exist even though they are not mentioned in the shop manual. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Doug

Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
DWB4L
Stage III

I went with cyclesmiths 13"ape's had to replace all cables so I went braided very sharp.So if don't mind your hands above the fairing about 2" and the fairing mirrors still work.Everybody that looks at the bike with those bars are surprised it looks good w/ape's.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 PM
lazzer
Advanced

show a pic of those cyclesmith bars

Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did mine and although I haven't ridden it, I really like the feel in the shop. I changed the brake line, the clutch cable is next and so far the throttle cables seem to be okay, so I'm going to dress them up with some chrome clips and adjuster covers.
I had the inner fairing out so, I removed the bars and the clamp, bolted the clamp, bars and all to my work bench and worked on it there. No worries about dropping anything and scratching the tank and I was able to flip them all the way forward to fish the wires out the bottom while not having to hold on to them. For me it worked out real good and I enjoyed the whole experience.
Take your time and it is very doable. Is that a word?
Name:  100_2065.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  47.0 KB

Old 03-03-2006, 10:37 PM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: UGGA

I'm installing a set of Chubby's WO575 handelbars and +4" Barnett Platinum cables on my Street Glide this weekend. For those who have done this, do I have to raise the tank in order to swap out the throttle and idle cables? The shop manual says yes, but I'm wondering if it can be done without having to do this. The manual makes it sound as though raising the tank is this great big project, and I'd rather avoid having to do it if possible. Shortcuts frequently exist even though they are not mentioned in the shop manual. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Doug
Doug, its really not a big deal taking the tank off. I did mine that way. It made me get to know the bike a little better. Mine is a fuelie and I had to drain the tank from the crossover. Thats pretty much the only big deal you'll have. Use a big towel to cover the engine and frame from a little fuel spill. Once you pull the crossover hose fuel comes out quick. Its not much but if you not ready for it then its a little messy. Disconnecting the line from the tank you got to be careful of also. Even though you drain the fuel you'll still have fuel left in the tank so have a rag handy. Good luck

Old 03-04-2006, 12:35 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Olds School,

Thanks for your post. Actually, I spent all day working on the bike yesterday. I swapped out the throttle and idle cables as well as the clutch cable. Turns out that I was easily able to do the throttle / idle cables without having to raise the tank. I just had to pull the air cleaner assembly. As for the clutch cable, well that was a different story - big job but it came out great. Gotta go now - my bike is in pieces and I'd like to finish the handlebar swap today. Thanks again for your help Old School!

Doug