Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 05:46 AM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It might work in a small motor but with a big motor and bigger starter, it will shut down mid compression, cause the coil to spark and kill the starter.. You'll end up stranded. Maybe bring a small charger with you and find a plug to reset..

Since you guy are talking baggers, IMO the best bet is a good AGM and cables.
This is very possible, but think about this, those small battery jumper devices use a small lithium battery, and would crank over a large 3L high compression Diesel engine (I have) no problem. Also, lithium batteries have a higher voltage than lead and they deliver more power in short burst than Pb, but yes I agree they suck at capacity! lol so for a big engine, your engine should in good working order instead of needing to be cranked a while before starting.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:17 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

One of the things I had to do when I switched to lithium in my RV was change out the charger in the main panel. The original one was not rated to charge at the higher capacity that lithium requires and would only get it to about an 80% state of charge. I haven’t looked into it, but is the charging system on the bikes able to output enough to charge a lithium battery or would you need to supplement it with a lithium rated trickle charger?

Old 02-14-2024, 07:31 AM
jimglassford
Tourer
Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Batteries are a chemical reaction. The load or charging capability dictates the rate of reaction. The amp/hour or CCA rating of the battery is at maximum.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,776 Likes on 2,364 Posts

Originally Posted by pingman68
One of the things I had to do when I switched to lithium in my RV was change out the charger in the main panel. The original one was not rated to charge at the higher capacity that lithium requires and would only get it to about an 80% state of charge. I haven’t looked into it, but is the charging system on the bikes able to output enough to charge a lithium battery or would you need to supplement it with a lithium rated trickle charger?
Two guys that have posted in this thread have used lithium 4+ years without mentioning that they did anything special. I've also read where some don't even use a tender.

Last edited by 702; 02-14-2024 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 08:17 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,909 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
This is very possible, but think about this, those small battery jumper devices use a small lithium battery, and would crank over a large 3L high compression Diesel engine (I have) no problem. Also, lithium batteries have a higher voltage than lead and they deliver more power in short burst than Pb, but yes I agree they suck at capacity! lol so for a big engine, your engine should in good working order instead of needing to be cranked a while before starting.
The good thing about the lithium jumper packs is that they don't have the same protection circuitry as the Noco.. The previous battery in the bike was a twin power LI battery. It lasted 4 years, twice that of any AGM, but was getting a little weak on first starts on a cool morning. It would have been replaced with another TP but they were impossibly to find. Bike would start fine with a fresh AGm. It has a Shorai in it now. No issues.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:19 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,625 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
Two guys that have posted in this thread have used lithium 4+ years without mentioning that they did anything special. I've also read where some don't even use a tender.
The lithium battery on my Sporty keeps a full charge as I ride it regularly. The charging system is rated at a dinky 30 amps. I also have the security system on it and have gone a couple months w/o riding and the bike fires right up. I think the baggers have a 50 amp charging system, at least my '13 King does, so it should be no issue getting juice to the battery to recharge just like on the wet batteries.

One thing on the lithium batteries is they hold a charge much longer than the wet batteries, unless you have some parasitic drainers like security systems or something.

Not sure on the other lithium batteries, but the Antigravity has a Restart feature where the battery "sleeps" when it senses a low charge to give you enough juice to start the bike.

Last edited by RKZen; 02-14-2024 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add'l
Old 02-14-2024, 08:22 AM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The good thing about the lithium jumper packs is that they don't have the same protection circuitry as the Noco.. The previous battery in the bike was a twin power LI battery. It lasted 4 years, twice that of any AGM, but was getting a little weak on first starts on a cool morning. It would have been replaced with another TP but they were impossibly to find. Bike would start fine with a fresh AGm. It has a Shorai in it now. No issues.
Shori is one of the best

Old 02-14-2024, 08:25 AM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pingman68
Yes, the regulator output on a bike is about 13.8 to 14.5V. Good enough for lithium on the bike. For a "battery tender" however you need a lithium one as the voltage is higher as well as some weird charge characteristic of lithium. But when on the bike, it also has a built in charge control which works with the constant DC out put of the bikes regulator.

The following users liked this post:
pingman68 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 08:26 AM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RKZen
The lithium battery on my Sporty keeps a full charge as I ride it regularly. The charging system is rated at a dinky 30 amps. I also have the security system on it and have gone a couple months w/o riding and the bike fires right up. I think the baggers have a 50 amp charging system, at least my '13 King does, so it should be no issue getting juice to the battery to recharge just like on the wet batteries.

One thing on the lithium batteries is they hold a charge much longer than the wet batteries, unless you have some parasitic drainers like security systems or something.

Not sure on the other lithium batteries, but the Antigravity has a Restart feature where the battery "sleeps" when it senses a low charge to give you enough juice to start the bike.
That antigravity restart feature didnt work on my buddies car . Had to roll start lol

Old 02-14-2024, 08:46 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen

Stator output , maxi fuse or main breaker have nothing to do with this.
Originally Posted by paulmedford
Yes, the regulator output on a bike is about 13.8 to 14.5V. Good enough for lithium on the bike. For a "battery tender" however you need a lithium one as the voltage is higher as well as some weird charge characteristic of lithium. But when on the bike, it also has a built in charge control which works with the constant DC out put of the bikes regulator.
ONe claim I heard is since the bikes runs at 14.4 it will charge lithium. But a traditional charge will not take to full charge, but if riding it a bit you will be ok

I have never heard about not needing tender, it is not touted as one of the advantage.

As price of agm goes up gap closes. At this moment for my situation, I'll stick with Harley agm. Small motor, I get 7 years in my climate, and cheaper. I don't care about 20 pounds on 800 pound bike.

My new 103 without compression releases may have me thinking about someday

Not saying I would never buy one

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike