Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 02:00 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
Lithium Polymer (LiPo) fires are class D fires. Molten metal. You can't smother or extinguish them with water. A Class D dry powder extinguisher is needed to put out a LiPo fire, and most extinguishers are only rated at Class A B C.

Even if ICE vehicles were more likely to catch fire, BEV cannot be put out once it catches. They are exponentially more dangerous. Personally, I don't see the advantage at this time, putting that battery in my bike and risking my shop.
This is very true, Lipo fires are crazy!!!, but there are LiFePo4 motorcycle batteries that are not the same as Lipo and are much much safer.

The following 2 users liked this post by paulmedford:
NoRegerts (02-12-2024), Old New Rider (02-18-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:05 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,941 Likes on 4,697 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
This is very true, Lipo fires are crazy!!!, but there are LiFePo4 motorcycle batteries that are not the same as Lipo and are much much safer.
I did not know the Lithium Iron Phosphate made it to the motorcycle scene. When I search for Li batteries, I get LiPo from Revzilla popping up first thing. I am always learning new things!

Old 02-12-2024, 02:11 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,139 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
What percentage of ICE vehicles catch fire? What percentage of EV catch fire?
You could Google it. Someone put up a link last year.

EV 25 per,100k, gas 1530 per 100k, and hybrid 3475.

Not sure why hybrids higher.

Statistically speaking low, unless it is your car. There might be truth about how hard it is to put out battery fires. But car fires don't normally go well.

For me they are not worth price in a heavy vehicle. But I don't have a big motor. Again I am curious how long they last on heat. Which is hard on batteries

Old 02-12-2024, 02:17 PM
lowbar
Cruiser
Received 188 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
For those asking about the weight difference -

The X2 from Batteries + is listed at 4.4 pounds, a Duracell from Batteries + is listed as 22.25 pounds, and the Big Crank is listed at 21.5 pounds.
I've had the same debate in my head regarding AGM vs Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries and I don't claim to be knowledgeable on the subject. One thought came to me recently. Harley brags about doing many different things to lower the 2024 Road Glide by16# and the Street Glide by 18#. Why wouldn't they go to a Lithium battery and with one easy, cost-effective change double that weight loss? There must be a reason.

"The 2024 Street Glide is 18 pounds lighter than the 2023 Street Glide Special, enhancing all aspects of riding performance, including acceleration and braking."

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:22 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,695 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbar
I've had the same debate in my head regarding AGM vs Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries and I don't claim to be knowledgeable on the subject. One thought came to me recently. Harley brags about doing many different things to lower the 2024 Road Glide by16# and the Street Glide by 18#. Why wouldn't they go to a Lithium battery and with one easy, cost-effective change double that weight loss? There must be a reason.

"The 2024 Street Glide is 18 pounds lighter than the 2023 Street Glide Special, enhancing all aspects of riding performance, including acceleration and braking."
Harley is a lot like us old people - slow to adopt new technology.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:41 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,092 Likes on 7,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jimglassford
I can pull up a ton of videos of ICE vehicles catching fire. Per vehicle, the chance of an ICE vehicle catching fire is 3 times higher than a BEV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHJlBHONvw
Yes ICE vehicles catch fire, and as stated there are more of them. How many ICE vehicles catch fire from a battery short verses fuel leak? Many variables if you want to what if it.

However, we are talking lithium batteries here and I only brought up the fire issue because of another' member post on his garage fire.

There have been garage fires because of gasoline and even battery tenders shorting out and catching flammable items on fire.

It is always prudent to make sure you garage and any item using fuel, batteries and chargers are in an orderly fashion and not a lot of trash clutter around.

Now back to the discussion on lithium batteries, their use, weight, function while in cold environments and endurance in heat environments.

paulmedford (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:59 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,139 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Maybe not cost effective. Harley is cheap about a $2 seal, when they sell thousands it adds up

The weight they tout may be simple design change,and may not have been goal of design change.

paulmedford (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:07 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

LiFePO4 is 3 times the cost of AGM

Old 02-12-2024, 03:09 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Yes ICE vehicles catch fire, and as stated there are more of them. How many ICE vehicles catch fire from a battery short verses fuel leak? Many variables if you want to what if it.

However, we are talking lithium batteries here and I only brought up the fire issue because of another' member post on his garage fire.

There have been garage fires because of gasoline and even battery tenders shorting out and catching flammable items on fire.

It is always prudent to make sure you garage and any item using fuel, batteries and chargers are in an orderly fashion and not a lot of trash clutter around.

Now back to the discussion on lithium batteries, their use, weight, function while in cold environments and endurance in heat environments.
Very true that you should have a safe environment with batteries regardless. it would avoid a lot of fire damage

Old 02-12-2024, 08:43 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,695 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Lots of good info here. Thanks for helping with facts without too much bullshit.

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike