Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 03:50 PM
danny54
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I love my noco harley battery, Lead acid batterys are like tube tvs, There is no comparison

The following 3 users liked this post by danny54:
bklynbob (05-22-2024), FranBunnyFFXII (05-25-2024), grinner (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:41 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,776 Likes on 2,364 Posts

To follow up with my dispute with Batteries Plus, credit card dispute initiated. Today the battery store turd told me they would not refund since I brought in a used battery that only registered 4 volts.

****ing duh! It failed within a month, LOL!

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 12:14 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Well this has been an interesting and helpful thread.
I damaged my AGM battery which actually has survived quite a lot of cold and long term sitting since my bike was basically unridden for 4~5 months after the accident.
It cranked right up at the dealership but I know the terminals are damaged and it's safer to replace than trust it.
I decided to finally buy a replacement and what do you know, Revzilla's ****in shipping is trash once again and the battery was poorly packed and the battery case was split open. Great, brand new battery compromised. That wont be going in my bike at all.
What a waste. Cant you people even TRY to ship things safely? This is why I canceled my RPM subscription you twits.
So for whatever it's worth, I decided to take a look at the NOCO Lithium battery that fits my bike again and came across this thread.
I think I'll be ordering a NOCO NLP20.
Dropping 12lbs off the bike, and having more real world capacity and voltage stability than an AGM seems like a great idea. Let me know If I'm about to make a big mistake.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:39 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 339 Likes on 268 Posts

Idk much about NOCO batteries, 702 had a bad experience with X2 from Batteries Plus.

My VERY expensive USA-made EarthX LiPo4 battery has performed very well for me so far. I've had it a couple of months. I'm seeing these type of batteries are more sensitive to quality of manufacture, so maybe beware the foreign made cheap junk.

Power density is especially important to us softail riders because we have a smaller battery size for the same size engines in the larger touring bikes.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:46 AM
Scootrskum
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone tried the Optima Orange Top lithium battery?

Old 05-25-2024, 08:49 AM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 694 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Well this has been an interesting and helpful thread.
I damaged my AGM battery which actually has survived quite a lot of cold and long term sitting since my bike was basically unridden for 4~5 months after the accident.
It cranked right up at the dealership but I know the terminals are damaged and it's safer to replace than trust it.
I decided to finally buy a replacement and what do you know, Revzilla's ****in shipping is trash once again and the battery was poorly packed and the battery case was split open. Great, brand new battery compromised. That wont be going in my bike at all.
What a waste. Cant you people even TRY to ship things safely? This is why I canceled my RPM subscription you twits.
So for whatever it's worth, I decided to take a look at the NOCO Lithium battery that fits my bike again and came across this thread.
I think I'll be ordering a NOCO NLP20.
Dropping 12lbs off the bike, and having more real world capacity and voltage stability than an AGM seems like a great idea. Let me know If I'm about to make a big mistake.
Go to the dealer, buy a battery, done.
If there ever is a problem they will look after you.

Old 05-26-2024, 09:42 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

NOCO NLP30 for me. You won't believe how light it is. You can set the battery into the bike / lift the battery out by simply pinching it between your thumb and middle finger. Fits perfectly in the bike. Terminals are exactly where they need to be for the ECU tray to fit over them. Battery is happy being charged by the bike. When I hook mine up to the NOCO Genius 2 after a ride, it goes green after only a few minutes. I've experienced that enough times that I don't even bother doing it anymore. The battery stays charged just fine without being on a charger / tender.

Today I installed something that required removing the battery. In the AGM days, that would have been a pain. Not anymore. Removing the battery now is as easy as any other step in the process.

I carry a NOCO GBX 45 Boost box if I'm going to be gone overnight, just in case. That device also has USB charging, so it's helpful as an emergency power source as well as a jump starter. In addition to the alligator clips (which I carry to help another motorist, if needed) I installed the NOCO GBC007 18.5" boost pigtail directly to the battery. I use this for charging and for a potential jump from the Boost box. I've needed none of these precautionary devices yet. The battery has worked flawlessly. Highly recommend.

Old 05-26-2024, 11:37 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Backed out of buying the NOCO Battery. I see too many reports of lacking reliability, and failures in a year or 2.
I'm going to look else where.
A fellow forum user pointed me towards a battery from Speecell.
These look like a better idea, just a lot more expensive.

Old 05-27-2024, 01:08 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,152 Likes on 3,349 Posts

If I had to buy one today, and did not have such excellent luck with my X2, I would be looking at the Optima or even the new Advanblack

I have been a long time buyer of the Optima AGMs, I trust the brand.

Just brought my bike out of hibernation for year 4 on my X2, cranked the 128 up super fast as always. I sure do like the lithium!

The following users liked this post:
FranBunnyFFXII (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 01:43 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
If I had to buy one today, and did not have such excellent luck with my X2, I would be looking at the Optima or even the new Advanblack

I have been a long time buyer of the Optima AGMs, I trust the brand.

Just brought my bike out of hibernation for year 4 on my X2, cranked the 128 up super fast as always. I sure do like the lithium!
I just checked Advanblack because I know their brand name, but sadly they don't make a Lithium battery for Softails.
But Optmia does: https://www.optimabatteries.com/prod...angetop-quad20
I'll put this on my list. This is a reasonable price.
This comes with a Charger? I think this may be the best suggestion I've gotten yet. Thank you North.

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike