Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 11:06 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,776 Likes on 2,364 Posts

Ugh.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:30 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
I just read on a battery distributor site (1) it's true bike agm's don't last as long as car & truck agm's, (2) the principle reason is the bike's charging alternator isn't as large and isn't sufficient at idle rpm to charge (don't shoot me if you disagree, just a messenger).
Not only do I "disagree," but your claim is simply wrong. If your voltmeter displays a voltage of 13+ volts, your battery is charging. The charging system in my street glide is more than sufficient even at idle to charge the battery, even with the radio blasting and the heated grips on. If yours isn't, you need to troubleshoot it.

Batteries don't last as long in motorcycles because they are physically undersized compared to car batteries. I had a car with a battery that was too small for the engine it had and its battery never lasted more than about 3 years. If there was room and I could have installed an appropriately sized battery, it would have lasted a long time. The original batteries in my diesel truck lasted 13 years before they finally were too weak to start it, because there are two huge batteries.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-16-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 12:52 PM
Grand HDF Member

The Batteries Plus website is pretty wonky. The battery I ordered online and picked up last week isn't for my Heritage, but it is for my Street Glide so I kept it. I just went to the local store and picked up the correct one for my Heritage. For anyone interested, this is it ---

Old 04-14-2024, 02:35 PM
Traildale
Tourer
Received 237 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103
This information is contrary to that put out by most manufacturers. I'd be interested to know your personal experience with lithium batteries in motorcycles.
My motorcycle lithium battery experience: 1) Original HD touring lithium in a street glide 3 yrs ago - dead after 9 months. Replaced with the new model lithium about 2 yrs ago. I never use a tender on a lithium battery and only charge the battery out of the bike if necessary while the bike is in storage for 6 mo. 2) Original HD lithium in a Sportster for the last two years - same storage and charging scenario. 3) Non HD lithium in a Dyna for 18 months - saw on line that they were no longer recommending these for use in a Harley, so replaced it with AGM, and have been using the lithium in a Can Am SxS that only sees occasional use. Again same storage and charging scenario. The touring battery has gone dead - like 2.6 volts twice when transport mode was not used - and required a special charger at the dealer to bring it back to life.
I also have lithium/solar systems in two campers. Im only using Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePo batteries, and never Lithium Ion batteries (which are more energy dense, but can have “thermal runaway”)

I am fine with Lithium house batteries for the campers - that is their best use. But I’m going back to AGM for starting batteries. Between the temperature extremes of storing bikes and batteries in Arizona and Minnesota, its a hassle, and not worth the risk for me.

Quick Google search found this:Do not charge lithium ion batteries below 32°F/0°C. In other words, never charge a lithium ion battery that is below freezing.

Doing so even once will result in a sudden, severe, and permanent capacity loss on the order of several dozen percent or more, as well a similar and also permanent increase in internal resistance. This damage occurs after just one isolated 'cold charging' event, and is proportional to the speed at which the cell is charged.

But, even more importantly, a lithium ion cell that has been cold charged is NOT safe and must be safely recycled or otherwise discarded. By not safe, I mean it will work fine until it randomly explodes due to mechanical vibration, mechanical shock, or just reaching a high enough state of charge.

The bottom line is that your safety is entirely dependent on the BMS - battery management system - doing its job to prevent battery damage. If the manufacturer whet cheap on the BMS electronics, you will never know, until its too late.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:17 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,152 Likes on 3,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Traildale
Its not that the battery wont output below freezing - it will just fine. Its trying to charge it below freezing that causes it to become a flame thrower. So a lithium battery will start your bike jist fine when its 25 degrees F. But as soon as the stator starts throwing a charge into the frozen battery, things can go sideways.
Well lucky me, I have had no issues when starting and riding at that temp.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:31 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

@Traildale Thank you for taking the time to write all that - very informative! My comment was more towards your comment that lithium batteries will put out below freezing. It's often 20 - 30°F in the winter here and AGM batteries have a hard enough time starting my bike after it's sat outside work for 12 hours. I have been focusing on the inability of Lithium tech to put out amps at low temps (according the the manufacturers), but if they get damaged being charged below freezing, it 100% means it's no good for winter use because the bike starts charging as soon as the engine starts.

My motorcycle lithium battery experience: 1) Original HD touring lithium in a street glide 3 yrs ago - dead after 9 months. Replaced with the new model lithium about 2 yrs ago. I never use a tender on a lithium battery and only charge the battery out of the bike if necessary while the bike is in storage for 6 mo. 2) Original HD lithium in a Sportster for the last two years - same storage and charging scenario. 3) Non HD lithium in a Dyna for 18 months - saw on line that they were no longer recommending these for use in a Harley, so replaced it with AGM, and have been using the lithium in a Can Am SxS that only sees occasional use. Again same storage and charging scenario. The touring battery has gone dead - like 2.6 volts twice when transport mode was not used - and required a special charger at the dealer to bring it back to life.
I also have lithium/solar systems in two campers. Im only using Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePo batteries, and never Lithium Ion batteries (which are more energy dense, but can have “thermal runaway”)

I am fine with Lithium house batteries for the campers - that is their best use. But I’m going back to AGM for starting batteries. Between the temperature extremes of storing bikes and batteries in Arizona and Minnesota, its a hassle, and not worth the risk for me.

Quick Google search found this:Do not charge lithium ion batteries below 32°F/0°C. In other words, never charge a lithium ion battery that is below freezing.

Doing so even once will result in a sudden, severe, and permanent capacity loss on the order of several dozen percent or more, as well a similar and also permanent increase in internal resistance. This damage occurs after just one isolated 'cold charging' event, and is proportional to the speed at which the cell is charged.

But, even more importantly, a lithium ion cell that has been cold charged is NOT safe and must be safely recycled or otherwise discarded. By not safe, I mean it will work fine until it randomly explodes due to mechanical vibration, mechanical shock, or just reaching a high enough state of charge.

The bottom line is that your safety is entirely dependent on the BMS - battery management system - doing its job to prevent battery damage. If the manufacturer whet cheap on the BMS electronics, you will never know, until its too late.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:18 AM
Grand HDF Member

saw on line that they were no longer recommending these for use in a Harley,
Can you please share the source for this information?

I find this odd since HD sells them for HD motorcycles.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:18 PM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 541 Likes on 287 Posts

Ok, Bike batteries are NOT lithium ion -Li-ion, they are Lithium iron phosphate - LiFePO4

Old 04-19-2024, 08:25 AM
chrisflhtc
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have read this whole thread and am considering the NOCO Lithium NLP20, Group 20, 600A Lithium LiFePO4 Motorcycle Battery, 12V 7Ah. Will this fit my 1989 FLHTC I am seeing conflicting size measurements.According to a picture of the box a reviewer sent in it looks like it will.

TIA
C

Old 04-28-2024, 12:48 PM
Cheiron
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NOCO website has all of the dimensional data.

https://no.co/nlp20

The following users liked this post:
grinner (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike