Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 08:09 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 339 Likes on 268 Posts
Old 02-21-2024, 08:28 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,776 Likes on 2,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
They're proud.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:29 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,152 Likes on 3,349 Posts

Do you ever NOT overthink everything?

The following users liked this post:
702 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:37 PM
bson
HDF Community Team
Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
I went with HD because it fits the battery box, doesn't need adapters to make the cables fit, has internal cell balancing and I can take it to the dealer for warranty issues.
Those are all good points, and given the anti-gravity restart feature isn't recommended on my 114 I might do exactly the same...

Old 02-21-2024, 08:55 PM
bson
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by PCboiler
They can be taken all the way down, and recharged without harm
Some can, but certainly not all. You'd think this is such a key product feature, that if a battery is okay with it the mfg would print it on the box and in all marketing collateral - in bold 48pt blinking comic sans!!!

Old 02-21-2024, 09:10 PM
bson
HDF Community Team

What I do not know, and why I'm watching here, is why an AGM battery does not last as long in a motorcycle as in a car or truck. I don't get it. AGM lasts 5-7 years in automotive, only 3-5 max. in motorcycles. Why?
Motorcycles are often left parked for months on end. AGM and other SLAs self-discharge (in addition to the small load from the bike), and when they get low their lifespan significantly shortens. AGM batteries in particular suffer from sulfation. Do it a few times and it's time for a new battery. (Desulfation cycles of tenders seem to help a bit, but I view it more as getting you back on the road for the time being... Plus they take a lot of time.) The same happens in cars BTW if you leave them parked for extended periods. I hadn't used mine in maybe four months and hadn't noticed that a neighbor unplugged the tender. Battery would start the car but was pretty much shot, desulfation over a few weeks helped a bit, but in the end I needed a new battery. (I just thought I'd try the NOCO auto desulfation.) If you think a H-D battery, even a Li one, is expensive, just wait until you see the bill for an Audi...

Old New Rider (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 10:00 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Do you ever NOT overthink everything?

lol

Not when there's a billion choices and vendors on the interweb. Life was a lot simpler 20 years ago. I'm not accustomed to throwing darts and bitching about where they landed. I make good decisions. Once.

If I had your guy's touring models, I'd have been done long ago. Since I have a shoe-horn softail, not so much.

NorthWestern (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 10:11 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,776 Likes on 2,364 Posts

lol

Not when there's a billion choices and vendors on the interweb. Life was a lot simpler 20 years ago. I'm not accustomed to throwing darts and bitching about where they landed. I make good decisions. Once.

If I had your guy's touring models, I'd have been done long ago. Since I have a shoe-horn softail, not so much.
Which one would you choose for a touring model?

Old 02-22-2024, 10:12 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by bson
Motorcycles are often left parked for months on end. AGM and other SLAs self-discharge (in addition to the small load from the bike), and when they get low their lifespan significantly shortens. AGM batteries in particular suffer from sulfation. Do it a few times and it's time for a new battery. (Desulfation cycles of tenders seem to help a bit, but I view it more as getting you back on the road for the time being... Plus they take a lot of time.) The same happens in cars BTW if you leave them parked for extended periods. I hadn't used mine in maybe four months and hadn't noticed that a neighbor unplugged the tender. Battery would start the car but was pretty much shot, desulfation over a few weeks helped a bit, but in the end I needed a new battery. (I just thought I'd try the NOCO auto desulfation.) If you think a H-D battery, even a Li one, is expensive, just wait until you see the bill for an Audi...
Yup. Since retiring & pandemic, a lot of us don't drive much. Compared to 50 miles a day when I worked. For decades.
I put a top of the line Odyssey AGM in my truck because AGM's weren't supposed to discharge as fast as flooded wet cell when sitting, even on parasitic 'sleep' mode devices like the key fob finder pinger. **** - within a week my charge was down significantly. So I have it on a C-Tek charger/maintainer all the time now.

What good is an AGM over a flooded if you have to leave it on a charger? Why not just a good quality, old time flooded cell? Back when life was normal, none of this was a puzzle. You bought a wet cell every 4-5 years didn't need any chargers, didn't need any research. No interwebs, no discussions, no billion websites.

Twenty some years ago when AGM came out for consumers, guys put them on boats. That was it. Then small powersports vehicles. But they didn't have sleep mode electronic gizmos, either.

Again, frustrated. I'm buying one battery. Not half a dozen to test.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:38 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,909 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
You had me there for a minute. I read your first paragraph 3x trying to figure out what language you were speaking, then I read the rest of it. Ha!

I think my amps contribute to the death of my 30L batts also. I dunno. But I'm smarter today about this stuff than when I started this thread, so thanks for your input.
I have a 107ci 07 egc TC and the 17 107ci RK M8. They both have the same battery. For some reason the TC has always cranked over faster than the M8.. Starter motors are different..

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike