Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 08:49 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 331 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
Shori is one of the best
I looked @ Shori website tonight, says batteries made in China. That's a no go for me.

I'm following this thread @ suggestion of a member in Softail Heritage Thread, this maybe should be in M8 Engine Thread? Anyway, my factory battery getting weak, not enough CCA for me. Learning here like OP.

Thx

Old 02-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 479 Likes on 278 Posts

@Old New Rider

The cells of any of these batteries will most likely be made in China. The battery may be assembled in the USA. The Harley brand battery is made in China.

The Antigravity rep on another forum said their batteries with restart are made in China. The non-restart batteries are made in the USA with cells from China. This was a post from 2018.

Antigravity advertises internal cell balancing. No balanced charging port like Shorai.

Last edited by Rusty Springs; 02-18-2024 at 09:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rusty Springs:
Max Headflow (02-18-2024), Old New Rider (02-19-2024), Ultra103 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:47 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
@Old New Rider

The cells of any of these batteries will most likely be made in China. The battery may be assembled in the USA. The Harley brand battery is made in China.

The Antigravity rep on another forum said their batteries with restart are made in China. The non-restart batteries are made in the USA with cells from China. This was a post from 2018.

Antigravity advertises internal cell balancing. No balanced charging port like Shorai.
Thank you. Did you consider any of the other big names in batteries for Lithium like X2 (Enersys) or NOCO? I wonder why their prices are lower, both big name brands of high quality?

Any idea why Harley Lithium batteries had quality issues at first? They all fixed now?

Old 02-19-2024, 09:18 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,652 Likes on 3,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Thank you. Did you consider any of the other big names in batteries for Lithium like X2 (Enersys) or NOCO? I wonder why their prices are lower, both big name brands of high quality?

Any idea why Harley Lithium batteries had quality issues at first? They all fixed now?

Don't use the Noco if you have a big motor and starter. It will shut down on you and require external voltage to bring back..

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Don't use the Noco if you have a big motor and starter. It will shut down on you and require external voltage to bring back..
Personal experience, I take it?

I don't get why any LiFePO4 battery in the same size would differ. I'm seeing they all have the BPS circuitry - tho apparently not all have internal balanced charging. Otherwise the specs are near identical for the same BCI class size.

Seeing as the guts are all made in China, it's all about how the OEM assembler enforces quality standards at their Chinese source plant(s), to the extent they can. When I worked for Cummins, it was a nonstop battle. They couldn't even pour castings of common materials consistently.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:21 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,106 Posts

I like the idea of a lithium battery, but I have never done one because there's just no way of knowing if the brands are legitimate and which ones are any good. The H-D one is not cost effective, but there are many others on the market in the $150 range that I would use if I knew that they were good quality and backed by a decent brand. Until then I've been using an AGM in both of mine and keeping it on a tender while I recover from my knee surgery. Before that I rode both of my bikes so regularly that I didn't even need to do that.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:08 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by downzero
I like the idea of a lithium battery, but I have never done one because there's just no way of knowing if the brands are legitimate and which ones are any good. The H-D one is not cost effective, but there are many others on the market in the $150 range that I would use if I knew that they were good quality and backed by a decent brand. Until then I've been using an AGM in both of mine and keeping it on a tender while I recover from my knee surgery. Before that I rode both of my bikes so regularly that I didn't even need to do that.
It shouldn't be this difficult to determine what's what. But in the interweb age, we're confronted with thousands of choices of brands and vendors without sufficient information to select any.

Some of the reviews of HD brand were terrible, and fairly recent. Who knows if the buyers treated them right (charge 1st with a lith charger before use)? It's still not comforting.

Look how long it took AGM info to finally come out so we know what brands are better. I bet that took 20 years of user reviews to figure out from the marketer flacks.

Hence, these Forums popping up.

P.S. - get that knee in shape for riding season! Got mine replaced some years back.

Last edited by Old New Rider; 02-19-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:55 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,586 Likes on 2,298 Posts
The following 5 users liked this post by 702:
bson (02-21-2024), downzero (02-19-2024), hattitude (02-19-2024), Max Headflow (02-19-2024), RKZen (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:50 PM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 190 Posts

Took me some time to read through, but don't like to reply without seeing all the posts...
I put the HD LiFePo battery in several years ago (wanted the Batteries+ for lower $$, but didn't want to wait). Mine is the smaller battery with the box filler...
LiFePo batteries are not the fire hazard some claim... just sayin'.

They do struggle in the cold. Real world, I ride early spring/late fall in temps down into 20's. While bike outside (while at work), and temps don't rise, starting is troublesome.
The instructions are to allow it to "wake-up" with the key on... LED lights all around don't draw much power to do this. And who wants to sit for 3 minutes or so doing nothing in the cold...
Cycling the starter will get it there, but you see an affect. The volt meter will drop way down and electronics go funky. And it will take several tries to get it to crank over. For me being a cold weather rider, I'm not sure I like this.
LiFePo have very slow discharge rates and a flat power curve, so you have plenty of power until the battery is discharged. They can be taken all the way down, and recharged without harm vs. an AGM (more of an RV thing, but still relevant). During winter storage, I will use a Battery Tender with an Li switch, but not needed otherwise because of this power curve and slow discharge.
The LiFePo's are phenomenal for our RV's, but also, mine have a self-contained heated system to not allow them to go dormant due to below freezing temps. For these RV systems, they will function below freezing, but shouldn't be charged if not heated. I've often thought about this for my cycle battery, but figure once motor is running, heat from engine helps.
As far as heat, this is not a problem from my research. Folks are using in Death Valley for weeks on end in their RV's...

All that said, I hope this adds to the thoughts 702...

Ride on,
pcboiler

The following 2 users liked this post by PCboiler:
702 (02-19-2024), Old New Rider (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 04:25 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 479 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider

I didn't look into the Noco or X2 batteries very far. I figured they had to be cheaper for a reason, so I moved on after reading a few negative comments about the Noco.

I read about the Harley batteries having problems. I don't know what the deal was or if it's been fixed. Time will tell.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rusty Springs:
bson (02-21-2024), Old New Rider (02-19-2024), paulmedford (02-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike