Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 12:29 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,695 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Agreed.... but I suspect in some cases the quality, efficiency and level of control of the BMS (battery management system) could be the reason for the more expensive batteries....
I'm sure it's for the guy that needs a WiFi refrigerator so he can tell if he's out of broccoli from anywhere in the world. 🤣

The following 4 users liked this post by 702:
bson (02-21-2024), hattitude (02-15-2024), Highway Handler (02-15-2024), Max Headflow (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:49 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,090 Likes on 7,378 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Agreed.... but I suspect in some cases the quality, efficiency and level of control of the BMS (battery management system) could be the reason for the more expensive batteries....
Originally Posted by 702
I'm sure it's for the guy that needs a WiFi refrigerator so he can tell if he's out of broccoli from anywhere in the world. 🤣
Well my new truck does not have a lithium battery, just an AGM battery. However, the computer systems are always sending over the air stuff to my phone app. It (the BMS) will shut down certain systems, limit remote actions, shed battery usage systems and or shut everything down to conserve the battery. Each module in the truck reports to the ECM & BCM when the truck is off.

Bunch of voodoo nanny stuff if you ask me but that is what all the new stuff has.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (02-15-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 06:50 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,296 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
. If they come out soon for my 24 I'll get one and give my OE AGM to wife
they are already out. your 24 uses the same battery that hd has been using since 1997,

Old 02-16-2024, 11:01 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,599 Likes on 1,137 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
That antigravity restart feature didnt work on my buddies car . Had to roll start lol
A buddy has one and it fired his bike right up. A car might be a bit different as sometimes cars take a few seconds before they turn over. The restart feature is a burst for about 2 - 3 seconds.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:09 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
Stator output , maxi fuse or main breaker have nothing to do with this.
I mentioned charging system not just the stator. Of course everyone knows the charging system mainly consists of the stator/alternator, regulator, and battery.

Last edited by RKZen; 02-16-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:57 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 502 Likes on 290 Posts

I bought a HD Lithium today. It's for a Dyna but still relevant to the conversation. It said to fully charge to 13.4 volts before installing. It came out of the box at 13.24 volts and is on the charger now. I went with HD because it fits the battery box, doesn't need adapters to make the cables fit, has internal cell balancing and I can take it to the dealer for warranty issues.

I almost went with the Shorai but I didn't like the idea of the terminal adapters, and it doesn't have internal cell balancing. I don't think cell balancing is a big deal in this application but you have to buy the Shorai charger if it's a concern. Shorai has a plug on the side that allows their charger to charge each cell individually. The battery has to he removed to do this.

Antigravity was tempting but the restart feature scared me. They don't recommend the restart battery for 103 and larger engines. That tells me the circuit may be problematic. They recommend their heavy duty battery, without restart, for these applications. It might be a good battery but is too expensive for me.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:22 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,988 Likes on 4,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs

Antigravity was tempting but the restart feature scared me. They don't recommend the restart battery for 103 and larger engines. That tells me the circuit may be problematic. They recommend their heavy duty battery, without restart, for these applications. It might be a good battery but is too expensive for me.

I considered going Lithium when I put the 124" crate engine in my bagger....

I noticed that Antigravity didn't recommend the restart battery for larger displacement engines... I knew of at least one person with a 124" with an Antigravity Re-Start battery that was having no issues, and he had higher compression than me... he loved the way the Lithium battery spun over the engine...

I sent an email to Antigravity, and this is their response on why they don't recommend the re-start battery on larger displacement engines..

"Hello Bernie,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Those 103 ci and larger engines create a very high current draw, so they can trigger the Restart feature of the ATX30-RS.
In other words, the battery itself can handle that engine just fine, but its Restart parameters for the "sleep mode" are not set up for that kind of a draw.
Kind of like how some cars could easily reach 160 mph but are electronically limited to 140 mph.

For your bike we recommend the ATX30-HD. It doesn't come with the Restart feature, but still offers full BMS and all the protections, while packing even more cranking power and a higher capacity. This battery allows for a higher draw those engine create.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,
Sonny"

Last edited by hattitude; 02-16-2024 at 10:24 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by hattitude:
bson (02-21-2024), Goose_NC (02-17-2024), Max Headflow (02-17-2024), RKZen (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 09:01 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

If Antigravity recommends the better battery, I suspect the other brands are not immune to the same recommendation.

But then we all buy something within our budgets and everything seems to work out fine.

Last edited by RKZen; 02-17-2024 at 09:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (02-17-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:26 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Devices including starters only pull what they need. If it’s a 1,5kw starter and the voltage is 12volts then 1,500/12.= 125 amps. That’s why CCA specs are bull ****. I’d rather have higher Ah capacity.
I partially disagree on this one. You're looking at lab specs. This is assuming a perfectly charged battery, short large gauge cables, perfect connections and a specific temperature. Add a less than 100% state of charge, cold engine, wear on components, this number can go up drastically, especially on that initial crank. I've seen 200a rated starters hit almost 400a on that first, initial turn on a cold day with a bit of wear on everything. Also, as your state of charge goes down (our batteries are very rarely at 100%, especially as they age), their voltage goes down, which increases the amount of current the starting system needs to draw to start the bike. (I=V/R) with I being current for those without an electrical background.

Your ah spec is great when it's parked and has loads drawing on the battery, but for most of us, we don't have high loads with the engine off. We need as many amps as we can get with plenty in reserve for those times when conditions are less than perfect.

This is why I use and recommend the highest CCA batteries that fit properly and that you can afford. My customers generally find they end up with much longer lasting batteries and easier starting this way.

The following 2 users liked this post by LazySundays:
Goose_NC (02-20-2024), Max Headflow (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:21 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 333 Likes on 262 Posts

Does anyone know if Antigravity has balanced charging? I would think so but read a comment above not all lithium makers do?

Edit - never mind...30L HD series for FLHC is near $1,000. No way.

Last edited by Old New Rider; 02-18-2024 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery/Starter in Touring Bike