Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0151 - Engineer Sputtering ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 11:52 AM
alixc83
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by im
you state:
Bike is a 2017 Street Glide

Engine sputtering.
Took bike in for 40K service...Guessing bike has 40K miles.

Never had any issues before, guessing that perhaps you have owned bike since new or for several years?
What are the changes on bike from factory stock?
Only battery was slightly degraded.....No idea what that means.
Holds charge up 14V......How was this tested?

You took bike and they did 4k service...4K or 40K service?
What exactly has been serviced on bike?
*From a distance... a major guess based on the limited information is that problem is fuel related.
Perhaps the fuel filter in the tank, a fuel line in tank has a pin hole or a piece of tank liner is blocking fuel suction.
What exactly has been serviced on bike?
yes, it was is regular 40K service, however engine sputtering started just 2-3 days before I took it in.
Yes, I owned it all along.
When bike is running battery indicated goes to 16V but when cold it hover around 13-14... when battery was new it was holding good. Also while I start I goes to 10 or lower side. It has been like that for whole 2023 ... In winter it got LITTLE BAD.
Yes 4k was typo.
it was general 40k Service, and told me that they cold not see engine sputtering, code were historic so they cleared it. While come back to home with in 3 mile. It started doing the same.

The code they have been point to is p0151, on Harley website I found this: P0151 158 02 sensor low/engine lean (rear) HO2S DIAGNOSTICS
but they went ahead changed ECM, (I feel I trusted them too much)

I hope I clarified ...

Old 12-15-2023, 11:55 AM
alixc83
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NCPiper
I am a simple man, I would have cleaned and reseated the O2 connector and then replaced the O2 sensor if needed.
@NCPiper I agree, I was asking the same when main culprit was P0151 158 02 sensor low/engine lean (rear) HO2S DIAGNOSTICS
Why they did not look at the fuel injector. While I was leaving yesterday. They said that they are looking at the fuel injector. Just 15 min ago I got the text that it's ready. So It seem it was Fuel injector all along.
And they slapped my with ECM change (part + labor)

Old 12-15-2023, 12:09 PM
alixc83
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hattitude
That line speaks volumes to me...

If the bike is "firing a lot of codes" may lead you to suspect a bad ECM. BUT THEN, you check the ECM to verify if it is bad or not....

Sure sounds like they made a bad guess, that cost you $700+......

If they just "thought" the ECM was damaged because of all the codes, and changing it out didn't fix the problem, you ought to ask them to put the old ECM back in. Then give you your money back on the new one, including all labor, since it was an obviously unnecessary, unneeded repair....

At the very least, I would ask for the "damaged" ECM? After all, it is still your property... they don't get to keep it, just because they replaced it, if you want it back... I'd love to hear their reason for not returning it to you...

Is there another dealer or good independent shop nearby.....?

I wouldn't have left my bike there. I'd be taking my bike to another shop. If all has happened as you say, and not just a misunderstandings between you & the dealer, I would have no faith in their service department's diagnostic abilities...

Sorry for your troubles, but we have all been there at one time or another.... keep us posted...
@hattitude Just know your reply is much appreciated. I felt very alone in this situation. It is Harley dealership. So trust came with the brand. I guess this is the time that they had to work for it and they did sloppy job. In all honesty I don't trust them at all. I just got texted that. It is ready to pick up. When I left yesterday. They were working on fuel injector. And I feel it is safe to assume that it was the issue. since they are saying it ready to pickup.
You are right, I should have not left it there but they already slapped me $700 at least they should fix whatever it is. that's why I left it there.

I am also feeling that ECM (part + labor) was slapped on me. They did not tell me how they decided to come to conclusion that ECM is bad.

They keep telling me all those code were being fired but now only one code p0151 ... but P0151 was in the list of historic code. I know how bike behave when there isn't enough fuel is going into combustion chamber or it is not getting burnt properly.
I know nothing about Harleys but I would not just change most expensive part + labor.
I will be heading there after lunch. then I am going to sit down with Service manager and discuss.

Unfortunately there is no other dealship in Austin. Nearest one in San Antonio, hour an half away.
But I would looking at local trust worthy shops after this debacle.
I will update the thread after my visit there.

Last edited by alixc83; 12-15-2023 at 12:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hattitude (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:39 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,262 Likes on 4,437 Posts

There are some really squared away dealers out there.... unfortunately, they seem to be fading fast...

There is a big difference between a true mechanic/tech who understands the systems, what they do, and how they work together. They are a far cry better than someone who just plugs a bike into a computer and does what the computer tells them to do...

True trouble shooting, or diagnosing a problem, is another skill set that seems to be fading away......

It used to be that some of the best Harley mechanics were in at dealerships.... Now it seems they are far more abundant in the Independent shops....

I can't count how many times I've been in a dealership service department and not seen someone old enough to have seen a shovel head, let alone know how to work on one... There are certainly damn few dealerships that will touch an EVO engine, let alone anything older...

I don't mean to say you can't be a good tech if you've never worked on a shovel, or pan, or knuckle, etc... But those are the guys who taught me how to work on bikes. That was back in time before computers and DTCs. You had to figure out what was wrong on your own. With the new systems, I'm still learn something new on a regular basis.

I'm just a garage hack that maintains & repairs my own bikes. I don't work on bikes for a living... Yet some of those that currently do work on bikes for a living, mystify me at times with their ignorance...

Anyways, keep us posted...

Last edited by hattitude; 12-15-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Goose_NC (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,002 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Who told you about 14 volts? Batteries are 100% charged at 12.8.

Now they still need a CCA check after that. Cranking and it not dropping below 9.7 is a crude check on a stock motor.

You need to find another service center. I think they think they have the next car payment with you.

I would check fuel pressure if they did a full 40K service. Has the fuel filter ever been replaced?

PS. Welcome for sure to a new member. Only as a suggestion, make a post over in the new member welcome area to say hello.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-15-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:27 PM
mike131
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 413 Posts

Sounds like to me some young tech is working on it and doesn't know what he is doing, I'm a master auto tech 30 years, I have very few ECM's that go bad in the automotive world at least, and if they have to use a flow chart to diagnose tells me they don't know much. I can count the number of times I've had to look at one of those charts to diagnose a problem on one hand in 30 plus years

hattitude (12-15-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 12:34 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by alixc83
@hattitude Just know your reply is much appreciated. I felt very alone in this situation. It is Harley dealership. So trust came with the brand. I guess this is the time that they had to work for it and they did sloppy job. In all honesty I don't trust them at all. I just got texted that. It is ready to pick up. When I left yesterday. They were working on fuel injector. And I feel it is safe to assume that it was the issue. since they are saying it ready to pickup.
You are right, I should have not left it there but they already slapped me $700 at least they should fix whatever it is. that's why I left it there.

I am also feeling that ECM (part + labor) was slapped on me. They did not tell me how they decided to come to conclusion that ECM is bad.

They keep telling me all those code were being fired but now only one code p0151 ... but P0151 was in the list of historic code. I know how bike behave when there isn't enough fuel is going into combustion chamber or it is not getting burnt properly.
I know nothing about Harleys but I would not just change most expensive part + labor.
I will be heading there after lunch. then I am going to sit down with Service manager and discuss.

Unfortunately there is no other dealship in Austin. Nearest one in San Antonio, hour an half away.
But I would looking at local trust worthy shops after this debacle.
I will update the thread after my visit there.
Your best bet at getting your old ECM reinstalled/ $700 returned, is sticking with this dealership and trying to reason with 1st: the service manager and 2nd: on up the chain to the GM and not going to a different dealership as advised here. Just be quietly persistent and don't get emotional because you will loose your objectivity and it will work against you. Let the dealership staff know you will be happy to pay for the actual part/ labor that was causing the sputtering and that you believe the ECM was not the culprit because it was sputtering AFTER the ECM was replaced...and just keep escalating it. Good luck...

Highway Handler (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 07:05 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 114 Posts

Customer Service MILWAUKEE (414) 343-4056 1-800-258-2464

Give them a call. They will get the dealer straightened out.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:05 PM
NCPiper
Tourer

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

We'll see.......

Originally Posted by alixc83
So It seem it was Fuel injector all along.