Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotter rear cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007 | 04:15 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Hotter rear cylinder

ORIGINAL: mcdowell25

If you offset the cylinders then you won't have the shake at idle that most of us love about the touring line. Think about it you currently have to big arsch heads that are directly in line with each other that causes the motor to vibrate as each head moves up/down.

That's part of the mystic.

Mike
.....ahhh...what was that jibberish?..heads goin "up and down"?...if my heads were bouncin up and down I think I would be a little freaked out...and off-set 45degree cylinders wouldn't vibrate???[:-][:-][:-]..and what are "arsch" heads..sumptin new from S&S maybe?...

Old 08-27-2007 | 04:26 PM
EGinBlue
Novice

Moto Guzzi does it by mounting the motor with the crank shaft parrallel to the frame back bone; ie the jugs stick out on either side of the frame below the gas tank. Both cylinders get equal amount of air to cool with.

Old 08-27-2007 | 06:27 PM
brewdog
Road Captain

Bezoar,

Good point. Couple things. Above this reply someone asked about Victory and Motoguzzi.

Different designs.

Victory - Engine sits further forward in the frame than harley in the touring models. This space helps create a void between the engine heat and the rider. If you think Victory's don't get hot, ride one and reach down and grab the head. The second and most important to me is that the cross over isn't an additional pipe in the rear of the engine below the rider. The exhaustcross over on a victory is located where the pipe almost meet under the floor boards. On the harley Ultra, the cross over, and the left exhaust make ittwice as hot as other brands.

Motoguzzi - Engine is a 90 degree, not inline with the engine perpendicular to the frame. The heads get damn hot on them. They are also further forward from the riders legsand poke outside the gas tank. The exhaust pipes are directed out the front of the motorcycle and down under the floor boards of theframe. Similar to the old Triumph. The cross over was located beneath the frame on some models or infront of the engine where the two pipes extend and go downward.

No doubt there is something to be learned, butI still don't think its a show stopper and should be easily remedied. On my 2006 Ultra, I did a 2 into 1 SE pipe, removed the stock exhaust and put a fueler box on it. No more heat. I didn't liquid cool the rear jug or put a fan on it, I just had the cross-over removed and had the engine running richer.

Same goes for the 08's. In these days of quiet exhausts and EPA, we are going to be forced to keep stock exhausts and you hear every day, someone from the MOCO selling this new concept of quiet is better. To each his own. Some Shielding and/or repiping ofthecross-overwould do it. They make the cross-over much larger in diameter than they need to be. In my opinion, they aren't a pressure relief system, they only therehelp balance the backpressure for optimum tuning and effiency. Relocation or change in cross-sectional shape would do it. They don't have to be round either.

Just my opinion and I don't claim to be an expert in this.