Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch chirp

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:03 AM
LIVINtheLIFE
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
Just ride, something chirps in my primary area particularly in the turns and twisties grabbing gears or dropping gears.

I will read this forum, then ride and for a while, I hear all sorts of ‘noises’, then I remember I am on a machine.

Many would be horrified if they sat near the engine and front suspension on their cars and trucks the noises they would experience.

Until the thing stops running or starts to making obnoxious banging or screeching noises, it’s a machine doing what machines do.

Ride it!
To an extent I do this with a lot of things. But not everything falls under this category. The “turn the radio up” or “f*** it” mentality applies to a lot of things but it should be diagnosed and prioritized. A possible clutch or primary issue that when/if it fails suddenly and has potential to cause damage to other components isn’t one of those things IMO.

Not saying there is even anything to worry about but it’s worth diagnosing. It’s not “normal” to hear certain things, even on machines that make noises to operate. Preventive maintenance will always be better then reactive maintenance.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:08 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Has the belt tension been checked lately? Heard many a belt chirp, HD and others, when the belt is just a little too loose. Easy check/fix.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:09 AM
LIVINtheLIFE
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The stock clutch has a spring damper that I believe is to stop the chirp. Has the clutch been changed and that taken out?
Bike is bone stock. I bought it from an older fella I know that was original owner and kept all service receipts. Other then regular services the only thing I’m aware of that’s been done to it is the recall on the primary vent and the “plate fix” or whatever it was called the oil transfer issue from the transmission was.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:33 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Has the belt tension been checked lately? Heard many a belt chirp, HD and others, when the belt is just a little too loose. Easy check/fix.
I had a bike 2+ decades back (non-HD) and belt would chirp if rear wheel/axle was not seated/aligned properly. Hopefully its something simple as such not necessitating huge teardowns.

Old 11-18-2023, 10:39 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,298 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by LIVINtheLIFE
I guess I’m just referring to the grab, it seems to grab harder then a cable, more sudden? .
This will improve quite a bit over stock which was my main reason for doing it,I have the Muller and there's a much more stable friction zone.
The stock clutch slave felt like it was just on or off with a sudden grab,the new Muller is much smoother.

Old 11-18-2023, 10:44 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
I had a bike 2+ decades back (non-HD) and belt would chirp if rear wheel/axle was not seated/aligned properly. Hopefully its something simple as such not necessitating huge teardowns.
Exactly my experience and was hoping for a quick/easy fix for the OP as well........