Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound from intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 07:07 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Default strange sound from intake

Hey guys,
My buddy last week had an issue with his 2018 Ultra Classic and took the bike to his local dealer. They replaced a lifter and the cam as the lifter had scored it. assorted gaskets and such as well. He rode it home, about 15 miles, and when he shut it down, he heard a strange noise that he described to me as "a weak bagpipe losing its air|, lol, It only happens when the bike is warmed up. I can wrench on my own bike, but ive never heard this sound before...
Thoughts? see the vid and listen for the noise at the end....
Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0.MOV (2.56 MB, 87 views)
Old 11-10-2023, 07:11 PM
PeterB
Road Captain
Received 844 Likes on 378 Posts

Take it back to the dealer that did the work. Once you start messing with it yourself, you have no comeback.
Could be as simple as engine breather wheeze. Are the hoses all connected back up? Or it could be something else. Head gasket would more likely make noise under power.

The following 2 users liked this post by PeterB:
DeeRoe (11-11-2023), ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 07:51 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

Originally Posted by PeterB
Take it back to the dealer that did the work. Once you start messing with it yourself, you have no comeback.
Could be as simple as engine breather wheeze. Are the hoses all connected back up? Or it could be something else. Head gasket would more likely make noise under power.
Definitely... He called me about an hour ago as I was writing this and was at the dealer already. So far, no answers yet.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:49 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 483 Posts

Hopefully the dealer figures it out and fixes it. With something like this it is important to notice if the noise stops at the same time the engine stops rotating (a mechanical noise) or if it continues briefly after rotation has completely stopped, likely pressure bleeding off from somewhere. It could even be some sheet metal vibrating briefly after the engine stops

The following users liked this post:
ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 09:18 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

It continues after the engine has stopped moving. i was thinking a pressure relief thing too... I just got another call from him... HD tech says its a normal noise... LOL. Seriously? i'm waiting for his response to that decision.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:09 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 215 Posts

It’s crankcase vacuum releasing after shutting down. Normal.

The following 3 users liked this post by RG Pilot:
Chasingdrakes (03-27-2024), DeeRoe (11-11-2023), ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:04 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

Originally Posted by RG Pilot
It’s crankcase vacuum releasing after shutting down. Normal.
OK, I have to admit I'm not all that good with the M8's... but my buddy told me that it did not make that sound before the valve and cam were replaced. They did upgrade the cam to a SE cam of some type.

Mongo1958 (03-24-2024)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:43 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 1,583 Posts

There is a thread about this somewhere. It's normal, mine does it as well. After you shut the bike down, it becomes the Sad-Glide...

My bike has a cam too... maybe the valve overlap something.

Last edited by lp; 11-11-2023 at 12:44 PM.
ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,699 Likes on 3,891 Posts

When you shut the motor off the throttle valve closed since there isn't any synchro power.. With the motor coming up on compression on one cylinder, it fails to make it over TDC and rotates backwards. That causes intake valve to open and pressure causes the throttle blade to vibrate making a bagpipe sound. I doubt it a breather as the sound has to travel down a passage and the throttle valve is closer to the intake and has a bigger hole to make the sound. My 17 RK does it occasionally. It's nothing to worry about.

The following 3 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Chasingdrakes (03-27-2024), Philiasfog (03-23-2024), ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:42 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
When you shut the motor off the throttle valve closed since there isn't any synchro power.. With the motor coming up on compression on one cylinder, it fails to make it over TDC and rotates backwards. That causes intake valve to open and pressure causes the throttle blade to vibrate making a bagpipe sound. I doubt it a breather as the sound has to travel down a passage and the throttle valve is closer to the intake and has a bigger hole to make the sound. My 17 RK does it occasionally. It's nothing to worry about.
Could be the pressure leakage going past the rings on a partial compression stroke when shutting down. One time on a former Harley, I went to check the oil right after shutting down and a there was a big suction release when I removed the dip stick cap. Only happened once, but maybe I’ve never checked it so soon after shutting down. The breather passages in the intake do create a vacuum in the crankcase, provided there’s not a lot of blow by.

ronbeejer (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: strange sound from intake