Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound from intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 02:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,909 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by RG Pilot
Could be the pressure leakage going past the rings on a partial compression stroke when shutting down. One time on a former Harley, I went to check the oil right after shutting down and a there was a big suction release when I removed the dip stick cap. Only happened once, but maybe I’ve never checked it so soon after shutting down. The breather passages in the intake do create a vacuum in the crankcase, provided there’s not a lot of blow by.
IMO, I doubt that.. I've there will typically be any kind vacuum in the crankcase if the motor tops anywhere besides where the pistons are close to bottom of the cylinders.. What is the mechanism for the squeak?? I doubt it's the rings. How are you going to hear it?

The following users liked this post:
ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 03:12 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
IMO, I doubt that.. I've there will typically be any kind vacuum in the crankcase if the motor tops anywhere besides where the pistons are close to bottom of the cylinders.. What is the mechanism for the squeak?? I doubt it's the rings. How are you going to hear it?
The only thing that I can think of that could make a squeaking noise is the umbrella valves up top. I know that a reed valve will make a weird noise at times and that’s basically what an umbrella valve is; a one way valve. I was referring to a hissing noise regarding pressure going past the rings. Open the oil cap and bump the starter quickly….it’ll be there.

Edit: I missed that there was a video file of the noise…just listened to it. I’m going with umbrella valves letting crankcase pressure out.

Last edited by RG Pilot; 11-11-2023 at 03:19 PM.
ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 04:24 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 847 Likes on 320 Posts

So here’s a weird addition……my 22 RKS did it all the time on shutdown. I added an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner, and got a PV3 from FuelMoto. Did their tune and an autotune……now it doesn’t do it anymore. Hoodaf#ck knows…….

ronbeejer (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 11:12 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you, guys... I'll be passing all this info to my buddy. We live 5 hours apart so it's hard for me to see and hear exactly what's going on... but the suggestions your guys have come up with are much appreciated. I think he needs to get on this site as well, lol.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:31 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 869 Likes on 519 Posts

My 2022 did that initially for first 8000 miles than it stopped. I consider it normal. I agree pressure going out from somewhere. While I have no idea where it came from exactly my guess was it might be pressure escaping heads if valve is slightly open or he's mentioned earlier umbrella valve maybe. Tell your buddy not to stress about it.

ronbeejer (11-13-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 11:00 PM
Traildale
Tourer
Received 237 Likes on 115 Posts

My stock 2021Road Glide makes the same wheezing noise when shut down. The bagpipe description is the best I’ve heard. It sounds like two different pitches - like you dropped an accordion on the floor and the air wheezed out for two seconds. I do have the breather dipstick.

The following 2 users liked this post by Traildale:
Philiasfog (03-23-2024), ronbeejer (11-13-2023)
Old 03-23-2024, 03:17 PM
Philiasfog
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeeRoe
So here’s a weird addition……my 22 RKS did it all the time on shutdown. I added an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner, and got a PV3 from FuelMoto. Did their tune and an autotune……now it doesn’t do it anymore. Hoodaf#ck knows…….
I have 2020 SG Cvo with not even 3500 miles yet and mine does this… sounds like Whoo…as something spooling down. Dealership said normal and will happen often and noise is out of high flow air intake. I believe he’s right.

ronbeejer (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 08:39 PM
Mongo1958
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbeejer
OK, I have to admit I'm not all that good with the M8's... but my buddy told me that it did not make that sound before the valve and cam were replaced. They did upgrade the cam to a SE cam of some type.
Try this, Just as your are about the turn off the bike, unscrew the oil did stick to equalize the pressure and then turn off the bike. If it does not do make the noise then you have confirmed the dealers statement.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:16 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 869 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
My 2022 did that initially for first 8000 miles than it stopped. I consider it normal. I agree pressure going out from somewhere. While I have no idea where it came from exactly my guess was it might be pressure escaping heads if valve is slightly open or he's mentioned earlier umbrella valve maybe. Tell your buddy not to stress about it.
Tell your buddy to relax, same here on 2022 RKS with 10k miles. Mine does same thing from the moment it was brand new and I agree with this post above I strongly believe is is air leaving heads through slightly open valve probably. I consider this normal engine sound saying to the rider “we are done with the ride already?” = sighs pssss 😁

Old 03-26-2024, 11:46 AM
DerekG
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My 21 does it most of the time, it's as sad as I am the rides over!

Quick Reply: strange sound from intake