Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS or no ABS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ABS or no ABS

ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

Sorry I don't beleive in ABS, I beleive in good riding skills.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ABS is one of the reasons I'm toying with moving up to an '08. And if I do, I might also go to a Road Glide. But I need to rent one for a day first to see if I like the way they fit and ride.

2008 Candy Red Sunglo Road Glide with ABS. I'm just hoping the wife doesn't notice that I bought a new bike.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ABS on bikes has been around a long time, if it was all that great, why is it still just a option, bmw,honda and now harley ofer it on some models but only as a option, I think I will stick with the old reliable standard brakes myself. I remember when abs first came on cars and how much trouble they were to fix if you had problems. ABS equiped bikes are only a tiny precentage of all the bikes sold without it, might as well buy a goldwing and get a airbag too.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

HD is LOOOOOOOOONG due for these, I will not purchase new bike without it.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
quint
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No question IMO - get ABS. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have an '05 Ultra, and I had my oldest daughter on the back on a Sunday ride around the lake when some ******** decided to try a 3-point turn across double yellow lines on a blind corner. I crested the hill, slammed on the brakes, and put a set of fine black skid marks about 100' along the road, until I backed off the brakes and managed to manouver around the back of him.

I now have an '08 SG with ABS on order!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 AM
quint
Tourer

I'm with WildBill (again). I have a BMW with ABS and it's unbelievably good in a panic braking situation. Like when an idiot decided he'd pull his SUV and boat trailer out of a gas station on a road in a 65 mph zone - WITHOUT LOOKING! Instant panic brake. It stopped straight and true, and you can always apply max braking force without locking up.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
bonz50
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: old95

I will not purchase new bike without it.
this is a somewhat amusing statement to me as even mighty honda only has abs on a couple machines... obviously you're welcome to your opinion and buy whatever ya like, makes no difference to me as long as you're out riding, who gives a flyin F, right?? they are not standard fare for any brand yet, even though the technology has been available now for 20+ yrs... for the most part, touring rigs only... if they were such a great feature you'd think all the manufacturers would find a way offer them on every machine (either standard or optional)... and buying only an ABS equipped machine with today's limited selection you're missing out on some great pieces of iron like anything from the dyna, softail and sporty line up... and many nice bikes from any of the other 4 jap brands as well... just a thought

Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

ABS on bikes has been around a long time, if it was all that great, why is it still just a option,
This is your best argement against ABS? It's purely a cost thing. 15 years ago ABS was $1500 on a $18000 Gold Wing. Only a Gold Wing biker could afford it. Plus the weight of the old units didn't make them practical on lighter bikes. As the technology improves and the cost of ABS comes down, I'm sure you will see them as an option onmore bikes. In fact, I expect ABS will be standard on manybikes, and even scooters in 10 years when the cost has come way down.

Beary

Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
bonz50
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: beary
In fact, I expect ABS will be standard on manybikes, and even scooters in 10 years when the cost has come way down.

Beary
or when the govt mandates it as standard equip...

Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't need yet another reason to visit my "local HD dealer" (to bleed my brakes) and his scanner, so I'll pass on the ABS. And I recall on one of my vehicles, when this box has issues the whole thingmust bereplaced, for $ 1500.00 I can think of other reasons not to buy-in.

Quick Reply: ABS or no ABS